Response to those against trading Ryan

First off, I have yet to read that anyone on the forum has said, implied or alluded to that Ryan is the reason why the Falcons are bad. So every time someone makes that Ryan ISN'T the reason the team is bad therefore the Falcons shouldn't trade him, it is irrelevant, and they are not responding to what is being said.

We agree that Ryan is NOT the reason the Falcons are doing poorly this year. He IS VERY GOOD but his IS old, football wise however. His best days are behind him. As good as he is now, it won't stay that way. Most agree that the defense is the main reason why the Falcons are not doing well, other than the coaching.

Here is the point I have made, and others agree to it:

By the time this team fixes the defense, and is good enough to make it to the playoffs, Ryan will either will be aged out, or near it. If Ryan was unable to win a SB when he was younger, with a team that fans want to see the Falcons return to, why would anyone believe sometime in the future, in a couple of years, Ryan will be good enough to win one then?

Even if that scenario did occur, and you lack faith as I do, that Ryan AT THAT TIME, will be good enough to win one, why risk wasting a chance at drafting a highly touted POTENTIALLY franchise QB that will likely require at least a top 5 pick to snag one?

For me anyway, the team either is transitioning or will transition dramatically in the near future. Why delay the inevitable?

Edited by Intellectually Honest
  • Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

LOL, you lost me coming out of the gate with this BS. 

Its like dead cap doesnt mean anything to these people.

Posted Images

56 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

First off, I have yet to read that anyone on the forum has said, implied or alluded to that Ryan is the reason why the Falcons are bad. So every time someone makes that Ryan ISN'T the reason the team is bad therefore the Falcons shouldn't trade him, it is irrelevant, and they are not responding to what is being said.

We agree that Ryan is NOT the reason the Falcons are doing poorly this year. He IS VERY GOOD but his IS old, football wise however. His best days are behind him. As good as he is now, it won't stay that way. Most agree that the defense is the main reason why the Falcons are not doing well, other than the coaching.

By the time this team fixes the defense, and is good enough to make it to the playoffs, Ryan will either will be aged out, or near it. If Ryan was unable to win a SB when he was younger, with a team that fans want to see the Falcons return to, why would anyone believe sometime in the future, in a couple of years, Ryan will be good enough to win one then?

Even if that scenario did occur, and you lack faith as I do, that Ryan AT THAT TIME, will be good enough to win one, why risk wasting a chance at drafting a highly touted POTENTIALLY franchise QB that will likely require at least a top 5 pick to snag one?

For me anyway, the team either is transitioning or will transition dramatically in the near future. Why delay the inevitable?

Please go look at the cap ramifications of trading Ryan then delete thread. Thanks in advance!

Just now, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Please go look at the cap ramifications of trading Ryan then delete thread. Thanks in advance!

I am aware of the trade ramifications and I also aware of probable futility of winning a SB in the next couple of years sticking with what we have. For me it's about winning a SB, not just winning some games just to make some other fans happy.

3 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

I am aware of the trade ramifications and I also aware of probable futility of winning a SB in the next couple of years sticking with what we have. For me it's about winning a SB, not just winning some games just to make some other fans happy.

Win a SB with a rookie QB and a gutted roster due to cap constraints? Bro. Please delete.

42 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

The Patriots had similar thoughts last offseason.  They felt Brady was simply too old to warrant anything over 20 million per year.  Brady called their bluff and went to Tampa.  The results are clear:

• TB is averaging 30 ppg and their turnovers per drive has gone from 21% to 8%.  The offense is the least penalized unit in football.  The Bucs are 4th in yards per point.  This is the Brady effect
  • NE with the great Bill Belichick are under .500.  An offense that finished outside the top 10 once in 20 years is ranked 25th.  Without Brady the offense is undisciplined and turning the ball over

Until the Falcons draft a capable replacement, Ryan should stay in Atlanta.  A 36 year old Ryan is still good enough to win a SB.  As NE is learning, you don’t just throw that away.  That’s something the Rankin Smith  Falcons would have done

