Someone tell me why Andrew Luck gets more praised than Matt Ryan?

BirdGangATL

3 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Listen, I don’t know you and you don’t know me but we’re both here on our own time so I’m betting you’re a Falcons fan too. 

I hope you and I both live long enough that you can prove me wrong on this. 

So you can go ahead and believe what you want.  I already said in my post that you are quoting that Ryan is marginally statistically better than Luck lifetime.  And who knows, Ryan’s final chapters aren’t written.  So if the Falcons win enough Super Bowls to overturn the embedded memory of the 16 at-large HoF selectors then sure, he’ll get the love.  We’ll have to wait and see.  

But the OP question asks why Luck gets more respect than Ryan  28-3 is the answer.  Like it or lump it.   Andrew Luck has overcome extreme obstacles to achieve some very significant stats in the NFL and for the Colts.  You can not argue that he was a good QB, on paper among the best of all time in some categories.  Matt Ryan led the greatest collapse in the history of pro sports, an epic meltdown that has secured his legacy despite all the good he’s accomplished.  Fair or not.  

Feel at liberty to use facts to show me why I’m incorrect. 

Live long enough to prove what? There’s Nothing to prove, you’ve already been proven wrong.

And I already provided facts.

You came in with an agenda, and because of that are just so FOS to grasp any true facts. 

13 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

100%.  But lucky for Matty it's not up to me to make that vote!.  That collapse is AT LEAST 50% on him and always will be.  It wasn't just the defense that took the 4th quarter off.   It wasn't just DQ.  All the offensive production of the second half went through #2.  

So yeah, forever, for beyond the rest of his life, that is is legacy, the larger than life legend that HE created.  

I hope he can contribute and I believe he's not going anywhere so as a fan, I am pulling for him to win.  But Hall of Fame?  I think he could put up even bigger numbers for the remainder of his career and not make the HoF selection because Matt Ryan's number is 28-3.  Feel free to wish for a different outcome.  

Matt Ryan is 28-3 and always will be.  

Unless he wins at least 2 Super Bowls.

If you blame Ryan for 28-3 you're a crack head.  He hit Sanu with a dime to win the game negated by a Matthew's hold.  He called a perfect protection audible and Freeman chose actively not to block.  He put us in posistion to win that game many times, but the defense didn't hold, some guys made mistakes, and one guy (Freeman) made a financial decision cause he thought the game was already over and his legacy was secure.  Blaming Ryan isn't based on actual production or evidence its that old talking head nonsense that QBs control all outcomes on. Every play.  Ryan went 17-23 would have been 19-25 at least without other peoples miscues and yall still don't think he played well enough. 

How dare he throw a single incompletion and where was he in pass coverage.  Nit a single sack or rushing TD why did we even draft him.  What a bust doesn't know how to finish /purple

Edited by #84

14 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Live long enough to prove what? There’s Nothing to prove, you’re already wrong.

And I already provided facts.

You're FOS.

Nothing personal. The OP asks why Luck gets more love than Ryan. With me so far or do you disagree?  

You can be “loved” and respected as an athlete without winning a championship. Heck, I still love Dominique Wilkins.  He’s in the Naismith HoF. Proves my point. Mountains of love and respect for ‘Nique. And last I checked, last time the Hawks were any good they were in. St. Louis.  Phil Niekro is a hero and beloved and his jersey is rightfully retired. No championship. He played back when the Braves were the Falcons of baseball. 

You can be adored and admired by the sports world without a championship.  That is not Ryan’s problem.  

You can love Ryan if you want. Nice guy. Was a great football player. 16-24 over his last 40 despite having the best weapons at his disposal. You can bathe in the fantasia that he’ll do better starting now. I hope you’re right.

But it’s gonna take more than you whining about me being FOS to change the trajectory of the Falcons and until history is undone he’s always going to be a dark horse to analysts and HoF. 

So I guess you’re confusing your love for Ryan with the actual OP question. 

I reread the post. Doesn’t say anything about me or you. 

So instead of blaming me for the sports world disrespecting our #2, why don’t you convince me why I should?  That’s how discussions work. 

