Do you think that Dan Quinn lost the locker room?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Maybe, but I'm a Quinn fan. This franchise didnt give him an elite QB to work with. We're a dynasty under Quinn with Luck, Prime Brady (not 2019-present version) or Wilson...

You’re so dumb lol 

4 hours ago, FalconsDream said:

The thing is, Quinn put his faith in Ryan. Quinn has flaws, every coach does. However I honestly believe Quinn can win with Wilson. With Rodgers. Ryan isn't bad but often panics under pressure. I like Quinn because Quinn tried hard ok?

Trying hard does not always translate into success. DQ is a good example.

1 hour ago, kschreck said:

Apparently you haven't done your research on Ryan's numbers under pressure to be sure your perception matches reality.

Quinn wasn't the problem but needs an elite QB to win a championship? That's interesting.....the double standards don't end around here. 

Too bad none of those QBs you mentioned can account for the piss poor game management we witnessed over the years.

My opinion of DQ is I believe it's possible that he could have future success in the NFL but I don't expect him to get an opportunity any time soon.  My guess is he doesn't even land a DC role in the NFL right away.  Either an NFL position coach or college DC.  For him to have success I believe a few things are going to have to happen, based on the last few years and things that have come out since he was fired:

• He has to learn to keep people close to him that don't always agree and are willing to speak up.  Those people who are willing to be honest with him and provide a different perspective can be a huge benefit to any leader, unless said leader is unwilling to listen and allow his perspective to be further developed and improved by different opinions.
  • He can't play favorites with players.  Play the bets players, regardless of contract, etc.
  • The rah rah coach - One of the concerns early on about DQ was that his rah rah message would grow stale....and it did.  This type of coach doesn't typically last long in the NFL.  Pete Carrol being one of the few that come to mind.  I don't know what the answer to this is.  I believe his ability to bring people together and cultivate the brotherhood was a big reason behind the super bowl run, though the magic that KS and MR worked together that year being the biggest reason.  The problem was, when adversity hit, first an epic SB loss and then the loss to the Eagles the year later, that message lost it's effectiveness.  To the point we landed this year where it was obvious that while the team still loves DQ as a person, it didn't appear that they had much confidence left in him as a HC. 

The reality is, DQ was a defensive-minded HC and the defense had the same exact problems when he left the team in 2020 that it had when he arrived.  That is not a successful coaching stint.  Matt Ryan is not the reason for DQs failures, DQ is.  Now it's up to him to learn and grow from this, same as any of us should aim to do from adversity. 

DQ was over the top with rahrah,slogens,fist bumps etc. This doesnt work when your not winning. He must of been a great salesman when he talked to mckay and blank. The real problem is they believed him. We need a GM that knows what he is looking at and can see through the BS.

2 hours ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

I don't think it's a dumb opinion that Tom Brady in his prime or Russ Wilson would have made Dan Quinn a top coach. (Andrew Luck no way imo) Dan Quinn's defenses usually get  hot) at the end of the year so Brady in his prime would be able to do enough to keep the team winning by out scoring people until the end of the year and Russ Wilson is good at avoiding sacks with a suspect o line. Matt Ryan could have made Dan Quinn a top 5 coach if he had Kyle Shanahan every year as offensive coordinator. The thing about Dan Quinn is his defenses don't gel until late in the season.

Really? Here’s Quinn’s falcons DVOA rankings during his tenure:

2015  18th

2016  19th

2017.  17th

2018  30th

2019. 17th

2020. Near bottom of league when fired

Come on man. No QB....including Brady...wins anything with combo of bad defense, non-existent running game, and bad coaching. He ‘s had at least 2 of 3 things covered his entire career, frankly all 3 for majority of it.

2 hours ago, kschreck said:

It's funny to me how many on here discount Ryan's MVP seasons and try to give a disproportionate amount of the credit to KS.  I look at that season as an OC setting a QB up to succeed (which is his job) and a QB taking that opportunity and running with it.

Do we discount Kobe and Jordan because Phil Jackson knew how to manage the team and make them successful?

I didn't realize KS had made so many QBs into MVPs and SB champs and it was MR that threw it all away by failing the team in the SB.

Last time I checked, even the play calling mastermind KS needed an elite defense to even make it to the SB last season.  It takes more than just 1 great mind to make the magic happen.

Truth to tell, Ryan was every bit as good in 2018 with Sark as his OC as he was with Shanny in his MVP 2016 season. All which proves (to me) that as a savvy vet comfortable in that system, Ryan just needs to stay in WCO with a competent coach more than he needs the greatest OC out there. 

I have no doubt MR would Be thriving with Bevell at OC. Bevell’s not a better OC than Koetter per se, but he runs a pure WCO system.

2 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Truth to tell, Ryan was every bit as good in 2018 with Sark as his OC as he was with Shanny in his MVP 2016 season. All which proves (to me) that as a savvy vet comfortable in that system, Ryan needs to stay in WCO more than he needs the greatest OC out there. 