1 minute ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Patriots had similar thoughts last offseason.  They felt Brady was simply too old to warrant anything over 20 million per year.  Brady called their bluff and went to Tampa.  The results are clear:

• TB is averaging 30 ppg and their turnovers per drive has gone from 21% to 8%.  The offense is the least penalized unit in football.  The Bucs are 4th in yards per point.  This is the Brady effect
  • NE with the great Bill Belichick are under .500.  An offense that finished outside the top 10 once in 20 years is ranked 25th.  Without Brady the offense is undisciplined and turning the ball over

Until the Falcons draft a capable replacement, Ryan should stay in Atlanta.  A 36 year old Ryan is still good enough to win a SB.  As NE is learning, you don’t just throw that away.  That’s something the Rankin Smith  Falcons would have done

What does Brady have to do with Ryan? Are you assuming because 1 is doing well at that age, the other will also? What is the history of 37+ year old starting QBs continuing to do well?

Just so you know, I am OK if the Falcons waited to trade Ryan in the offseason. Doesn't need to be done by the trade deadline this year.

1 minute ago, Intellectually Honest said:

What does Brady have to do with Ryan? Are you assuming because 1 is doing well at that age, the other will also? What is the history of 37+ year old starting QBs continuing to do well?

Just so you know, I am OK if the Falcons waited to trade Ryan in the offseason. Doesn't need to be done by the trade deadline this year.

Bro even if we traded him this offseason we'd have 31 players on the roster and be $34M over the cap. Delete.

6 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Brady is doing fine at 43.  Ryan is doing fine at 37.  The FO should focus their attention on the defensive personnel and coaching staff on offense.  The offensive personnel is beyond good enough

Just now, FalconsIn2012 said:

Brady is doing fine at 43.  Ryan is doing fine at 37.  The FO should focus their attention on the defense and coaching staff on offense.  The personnel is fine

Ryan is 35. To say he is doing fine at 37 is pure speculation. He might. But your response has nothing to do with anything I asked.

3 hours ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Ryan’s actually throwing as good if not better than Brady did at 35 ......and now.

Falcons issue has been coaching. Get the next hire right, we’ll be right back in playoffs next season.

As @FalconFanSince1970 is schooling you, it will take many seasons (If ever) if you gut roster thereby creating cap **** just to grab a shiny new wet-behind-ears toy who may or may not survive all that losing.

Just now, Vandy said:

Ryan’s actually throwing better than Brady did at 35....as well as now.

Falcons issue has been coaching. Get the next hire right, we’ll be right back in playoffs next season.

As @FalconFanSince1970 is schooling you, it will take many seasons (If ever) if you gut roster thereby creating cap **** just to grab a shiny toy wet-behind-ears rookie QB who may or may not survive all that.

Let's say Ryan is doing better than Brady at age 35, what does that have to do with Ryan at 37+? Seems you believe the Falcons will be back in the playoffs with fixing a few issues next year. This is where we disagree.

2 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Let's say Ryan is doing better than Brady at age 35, what does that have to do with Ryan at 37+? Seems you believe the Falcons will be back in the playoffs with fixing a few issues next year. This is where we disagree.

This is definitely where we disagree.

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

This is definitely where we disagree.

Yeah. Fixing the coaching and fixing the defense this year or next year is a BIG if. I see it as big IFs with or without Ryan. That being said, with a young QB you have more TIME to fix those big IFs than with an old QB. Agree?

Edited by Intellectually Honest
5 minutes ago, Intellectually Honest said:

Ryan is 35. To say he is doing fine at 37 is pure speculation. He might. But your response has nothing to do with anything I asked.

I guess I have no clue what you’re asking.  In your OP you say we should move on from Ryan even if he is still capable of leading us to a SB.  

You say it could take years to build a good defense.  I don’t agree.  As you saw last year, the flip can switch quickly.  We were an historically bad defense weeks 1-7.  Then we were a top 8 defense weeks 8-17.  

I agree that if you can draft Trey Lance or Zach Wilson in the 2nd round, you have to do it.  But that doesn’t mean you ditch Ryan.  No QB in this years draft is an upgrade over Ryan for at least 2-3 years.  So what’s the rush?