26 minutes ago, #84 said:

If you blame Ryan for 28-3 you're a crack head.  He hit Sanu with a dime to win the game negated by a Matthew's hold.  He called a perfect protection audible and Freeman chose actively not to block.  He put us in posistion to win that game many times, but the defense didn't hold, some guys made mistakes, and one guy (Freeman) made a financial decision cause he thought the game was already over and his legacy was secure.  Blaming Ryan isn't based on actual production or evidence its that old talking head nonsense that QBs control all outcomes on. Every play.  Ryan went 17-23 would have been 19-25 at least without other peoples miscues and yall still don't think he played well enough. 

How dare he throw a single incompletion and where was he in pass coverage.  Nit a single sack or rushing TD why did we even draft him.  What a bust doesn't know how to finish /purple

I do more than that. I blame Ryan for his share of 7-9, 7-9, 1-5. He gets credit for the wins and he gets credit for the loss. That’s what team leaders do. Is that not fair?  It’s not just the Super Bowl that is the Falcons legacy problem. It’s the way we’ve followed it up. Not hungry, just out to lunch. 

Blame me instead if it makes it easier. This crackhead has seen every game Ryan has played with Atl. 

53 minutes ago, Killing Floor said:

Nothing personal. The OP asks why Luck gets more love than Ryan. With me so far or do you disagree?  

You can be “loved” and respected as an athlete without winning a championship. Heck, I still love Dominique Wilkins.  He’s in the Naismith HoF. Proves my point. Mountains of love and respect for ‘Nique. And last I checked, last time the Hawks were any good they were in. St. Louis.  Phil Niekro is a hero and beloved and his jersey is rightfully retired. No championship. He played back when the Braves were the Falcons of baseball. 

You can be adored and admired by the sports world without a championship.  That is not Ryan’s problem.  

You can love Ryan if you want. Nice guy. Was a great football player. 16-24 over his last 40 despite having the best weapons at his disposal. You can bathe in the fantasia that he’ll do better starting now. I hope you’re right.

But it’s gonna take more than you whining about me being FOS to change the trajectory of the Falcons and until history is undone he’s always going to be a dark horse to analysts and HoF. 

So I guess you’re confusing your love for Ryan with the actual OP question. 

I reread the post. Doesn’t say anything about me or you. 

So instead of blaming me for the sports world disrespecting our #2, why don’t you convince me why I should?  That’s how discussions work. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/8/1/20708785/matt-ryan-nfl-atlanta-falcons-quarterback-rankings-respect-stats

I don’t “love” Matt Ryan. My point has always been how disrespected he is in general, but especially by many of his own team’s fanbase. Every team has smart but also not-so-smart self-entitled fans who really have no clue on what all it takes just to get to a SB....much less, in grasping or fully understanding the difference between team and individual performances. 

Hate to break it to you, but best you hear this from a friend. To lamely try and tag 28-3 on him puts you in that latter category. :ninja:

I also don’t hate Andrew luck. Unfortunate he never fulfilled his potential, but nfl history is full of similar stories.  But that’s his story, unfulfilled potential. 

Whether or not Ryan ever he gets a ring ...as again, knowledgeable folks know SB wins are a team thingy (see also Dan Marino’s career with dolphins)....Ryan (and Marino) unquestionably fulfilled his.

Selah.

35 minutes ago, #84 said:

Question:

So what’s your take?  

3 minutes ago, Vandy said:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nfl/2019/8/1/20708785/matt-ryan-nfl-atlanta-falcons-quarterback-rankings-respect-stats

I don’t “love” Matt Ryan. My point has always been how disrespected he is in general, but especially by his own team’s fans. 

To lamely try and tag 28-3 on him puts you in that same category.

Fair enough. 

And I Believe W this week. 

Matt Ryan earned MVP. That’s more than mere respect. He deserved it unquestionably. Fully earned.

But I think for perpetuity he will be haunted by that one game. I genuinely believe that is why he is not as respected outside Falcons fandom as his stats should reflect.  So if there’s an open forum thread about why the outside world of sports disses Matty I am convinced it’s because the greatest opportunity of his life, his greatest showcase was an historic failure. Whether or not we agree on all the reasons for that disaster, that is why sports writers and analysts will overlook him.  Is this not fair to say?