I have no doubt MR would Be thriving with Bevell at OC. Bevell’s not a better OC than Koetter per se, but he runs a pure WCO system.

It's definitely a good fit for his skill set.  This is why I was hoping play calling would be handed over to Knapp.  Not because I think he's a great OC, but because of fit.

12 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Really? Here’s Quinn’s falcons DVOA ranking during his tenure:

2015  18th

2016  19th

2017.  17th

2018  30th

2019. 17th

2020. Near bottom of league when fired

Come on man. No QB....including Brady...wins anything with bad defense, non-existent running game, and bad coaching.

Obviously Ryan needs everything perfect to be successful.  Why can't you see that?

13 hours ago, FalconsDream said:

That was an amazing interception. Not on Wilson. The fumble/sack on a potential game winning drive was on Ryan. Quinn deserved to be fired because 0-5. However Ryan did him no favors

Sack not on Ryan he put a guy on a free Blitzer and got a blindside hit because Freeman made a financial decision.  Blaming Ryan for a fumble on that play when he audibled to get himself a protector and had a guy breaking open late for what would have been an easy pass is nonsense.  Like blaming a guy on the bench for a missed shot in basketball cause he didn't believe hard enough.

Edited by #84
13 hours ago, 4dabirds said:

I think Quinn lost his ability (if he ever had it) to run practices effectively in order for the team to be prepared. I think Shanahan made the team better through his running of the offense in practices, and that it rubbed off on the defense to at least step up at times. The defense was forced to practice against a very good offense, and that in turn made them better. After Shanahan's departure the offense became less dynamic, and the defense fell off even more. This trend continued until the change in running the defense last season, where we saw the team play better. I don't know if Quinn ever really had a grasp on how to prepare this team, because for the last three seasons the team looked unprepared more often than not, and completely unable to overcome adversity. DQ was never up to the task of being an head coach IMO.

You nailed it when you mentioned the inability to overcome adversity.  A great coach knows how to stem the tide when things aren't going the right way, in game and during the course of the season.  This is a skill that Quinn lacked

1 hour ago, lostnmexico said:

Can't say anything about thelocker room....I was nowhere close to it but I can say this.....Quinn definitely lost ME with:  EMBRACE THE SUCK!

Yeah, it's cool to try to emulate the incredible legacy of the Navy Seal teams, but a football team is a far cry from that sort of sacrifice & courage.  So to try to apply this little slogan was just pure idiocy from the get go LMAO!

Short answer, yes.  Not in the traditional sense that he was disliked by the players but I believe that there was a degree of complacency that Quinn was directly responsible for due to the whole Brotherhood mantra. You have to hold players accountable and have a sense of urgency.  I kind of got the feeling that Quinn was just biding his time until Blank put him out of his misery after the loss against the Bears.  There is a delicate balancing act between being a players coach and having the respect of your team to get the most out of them that Pete Carroll seems to have mastered.   

15 hours ago, FalconsDream said:
  • Maybe, but I'm a Quinn fan. This franchise didnt give him an elite QB to work with. We're a dynasty under Quinn with Luck, Prime Brady (not 2019-present version) or Wilson...

Yeah because having an MVP QB and being up 25 points in the Super Bowl was all on Ryan. Luck, Brady or Wilson, with our terrible Defense. Would be a Dynasty. GTFOH Rook

51 minutes ago, Falcons Fan MVP said:

If Ryan played for the Patriots or Ravens he would have a ring.

I can agree with that.  To put it differently, if he didn't have two HCs that were notorious for their bad game management, he would most likely have a ring.  

12 hours ago, Slumerican said:

Quinn threw all his cards on the table during the superbowl.. It literally looked like he was a broken man after that game.. He had nothing else to offer imo

Agreed, SB was the dagger, the Eagles loss then put the final nail in the coffin. 

I think DQ lost the locker room somewhere between Bears and Pack.  They looked dejected the whole way through the Pack game.  They weren't in it from the start.  Not saying they could have stomped Rodgers, saying they didn't look like they cared at all.  Heads were hanging, slow to stance, slow to start, just looked like they were phoning it in.

Note: They did not look that way in Minnie.  They looked like they were on a mission against the Vikes.  

Want to say that's a call-out to DQ?  I don't have any idea.  Maybe, maybe not.  But the team that beat the Vikes would have beat the Cowboys and the Bears.  The team that played the Packers would have lost to the 2017 Browns.  Just saying.  

They're all good enough to be NFL players, so attitude counts for something when the physical limits are all basically the same.

11 minutes ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

DQ should've been fired after Packers game. No shame in losing, but 2-3 receivers running wide open on some plays. ☹️

Agreed, if there was any doubt left, that Packers game should have removed it.  Not very often you see an NFL team so unprepared for and checked out of a game

4 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Agreed, if there was any doubt left, that Packers game should have removed it.  Not very often you see an NFL so unprepared for and checked out of a game

Plus, the Carolina game carried more weight(division)and better chance at winning. 

Overall talent isn't the issue.

Committment to the run on offense and a scheme our defense can competently run is what's needed imo.