Is Falcons Franchise Really Improving Under Blank?

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now compare them to the Smiths era. I will wait...

Yeah I support Blank. Hes a fan. Wants to win

Posted Images

9 hours ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

Some of y'all are just too **** young to know haw terrible times have been with this team. These are the good days. Y'all make it obvious you're newbies.

I’ve been down since ‘83 & admittedly oblivious to the stankin Rankin management days. However, I fondly recall the clouds of infield dust on ATLFulton County Stadium field from Deion’s punt returns.

Also my son’s name is Cauã, which translates in PortugueseTupi to “Falcon”. 

In short, yes, AB has improved the franchise, but progessed it to the promised land, no.

BTW...Never got into Conway, but he’s really doing it with that pompadour in the salmon track suit. lol 

Edited by Speezy
13 hours ago, egoprime II said:

Dimitroff concluded that the problem wasn't the defense, it was that the offense was not explosive enough.    In the very next draft, TD made the Julio trade.   Mike Mularkey was let go, and Dirk Koetter came in.

I find it very -amusing-, that the falcons just won a game playing the same 'Smittyball', that the Falcons have been running way from for so long.   Whoever the next coach is, if he's smart, he will stick with it.  Like Morris should.

I think Blank more than TD pushed for JJ, based on TD seeking advice from Belichick. BB said no.

Is Blank better than Rankin Smith? That bar is so low an elephant can hurdle it.

I like that AB invests money into the team, but I don't like his passive aggressive approach to "football" decisions.

Either go full Jerry Jones or get football people to make tough football decisions.

Nonetheless, we are better under AB.

Everyone answers this question like I asked is the franchise better than when the Smith's owned the team. That is not the question. The question is IS THE FRANCHISE IMPROVING UNDER BLANK? Meaning are we making progress or are we just mediocre. Anyone that has been here since the early 70's knows we are better than when the Smith family ran the team but is this franchise making the right decisions to win the hardware? Or are we just repeating the same process and getting the same 7 to 8 win a year results. The numbers dont lie. The depth chart dont lie.  Blank is in year 20 and still going in circles. Improved from Smith family? Yes but are we a franchise a player would want to go to with hopes of winning a championship? No. Look at Blank's record .500.  Blank has built average and that's all he can do. Numbers dont lie. Blanks 18 year record as owner is 160 and 147 that is 52%. If Blank was a student he would be failing. How many franchises would keep a 8-8 coach employed after 18 years? Quit using the Smith family as a bail out. 52% is what you get with Blank. That wont win you a Super Bowl or a championship, if you only win 52% of the time. Rankin Smith was 130 and 221 Smith was 37% a winner. So Blank has improved this franchise by 15%.  Better but not championship owner material. Numbers dont lie. 

19 hours ago, 1989Fan said:

Every team has ebbs and flows man. Aside from NE find me a team that has been dominant for 2 decades.

Steelers for 5 decades.  

They have been to the playoffs multiple times in every decade since the 70s and been to SBs 70s (4 times) 1990s (1 time) 2000's (2 times) 2010(1 time) I mean I wish we were this consistent.

8 hours ago, THEHEADCOACH said:

Blank has spared no expense to make this team better. Had some duds working under him, but it's not because he's a bad owner and not trying to win.

Blank is not a bad owner, but he lacks football experience to relate to many situations. He has to rely on people like DQ, TD , Mckay and the many over-the-hill past coaches and GMs. Not Working! He will only get better with experience or Much faster if he can find a Truely current Qualified GM he feels he can trust working directly to him.

Ok - so here are a few statistics for the Falcons.    Owned by the Smiths for 34 years and by Blank for 20.3 years

Smith

Record:  201-306-5   39.25% wins

Division Rank:  1st - 3 times, last 11 times - Average finish = 3rd place

Playoffs:  6  of 34 years (average once every 6 years) - 1st seed 1 time, NFCC game 1 time, Super Bowl 1 time, Playoff record - 4-6   

Points per year average:   For 278.7, Against 337.5    Difference -59

Blank

Record: 165-160-1    50.6% wins

Division Rank: 1st - 4 times, last 3 times - Average finish = 2nd place

Playoffs:  8 of 20 years (average once every 2.5 years) - 1st seed 2 times, NFCC game 3 times, Super Bowl 1 time, Playoff record - 6-8

Points per year average: For 364.4, Against 367.7  Difference -3

19 hours ago, runshoot said:

Guaranteed the Op is under the age of ~28. The Rankin Smith era Falcons make the Browns look like the Patriots dynasty.

OP Post is bad, and he should feel bad.

he's obviously too young to know that at one time, the Browns were the team to beat....

man as bad as i hate the ridiculous threads in the offseason a losing streak is WAY WAY worse

49 minutes ago, Tandy said:

Ok - so here are a few statistics for the Falcons.    Owned by the Smiths for 34 years and by Blank for 20.3 years

Smith

Playoffs:  6  of 34 years (average once every 6 years) - 1st seed 1 time, NFCC game 1 time, Super Bowl 1 time, Playoff record - 4-6   

Blank

Playoffs:  8 of 20 years (average once every 2.5 years) - 1st seed 2 times, NFCC game 3 times, Super Bowl 1 time, Playoff record - 6-8

50% winning percentage as a owner is mediocre. Would you keep a coach that is 8-8 every year? Would that make you excited to know you are middle of the road? 

Has AB been able to pitch this franchise as a top shelf choice for "elite" staff. Coaches, GM'S, etc?