20 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Fair enough. 

And I Believe W this week. 

Matt Ryan earned MVP. That’s more than mere respect. He deserved it unquestionably. Fully earned.

But I think for perpetuity he will be haunted by that one game. I genuinely believe that is why he is not as respected outside Falcons fandom as his stats should reflect.  So if there’s an open forum thread about why the outside world of sports disses Matty I am convinced it’s because the greatest opportunity of his life, his greatest showcase was an historic failure. Whether or not we agree on all the reasons for that disaster, that is why sports writers and analysts will overlook him.  Is this not fair to say?

That’s fair.

But come on, hanging one’s hat on what some sports writers and so-called analysts say (I.e. the J Rome’s/C Cowherds/N Wright/S A S/S Bayless’s of the world) which are some of the dumbest/clueless creatures walking the planet earth. And it’s from them most of the not-so-smart fan bases I mentioned earlier form their false impressions on players from.

So, there’s that. 

Again.. what's weird is how this thread started by asking why Luck gets more praise than Ryan. Now we have a poster who has admittedly said their perception of Ryan is inferior to Luck because Ryan's connection to the Falcons Super Bowl appearance. Yet, for some odd reason, Luck's playoff stats are MUCH WORSE than Ryan's..

It's too bad Luck never made it to the big game.. Maybe then he would be treated like Ryan is? I mean looking at Luck's body of work in the playoffs, there's no question he played a major part in them not getting there. But, that's because of the people around him, right? Sure...

This coming from the person blaming someone with a 144 QBR for losing the game.. Even if you wanna say "50% his fault", that's still ridiculous..

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

That’s fair.

But come on, sports writers and so-called analysts (I.e. the J Rome’s/C Cowherds/S A S/S Bayless’s of the world) are some of the dumbest/clueless creatures walking the planet earth. And it’s from them most of the not-so-smart fan bases I mentioned earlier form their false impressions on players from.

So, there’s that. 

Hahaha!  True!  I never said sportscasters aren't dumb!  

Anyway, most of 'em.  Except Papi Le Batard.  Right?  He's alright.

This Sunday should be W at home.  Let's start there.  1-0 this week.  

My feeling is if Luck was here, yall would be b*t*h*n* about Luck even more so than Ryan. In Luck's 6 year career, he has a total of 127 turnovers with 44 being fumbles, though I'm not sure on the recovery rate on the fumbles.  M Ryan's first 6 years he had 105 turnovers with 28 being fumbles.  Then throw in the sacks and Luck had 174 vs Ryan's 157.  So Luck had more turnovers and took more sacks than Ryan.  I didn't even try to look at the come from behind victories as we all know M Ryan has a bunch of them.  

2 hours ago, dawgsjw said:

My feeling is if Luck was here, yall would be b*t*h*n* about Luck even more so than Ryan. In Luck's 6 year career, he has a total of 127 turnovers with 44 being fumbles, though I'm not sure on the recovery rate on the fumbles.  M Ryan's first 6 years he had 105 turnovers with 28 being fumbles.  Then throw in the sacks and Luck had 174 vs Ryan's 157.  So Luck had more turnovers and took more sacks than Ryan.  I didn't even try to look at the come from behind victories as we all know M Ryan has a bunch of them.  

Ryan 8th all-time, Luck tied 54th.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

10 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Question:

So what’s your take?  

Three things:

1. Media coverage: Luck was a unanimous number one overall pick so of course he was already going to have hype.  It was compounded by the fact that Luck os a fun interview guy for the press.  He gave them interesting stories to tell in press conferences.  Ryan doesn't he is vanilla and bland as **** and gives you nothing to talk about.  So by nature gives pundits less reason to discuss him.

2. Franchise difference: the colts were a machine under previous QB Manning and he was expected to reproduce those results.  People assumed Luck would get a title (he didnt') but even without it Colts are a franchise with tons of history so easy pick for the playoffs and as a shock SB team any year.  Falcons are the Falcons this franchise before Ryan had been in disarray for decades.  Not as fun or as safe of a dark horse early season pick year in and year out.  So again his team is mentioned less so he is mentioned less.

