Someone tell me why Andrew Luck gets more praised than Matt Ryan?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Remember Ryan's 4th down conversion for a TD last week. He rolled out, thought about running for it. He got cut off and backed up a step for separation then lofted a soft fall back jumper to Julio who

1 post... seems legit

Because he was supposed to be the league's heir apparent of Peyton Manning.   I liken Ryan to Jim Kelly. Kelly was one of the better QBs of his time and was really good, but never got the re

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Nothing about what I said is LMAOABLE, Ryan did have the best WR CORPS in the NFL and one of the better OLs for a while. 

Julio and Roddy would be great no matter who their QBs were, I’ll give you that....but sanu was a disappointment in Cincy, and he and Gabriel even more so since they left ATL.

Ridley.....Hooper...Gage....Jenkins.....Douglas....Snelling/Freeman/Quizz.......there’s a long list of receivers+ RBs who are receivers who should thank their lucky stars they hooked up with Ryan.

And Again, lmao on your OL take. If only that were halfway true.

2 hours ago, Lornoth said:

That's a big reason I think it's better to build the team then find the QB instead of the other way around. If you drop a franchise QB into a terrible team you can ruin him before he ever has a chance. 

Very true.

28 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Julio and Roddy would be great no matter who their QBs were, I’ll give you that....but sanu was a disappointment in Cincy, and he and Gabriel ever more so since they left ATL.

Ridley.....Hooper...Gage....Douglas....there’s a long list of receivers who should thank their stars they hooked up with Ryan.

And Again, lmao on your OL take. If only that were halfway true.

Ridley, Gage, and Hoop would probably ball no matter where. Gage was just as good with Shaub throwing him the ball. As far as OL's go we were top 5 in 2016, #8 in 2010, #10 in 2009, #8 in 2018, #8 in 2017,  #9 in 2008 and we are actually #15 this year. So while our OL's have been unfairly maligned, we have had some good ones. Everyone blames the OL for Ryan's short comings to close. Ryan is just not a closer. 

14 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Ridley, Gage, and Hoop would probably ball no matter where. Gage was just as good with Shaub throwing him the ball. As far as OL's go we were top 5 in 2016, #8 in 2010, #10 in 2009, #8 in 2018, #8 in 2017,  #9 in 2008 and we are actually #15 this year. So while our OL's have been unfairly maligned, we have had some good ones. Everyone blames the OL for Ryan's short comings to close. Ryan is just not a closer. 

LOL. No they wouldn't. Hooper has not been effective in Cleveland’s passing game. Gage was drafted for and would still be a Special Teamer if not for Ryan.  Ridley would not be near as far along if drafted by 75% of other teams in nfl.

OL was very good in ‘16, good in ‘10 and ‘17....and went downhill from there. They were horrible in 2013-15 and in 2019...like league worst horrible. That’s 3 good-to-great OL’s And 4 horrible OL’s (with the other years including this year mediocre) in Ryan’s 13 seasons.

2 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

Let’s face it, Andrew Luck was a very smart, talented QB just like MR.

Much like Matt, he had to compensate for many franchise shortcomings where personnel on both sides of the ball never fully materialized.

It cost Luck his career & fortunately for us, MR has been able to endure the punishment.

Outside of those things, the comparison is used as a tool by a few trolls to hate on MR. But it’s easy to see through that nonsense. 

It’s not hate to say Luck was better than Ryan. Luck had far more talent he was wasted in Indy. It’s sad what they did. 

21 minutes ago, Vandy said:

LOL. No they wouldn't. Hooper has not been effective in Cleveland’s passing game. Gage was drafted for and would still be a Special Teamer if not for Ryan.  Ridley would not be near as far along if drafted by 75% of other teams in nfl.

OL was very good in ‘16, good in ‘10 and ‘17....and went downhill from there. They were horrible in 2013-15 and in 2019...like league worst horrible. That’s 3 good-to-great OL’s And 4 horrible OL’s (with the other years including this year mediocre) in Ryan’s 13 seasons.

Hooper is actually playing well, not sure where you got ineffective from. Also your point is laughable about russell Gage. He caught 9 passes for 58 yards from Shaub in 2019. Come on man, you gotta spin it better. Ryan has had 5 top 10 Olines, while Luck's were miserable. Like I said he did more with less. 

5 minutes ago, Osiruz said:

Hooper is actually playing well, not sure where you got ineffective from. Also your point is laughable about russell Gage. He caught 9 passes for 58 yards from Shaub in 2019. Come on man, you gotta spin it better. Ryan has had 5 top 10 Olines, while Luck's were miserable. Like I said he did more with less. 

Hoop was a 3rd round pick who evolved into a Top 10 NFL TE with Ryan. And no, he’s on pace for 58/550/3, which is well below his last few seasons here.

