Is Falcons Franchise Really Improving Under Blank?

Look at the records.  Looks like we are going backwards as a franchise. Yea we arent as bad as the Cleveland Brown, Bengals, Jets of the world but we are starting to make a habit of being that next tier bad. We looked like the ship was going good with Smitty, then what happened? Whatever we were doing in 2008 to 2012 we need to get back to doing. Look how bad we were when McKay was GM 2000 to 2007. I think Mike Smith brought a run first attitude and that worked great. And then when we lost to Gren Bay in 2012 Blank flipped and made Smitty start throwing 30 times a game. Maybe we should bring Smitty back and let him run it the way he wants to run it, That's a pretty darn good record. The numbers dont lie. 

image.png.78b46fdcd69157081dbb6a56d263e458.png

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Now compare them to the Smiths era. I will wait...

Yeah I support Blank. Hes a fan. Wants to win

Posted Images

Yea I said we aint Browns, Jets, Bengals bad, the Smith era was Browns, Jets, Bengals bad. However, with that being said under Blank we have gone from being a 4 win a year team under the Smiths to about a 7-8 win a year team under Blank. Blank has made the Falcons average. Not great. As a owner you should want to produce a superior product a Mercedes Benz. Right now we are Toyota Camry. Before with Smith family we were YUGO. But the question is are we improving? I mean Blank has owned this thing 20 years and which way is the arrow pointing? Do you see anything showing winning consistency or sense of urgency to win? Look at the records. Outside of a 4 year run I see mediocracy and a owner who is happy with mediocracy. 

Edited by Refried Beans
14 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

Every team has ebbs and flows man. Aside from NE find me a team that has been dominant for 2 decades.

Ravens, Steelers, Green Bay, Colts, Eagles,  pull their records over 2 decades. Year in and year out these franchises pick at the back of the pack on draft day, you know why the same teams always pick at the front (Jets, Jags, Bengals, Browns) and then same teams always pick at the back (Steelers, Green Bay, Ravens, Eagles,) ?? Ownership and how they run their franchises.  They dont keep SAME people in front office for 20 years if they cant get it done. These upper tier franchises are about winning at all cost, leaving emotion out of it and doing whatever it takes to win. Look at Green Bay, they were basically telling Aaron Rodgers a Hall of Fame QB to pack his shiot after a losing year and  went out and drafted a young QB 2 years ago. You think Atlanta would do this to Ryan? Heck no and Ryan hasnt even won a Super Bowl. Ownership wins Super Bowls. 

Edited by Refried Beans
23 hours ago, Refried Beans said:

Look at the records.  Looks like we are going backwards as a franchise. Yea we arent as bad as the Cleveland Brown, Bengals, Jets of the world but we are starting to make a habit of being that next tier bad. We looked like the ship was going good with Smitty, then what happened? Whatever we were doing in 2008 to 2012 we need to get back to doing. Look how bad we were when McKay was GM 2000 to 2007. I think Mike Smith brought a run first attitude and that worked great. And then when we lost to Gren Bay in 2012 Blank flipped and made Smitty start throwing 30 times a game. Maybe we should bring Smitty back and let him run it the way he wants to run it, That's a pretty darn good record. The numbers dont lie. 

image.png.78b46fdcd69157081dbb6a56d263e458.png

Actually it was the Green Bay playoff loss in 2010 that started this teams' decline.   Turnovers and an exposed bad defense lost us that game.    Dimitroff concluded that the problem wasn't the defense, it was that the offense was not explosive enough.    In the very next draft, TD made the Julio trade.   Mike Mularkey was let go, and Dirk Koetter came in.

The Falcons had enough talent, and good coaches who knew how to win games, that the Falcons won a lot of games in '11 and '12.   But.... when a bunch of aging vets like Grimes and McClure and Abraham and Clabo left, with no viable replacements?   That is when Smitty started losing.

I find it very -amusing-, that the Falcons just won a game playing the same 'Smittyball', that the Falcons have been running away from for so long.   Whoever the next coach is, if he's smart, he will stick with it.  Like Morris should.

Edited by egoprime II
1 minute ago, Vandy said:

Al Davis was asked about Rankin Smith, once.  Davis said Rankin showed up for meetings but rarely, if ever, contributed anything.  Kind of a go- along, get-along type.