3. Julio Jones:  this one is harder to explain, because its so weird.  While no one counts Calvin Johnsons production against Stafford/AB or Smith Schusters against Big Ben/Hill and Kelces against Mahomes/Hiltons against Luck/Harrison and Wayne against Manning/Rice against Young or Montana people tend to count all of Julio's production against Ryan.  Normally great QB/WR combos are given shared credit but in the case of Ryan almost from the moment Julio arrived all credit was placed upon him.  Its a weird factor I can't explain because it makes zero sense.  Roddy and eventually Tony G were given the normal QB receiver shared credit for success but the narrative was always Julio carried Ryan.  Again no explaining it just a though a lot of people have that you can't really do anything about cause it's relatively baseless.  Discrediting a QB for having a star receiver on his roster is ludicrous.

On 10/21/2020 at 4:14 PM, BirdGangATL said:

When all he does is get hurt and barely make the playoffs and turn the ball over all the time?  While Ryan a former MVP who took the falcons to the nfc championship twice and 1 super bowl appearance but yet Luck is praised like he a a shoo in for the HOF?  

Ryan is like the Frank Gore of QBs. Luck is like Gale Sayers.

On 10/23/2020 at 9:17 AM, Killing Floor said:

Listen, I don’t know you and you don’t know me but we’re both here on our own time so I’m betting you’re a Falcons fan too. 

I hope you and I both live long enough that you can prove me wrong on this. 

So you can go ahead and believe what you want.  I already said in my post that you are quoting that Ryan is marginally statistically better than Luck lifetime.  And who knows, Ryan’s final chapters aren’t written.  So if the Falcons win enough Super Bowls to overturn the embedded memory of the 16 at-large HoF selectors then sure, he’ll get the love.  We’ll have to wait and see.  

But the OP question asks why Luck gets more respect than Ryan  28-3 is the answer.  Like it or lump it.   Andrew Luck has overcome extreme obstacles to achieve some very significant stats in the NFL and for the Colts.  You can not argue that he was a good QB, on paper among the best of all time in some categories.  Matt Ryan led the greatest collapse in the history of pro sports, an epic meltdown that has secured his legacy despite all the good he’s accomplished.  Fair or not.  

Feel at liberty to use facts to show me why I’m incorrect. 

You basically dismissed every point you made when your MR hate floated to the top like the turd it really is.

“MR led the greatest collapse in history” 

That right there shows your incapable of being fair or honest.  What a joke you are bro. Do you not realize that folks see right through your bull ****?

On 10/23/2020 at 2:01 PM, TheTrue7 said:

Again.. what's weird is how this thread started by asking why Luck gets more praise than Ryan. Now we have a poster who has admittedly said their perception of Ryan is inferior to Luck because Ryan's connection to the Falcons Super Bowl appearance. Yet, for some odd reason, Luck's playoff stats are MUCH WORSE than Ryan's..

It's too bad Luck never made it to the big game.. Maybe then he would be treated like Ryan is? I mean looking at Luck's body of work in the playoffs, there's no question he played a major part in them not getting there. But, that's because of the people around him, right? Sure...

This coming from the person blaming someone with a 144 QBR for losing the game.. Even if you wanna say "50% his fault", that's still ridiculous..

Agreed 100%.

It certainly is funny as you examine these fake posters more closely, they’re masquerading as objective pundits.  
But as you focus on their takes you begin to see the real MR hater inside. 

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952lwbodw1gqevxtph98n

45 minutes ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

You basically dismissed every point you made when your MR hate floated to the top like the turd it really is.

“MR led the greatest collapse in history” 

That right there shows your incapable of being fair or honest.  What a joke you are bro. Do you not realize that folks see right through your bull ****?

Ok. We can keep going. Or as my Tennessee grandma says, “bury it in the yard and bark at it why don’t ya”.

Yes. 100% the reason Matty never gets more respect than Luck is 28-3.  Don’t blame me or anybody else for that.  Asked and answered.

And no HoF at-large will ever forget that.  

But you can scrawl notes into your manifesto and post a follow up in 20 years if I’m wrong.  

If making you have a meltdown that that Ryan isn’t as respected as Luck is wrong, I don’t want to be right.  

And you never answered the question.  Why do you think the sports world is so hard on Ryan?