Gage is one of my fav TD picks, but you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s be doing anything in passing game if drafted on a team with most other QBs.

58 minutes ago, Ovie_Lover said:

It’s not hate to say Luck was better than Ryan. Luck had far more talent he was wasted in Indy. It’s sad what they did. 

I didn’t say it was. I complimented both as excellent QB’s. Disagree that he was superior to MR though. 
But some haters use luck to try & disparage Ryan no doubt. 

6 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Luck:

Most NFL wins for rookie quarterback?  is that still current?  11-5?

Beat Manning's single season passing yards.

Previously held NFL single season and single game passing yards records.

2nd place all time passing TDs first 6 seasons.

3rd all time passing yards first 6 seasons, just edging out Ryan.

89.9 Lifetime passer rating.

***Ryan has a much better lifetime passer rating.  And to the point, Luck has had his career stalled by injuries.  

It's easy to say the Colts aren't that great.  But if you look at Luck on his own he's been a consistent producer.  

You can love the Falcons and Matt Ryan and still accept that Andrew Luck has also been really great for Indy.

But the quick and harsh answer to your OP:

When these chaps are retired and guest color commentators on ESPN or doing infomercials and the HoF nominations are in every year, there's one stat that Andrew Luck will never be able to take from Matt Ryan, 28-3.  Now if Ryan wins not one Super Bowl, but a few, enough to smooth over the most significant, badgering record he holds, then he'll regain the respect of the NFL and the football fans outside of ATL and probably HoF.  Until then, ain't nobody ever going to take him as a serious HoF jacket winner.  He'll win some games and hopefully turn this year and next year around.  But he won't get out from under that 1 game until he wins the ship more than once.  And for all Ryan's MVP and franchise records 28-3 is his legend until he changes it.  I hate it for him because I know he's been a great QB, best we've ever had.  

So you’re going to use a game where Ryan had a QBR of 144 as the reason NOT to put him in the hall of fame????   

and Luck did go 11-5 as a rookie, same rookie record as . . . Matt Ryan

2 hours ago, Vandy said:

Hoop was a 3rd round pick who evolved into a Top 10 NFL TE with Ryan. And no, he’s on pace for 58/550/3, which is well below his last few seasons here.

Gage is one of my fav TD picks, but you’re kidding yourself if you think he’s be doing anything in passing game if drafted on a team with most other QBs.

Sure his numbers are down but he is playing excellent he is just being targeted less. He was already a good Y TE coming out of college. 

And I beg to differ on gage. Like I said he played well with Shaub, before he came on. He was a player who was determined to make something of himself. To write off his hard work and chalk it up to ryan is cheating and robbing the man of the props he deserves. 

I will give you Douglas though. 

On 10/21/2020 at 3:36 PM, DonOfThemBirds said:

Because he was supposed to be the league's heir apparent of Peyton Manning.

I liken Ryan to Jim Kelly. Kelly was one of the better QBs of his time and was really good, but never got the recognition that he should outside of the Bills failures to win any of those 4 consecutive SB appearances despite being a HOF QB.

Ryan has to win a SB, or else it will always be about not winning SB 51.

It's true. 

4 hours ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

So you’re going to use a game where Ryan had a QBR of 144 as the reason NOT to put him in the hall of fame????   

and Luck did go 11-5 as a rookie, same rookie record as . . . Matt Ryan

100%.  But lucky for Matty it's not up to me to make that vote!.  That collapse is AT LEAST 50% on him and always will be.  It wasn't just the defense that took the 4th quarter off.   It wasn't just DQ.  All the offensive production of the second half went through #2.  

So yeah, forever, for beyond the rest of his life, that is is legacy, the larger than life legend that HE created.  

I hope he can contribute and I believe he's not going anywhere so as a fan, I am pulling for him to win.  But Hall of Fame?  I think he could put up even bigger numbers for the remainder of his career and not make the HoF selection because Matt Ryan's number is 28-3.  Feel free to wish for a different outcome.  

Matt Ryan is 28-3 and always will be.  

Unless he wins at least 2 Super Bowls.

4 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

Wasn’t a record Big Ben and Dak had 13

Yep, was a franchise thing.  

Ryan has great stats.  But he has a cloud over his record.  So when ATL fans hear analysts heap love on Luck and then dog Ryan it's tough to hear.  I get it.  I think Matt Ryan was an amazing quarterback.  He's been 16-24 for his last 40 games with a lot of star power at his disposal so maybe he goes 11-5 this year?  I would love that.  Luck and Ryan have very similar stats but Luck achieved those stats with some pretty heavy injuries.  Pound for pound Matt Ryan is marginally better lifetime/career.  But 28-3 so unfortunately the HoF will have to find a way to work around that.  Fair or not.  

