Could we actually see Julio Jones in Las Vegas?

CBS on trades that should be made:   1. Raiders trade for Falcons WR Julio Jones

Raiders get: WR Julio Jones
Falcons get: 2021 first-round draft pick, 2022 fourth-round pick

headshot-image

The Raiders have been shopping for No. 1 WR types since Mike Mayock arrived, from Antonio Brown to present-day prospects like Henry Ruggs. Jones is a clear step above them all, in that he's everything Mayock and Jon Gruden wanted in AB -- a bona fide, nearly un-coverable play-maker -- minus the off-field antics. What Derek Carr has right now is working, but now that Las Vegas is very much alive in the AFC West race, the time is now to pounce. Manipulating the cap would be well worth his killer size and instincts.

And why on Earth would the Falcons do this, you ask? Because while Rich McKay may have claimed Atlanta isn't about to auction its assets, it's fairly obvious Jones, at 31 with an injury history, is not going to be elite -- or even present -- when the Falcons are ready to compete again. You don't think they'd like to offload the $61.5 million he's owed through 2023, especially with Calvin Ridley emerging so strongly? Throw in the fact he'd be going to the AFC and netting them two premium picks, and it's a logical deal.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

fart noise

Another article where the author decided to pretend the salary cap and all its rules doesn't exist. LAZY.

Nope not happening this year. Neither is a Ryan trade

Initial thoughts.......This is a trade right out of left field........but I could actually see this happen because it's Vegas!  With all the teams looking for WR help.....I could see Vegas winning a bidding war with San Francisco or Tennessee  if we put him on the block.

Edited by lostnmexico
2 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Always said it if we can off load the cap it’s a good thing.Always thought either Ryan or Julio wouldn’t be Falcons next year.

The draft compensation isn’t bad if I could squeeze another mid rounder next year I’d pull the trigger.

It’s less than what the Bills gave up for stefon diggs. Not even McKay would take that deal

3 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

Always said it if we can off load the cap it’s a good thing.Always thought either Ryan or Julio wouldn’t be Falcons next year.

The draft compensation isn’t bad if I could squeeze another mid rounder next year I’d pull the trigger.

They would definitely have to do a 1st and 3rd this year for me to start listening 

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

Nope not happening this year. Neither is a Ryan trade

Due to the cap restraints and the fact we won't have a Top 5 pick, i'm not sure selling makes sense this year.  If we were able to get one of the top 2 QBs we would be looking at throwing them into war with only 1 weapon.

33 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

So they expect to get a top notch WR for pennies? Makes a lot of sense.

A mid-round 1st and a 4th for a 31 year old WR, who has been injured, isn’t “pennies”. I dare say that we’d be making out better on that end of the deal. We could possibly squeeze a 3rd out of them. 

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

A mid-round 1st and a 4th for a 31 year old WR, who has been injured, isn’t “pennies”. I dare say that we’d be making out better on that end of the deal. We could possibly squeeze a 3rd out of them. 

He said they didn't want to pay. Meaning contract. Julio is one of the highest paid WR's in the NFL.

7 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Cooper didn’t show up until he went to the Cowboys. It’s like night and day. 

In 2016 with the Raiders Cooper had 83 catches for 1153 yards and 6 touchdowns. He was also over 1000 yards receiving as a rookie in 2015. In 3 1/2 years (52 games) with the Raiders Cooper caught 225 passes for 3183 yards and 19 touchdowns. Yes he's done better with the Cowboys but that's because he's had a better QB throwing him the ball in Dallas, that is until Dak's freak injury. But Cooper was really good with the Raiders.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He said they didn't want to pay. Meaning contract. Julio is one of the highest paid WR's in the NFL.

He’s also a “name” WR. If there’s something I’ve learned about football is that new city franchises will make acquisitions that could generate “buzz”. A trade for Julio would fall under the category.

1 minute ago, AUTiger7222 said:

In 2016 with the Raiders Cooper had 83 catches for 1153 yards and 6 touchdowns. He was also over 1000 yards receiving as a rookie in 2015. In 3 1/2 years (52 games) with the Raiders Cooper caught 225 passes for 3183 yards and 19 touchdowns. Yes he's done better with the Cowboys but that's because he's had a better QB throwing him the ball in Dallas, that is until Dak's freak injury. But Cooper was really good with the Raiders.

Cooper wasn’t living up to his expectations. He was pretty average to above average with the Raiders. His injuries withstanding, his 2017 stats are atrocious. Not to mention he has injury issues as well as dropped passes issue.

Dak is a better QB than Carr, I’ll give you that, but it’s not this monumental drop off in talent between the two QBs. 

5 hours ago, kiwifalcon said:

You can’t get rid of dead money like that. If you release or trade a player you will incur dead money no matter what. I don’t think you can circumvent that at all