He has invested and shown he will spend. What makes a Parcell type resume individual pass up Atlanta?

No doubt some of his hires have had a measure of success, but what makes Atlanta a distant consideration to first choice staff?

Is it just bad timing? 

1 hour ago, Tandy said:

Smith

Blank

Not even close, Mr. Blank hands down.

4 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Everyone answers this question like I asked is the franchise better than when the Smith's owned the team. That is not the question. The question is IS THE FRANCHISE IMPROVING UNDER BLANK? Meaning are we making progress or are we just mediocre. Anyone that has been here since the early 70's knows we are better than when the Smith family ran the team but is this franchise making the right decisions to win the hardware? Or are we just repeating the same process and getting the same 7 to 8 win a year results. The numbers dont lie. The depth chart dont lie.  Blank is in year 20 and still going in circles. Improved from Smith family? Yes but are we a franchise a player would want to go to with hopes of winning a championship? No. Look at Blank's record .500.  Blank has built average and that's all he can do. Numbers dont lie. Blanks 18 year record as owner is 160 and 147 that is 52%. If Blank was a student he would be failing. How many franchises would keep a 8-8 coach employed after 18 years? Quit using the Smith family as a bail out. 52% is what you get with Blank. That wont win you a Super Bowl or a championship, if you only win 52% of the time. Rankin Smith was 130 and 221 Smith was 37% a winner. So Blank has improved this franchise by 15%.  Better but not championship owner material. Numbers dont lie. 

Okay, I get you.  Here is the problem with what you are asking..... no sports team, Yankees, Lakers Patriots, Steelers.....  no team is steadily improving -all the time-.   For example, the Falcons won 12 games in 1980.   14 in 1998.  13 games twice under Smitty.    Those records become something to strive for, again, as opposed to being the expectations.   The expectations are to make the playoffs.

In that respect then no, Blank has not improved the Falcons, at least lately.   The highmark of Blank's tenure as owner was Smitty's five year run.  The Super Bowl was a temporary upward spike sitting in an ocean of losing seasons.   I don't know that  the notoriety and derision that came with losing that Super Bowl was worth it.

The subject of improvement has never come up before, probably because, well.....what could anyone anywhere do about it?   Owners don't get fired....

3 minutes ago, egoprime II said:

Okay, I get you.  Here is the problem with what you are asking..... no sports team, Yankees, Lakers Patriots, Steelers.....  no team is steadily improving -all the time-.   For example, the Falcons won 12 games in 1980.   14 in 1998.  13 games twice under Smitty.    Those records become something to strive for, again, as opposed to being the expectations.   The expectations are to make the playoffs.

In that respect then no, Blank has not improved the Falcons, at least lately.   The highmark of Blank's tenure as owner was Smitty's five year run.  The Super Bowl was a temporary upward spike sitting in an ocean of losing seasons.   I don't know that  the notoriety and derision that came with losing that Super Bowl was worth it.

The subject of improvement has never come up before, probably because, well.....what could anyone anywhere do about it?   Owners don't get fired....

Yes, finally someone gets what I was asking.  With Blank as owner and his numbers at a 52% win clip, what is he really going to do to convince fans to continue to drop $2k a year on his product? Especially if the same front office people are in the mix picking coaches and GMs. I dont question his desire to win but I question his repetitive madness of repeating the same process expecting a different result. We have had spurts but not consistency at a high level at an extended period of time that means it is not being build right and this "process" we are always hearing about is flawed and needs to be re-evaluated. 

9 hours ago, Mid-Nite-Toker said:

I think Blank more than TD pushed for JJ, based on TD seeking advice from Belichick. BB said no.

Is Blank better than Rankin Smith? That bar is so low an elephant can hurdle it.

I like that AB invests money into the team, but I don't like his passive aggressive approach to "football" decisions.

Either go full Jerry Jones or get football people to make tough football decisions.

Nonetheless, we are better under AB.

In my mind it's an open question just how much Blank does to manage his subordinates.   Anytime TD did something unusual.... and yeah the JJ trade qualifies....you have to wonder if its Blank pulling the strings.

Other examples:  the 2019 draft where we sign two expensive OG's then spend our first three picks on O line.   You had to think AB looked at how his star QB was getting beat to crap, and told TD and DQ to fix it.... like, now.

Then there was the 2019 bye, where AB told Quinn to make use of the smart people on his staff to fix the team.   Falcons then went 6-2.

There may be more examples out there.....

Ego, 

But if Blank is having to tell his GM and his coaches on how to correct problems he needs to look at who he is leaning on when hiring these GM and coaches and question THEIR ability. A owner shouldnt have to tell a Head Football Coach to use his staff. A owner shouldnt have to watch his multimillion dollar QB get his head kicked in and then have to address this with the GM. A owner that is hiring the right people should be able to sit back sign checks and collect trophies. Somehow I feel the NEXT ROUND of GM and coaches will be more Jr. Level people. No one SENIOR level will come and not report directly to the OWNER. The Falcons internal structure is flawed. 

2 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

50% winning percentage as a owner is mediocre. Would you keep a coach that is 8-8 every year? Would that make you excited to know you are middle of the road? 

You’re being silly.

As someone mentioned earlier, seasons ebb and flow. See saints going through their long stretch of 7-9 seasons with Payton/Loomis. And no one mistakes the Benson family as great owners.

Arthur Blank is a great owner. 2nd best behind Ted Turner in Atlanta sports history.