My impression of Smith was this:  the team was an investment and a status symbol, all rolled into one.   Building a winner wasn't so much of a goal, as long as the team was 'competitive'.   I mean.... Rankin's fortune was made selling insurance.

Arthur Blanks' fortune was made in revolutionizing the home improvement industry.   Blank has always been more of a 'people person'.    I get the impression Blank is much more PR oriented.   Blank has built a top-notch infrastructure for the Falcons players and the fans.

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Actually it was the Green Bay playoff loss in 2010 that started this teams' decline.   Turnovers and an exposed bad defense lost us that game.    Dimitroff concluded that the problem wasn't the defense, it was that the offense was not explosive enough.    In the very next draft, TD made the Julio trade.   Mike Mularkey was let go, and Dirk Koetter came in.

The Falcons had enough talent, and good coaches who knew how to win games, that the Falcons won a lot of games in '11 and '12.   But.... when a bunch of aging vets like Grimes and McClure and Abraham and Clabo left, with no viable replacements?   That is when Smitty started losing.

I find it very -amusing-, that the falcons just won a game playing the same 'Smittyball', that the Falcons have been running way from for so long.   Whoever the next coach is, if he's smart, he will stick with it.  Like Morris should.

Blank is who made the order to get explosive on offense. TD was doing what boss man said.

Strictly in my opinion, Blank has made quite a few blunders.  He fired Dan Reeves a year too early.  He hired Mora and Petrino (and who knows if he would have had the sense to fire either of them at the time they both wrote their own ticket out of town).  I would have fired Quinn (and Dimitroff) after the 1-7 start.  You can say that other people were involved in these decisions, but, ultimately, they were his decisions.

There are other things, too. For instance, he basically eliminates any ability for his front office to negotiate contracts when he tells people publicly so-and-so will be a Falcon for life.  If there's no threat you'll walk away from the table, there is no negotiation.  How can a successful businessman do that?  

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Al Davis was asked about Rankin Smith, once.  Davis said Rankin showed up for meetings but rarely, if ever, contributed anything.  Kind of a go- along, get-along type.

My impression of Smith was this:  the team was an investment and a status symbol, all rolled into one.   Building a winner wasn't so much of a goal, as long as the team was 'competitive'.   I mean.... Rankin's fortune was made selling insurance.

Arthur Blanks' fortune was made in revolutionizing the home improvement industry.   Blank has always been more of a 'people person'.    I get the impression Blank is much more PR oriented.   Blank has built a top-notch infrastructure for the Falcons players and the fans.

From time to time I wonder how things would have turned out if the group led by Ivan Allen had gotten their AFL expansion team before Pete Rozelle found Rankin Smith. . .

34 minutes ago, ADAMSVILLE GYM said:

Some of y'all are just too **** young to know haw terrible times have been with this team. These are the good days. Y'all make it obvious you're newbies.

Not gonna lie, I didn't even know who this was before family guy :lol:...

But back on topic, My Dad used to tell me about the Falcons back in the day and how the regime under Blank has been the best by far in his opinion. 

8 minutes ago, kschreck said:

Go back and look at the history before blank and you'll realize this was another random thought that didn't need a thread.  

Hint: It's not even close.

I wish our younger fans could go back and experience what we went through back then.   YouTube doesn’t do it justice.   You had to live it.

From 1984 to 1990 the Falcons had one winning month.   Not season, month (September ‘86).   To put it another way, from the time I was in 5th grade until I was a high school senior, there was one single four week stretch when they won more than they lost.  

At least Blank is trying to do something.   Back then we’d start 1-7 every year and all Smith would do is demand a new stadium

Edited by Ghosts of Glanville
1 minute ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

I wish our younger fans could go back and experience what we went through back then.   YouTube doesn’t do it justice.   You had to live it.

From 1984 to 1990 the Falcons has one winning month.   Not season, month (September ‘86).   At least Blank is trying to do something.   Back then we’d start 1-7 every year and all Smith would do is demand a new stadium

Agree completely.  Bashing someone that people know has good intentions and is learning as he goes, because he's made mistakes is so typical for today.  Has to be a miserable existence to always look for the negative in a situation, in many ways life is exactly what we make it.

1 hour ago, runshoot said:

Guaranteed the Op is under the age of ~28. The Rankin Smith era Falcons make the Browns look like the Patriots dynasty.

OP Post is bad, and he should feel bad.

I was in Fulton County Stadium on OJ Simpsons last game as a 49er vs Falcons, way older than 28