But Luck's career also has the story line of a comeback.  Stats are important but so is overcoming obstacles, remember it's not a computer that decides who gets the jacket.  If Ryan overcomes the obstacle of 28-3 and wins a Super Bowl he's broken even.  If he wins more than one I think for sure he will go to the Hall.  

But I don't get to decide.

8 hours ago, Osiruz said:

The thing with you is that it’s tough to see any fair sense of love of our team bro.

I’ll be honest with you Osi, maybe if a decent percentage of your posts showed some sort of love, loyalty, fairness, appreciation to our players & team, it would be easy to let you slide. But it’s always you being negative & calling others HOMERS.

I’ll be honest, it’s been a freak show with this team & I too can be overly pessimistic about it but please try to show that soft underbelly that I know must be there somewhere Osi!

5 hours ago, HASHBROWN3 said:

The thing with you is that it’s tough to see any fair sense of love of our team bro.

I’ll be honest with you Osi, maybe if a decent percentage of your posts showed some sort of love, loyalty, fairness, appreciation to our players & team, it would be easy to let you slide. But it’s always you being negative & calling others HOMERS.

I’ll be honest, it’s been a freak show with this team & I too can be overly pessimistic about it but please try to show that soft underbelly that I know must be there somewhere Osi!

Lol bro, what's my love for the falcons have to do with being fair? I can love the falcons all you want and I've been sticking up for unfairly maligned players like Takk, Julio, and the Ol over the years. I am just saying Luck at his best is better than Ryan at his best and I am a Ryan fan who wanted him on the Falcons coming out of college. 

7 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

100%.  But lucky for Matty it's not up to me to make that vote!.  That collapse is AT LEAST 50% on him and always will be.  It wasn't just the defense that took the 4th quarter off.   It wasn't just DQ.  All the offensive production of the second half went through #2.  

So yeah, forever, for beyond the rest of his life, that is is legacy, the larger than life legend that HE created.  

I hope he can contribute and I believe he's not going anywhere so as a fan, I am pulling for him to win.  But Hall of Fame?  I think he could put up even bigger numbers for the remainder of his career and not make the HoF selection because Matt Ryan's number is 28-3.  Feel free to wish for a different outcome.  

What a crock. You can 28-3 all you want,  at least Ryan was in a SB. Which is something  Luck never even sniffed.

Ryan 4th all-time career QB passer rating in playoffs. 4th all-time. Where is Luck on this list?

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/pass_rating_career_playoffs.htm

50% on him? LOL. Get out of here with your nonsense.

33 minutes ago, Vandy said:

What a crock. You can 28-3 all you want,  at least Ryan was in a SB. Which is something  Luck never even sniffed.

Ryan 4th all-time career QB passer rating in playoffs. 4th all-time. Where is Luck on this list?

Luck quit on his team. Him and his daddy weasled themselves into millions. 

8 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

Ok.  You keep thinking that

3 hours ago, Vandy said:

Listen, I don’t know you and you don’t know me but we’re both here on our own time so I’m betting you’re a Falcons fan too. 

I hope you and I both live long enough that you can prove me wrong on this. 

So you can go ahead and believe what you want.  I already said in my post that you are quoting that Ryan is marginally statistically better than Luck lifetime.  And who knows, Ryan’s final chapters aren’t written.  So if the Falcons win enough Super Bowls to overturn the embedded memory of the 16 at-large HoF selectors then sure, he’ll get the love.  We’ll have to wait and see.  

But the OP question asks why Luck gets more respect than Ryan  28-3 is the answer.  Like it or lump it.   Andrew Luck has overcome extreme obstacles to achieve some very significant stats in the NFL and for the Colts.  You can not argue that he was a good QB, on paper among the best of all time in some categories.  Matt Ryan led the greatest collapse in the history of pro sports, an epic meltdown that has secured his legacy despite all the good he’s accomplished.  Fair or not.  

Feel at liberty to use facts to show me why I’m incorrect. 

3 hours ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Ok.  You keep thinking that

I do think it.  Ryan is the best we’ve had and the best we got. So if/when the Falcons win it’s under him. 

But the human sports writers and analysts and experts love Luck and pan Ryan even though Ryan is A) better overall and B ) still has time to re-write his legacy.  Ryan is forever 28-3 unless he overcomes it by proving all his millions of disbelievers wrong.  

So when someone asks why Luck gets love and respect?  What am I missing?  Sports writers and analysts love his story. It’s a good story. 

And Matt Ryan is a historically great QB who...we all know his story. 

I’m a fan and I’m looking forward to this season breaking another NFL record, 11-5, let’s go!  Do that and some of the on-air haters will change their tune.