Seven NFL Teams with 1-5 record or worse - Same As Falcons - through week#6

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man people upset when they lose and upset when they win. 

The 1st overall pick is honestly a bigger fantasy than the falcons turning it around and making the playoffs 

Yea...cause QB vs QB is how football works 

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

none of it matters until you get THE QUARTERBACK.    You get said QB whenever he becomes available or within striking distance.

The theory about "build rest of roster first" - it just doesn't work that way.

For example:   If you are convinced that Trevor Lawrence or Justin Fields or whoever else is a Next Level Star - and you have the draft position and/or position plus trade assets to "get him" you do it.

Agree, you got to do whatever you have to when you have to to get your next franchise QB. If you want to be a top-five team in the NFL, you almost have to have a top-five QB. You then get an OL to protect him if you don't have one. All the rest comes next.

4 hours ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

I’m don’t think it’s smart to get a QB right now anyway. We have a bit of talent but not that type of talent. I think we take the end of Matt Ryan years to build up the rest of the team, a consistent OL, etc. 

Then when we need the funds to secure the majority of those positions that’s when we pounce on a QB candidate in the draft or the year right before. 

I know Trevor and Justin are on everybody’s radar but every year almost there’s a QB or two that piques everyone’s interest. 

Simply put, stack up now and get your QB 2 or 3 years down the road. No big free agent contracts for the next 2 years. Then start to put in free agent work the year before drafting your QB of the future and/or the same year. 

The 2022 class is 🤮 Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler have not been impressive 2023 tho you have the new kid at Clemson plus Bryce Young but still that’s a long time to wait you never know what can happen in that time frame

38 minutes ago, PokerSteve said:

Agree, you got to do whatever you have to when you have to to get your next franchise QB. If you want to be a top-five team in the NFL, you almost have to have a top-five QB. You then get an OL to protect him if you don't have one. All the rest comes next.

B-I-N-G-O!

I know it's college but my Georgia Bulldogs are a perfect example  #2-85 they have arguably the best roster in college football - it's close w/ Bama, Clemson and Ohio State - but probably true.  Regardless,  Dawgs cannot sniff a Natty because they suck at the QB position.

This "build the roster" and then get your QB - well, it would be great if it worked out like that but this year you might have two of the better prospects that have come to the draft for awhile - not every year is a good QB draft year - sometimes it's 2-3 years in between a decent QB coming out - and you don't want DECENT - you want ELITE.

I don't want to trade assets for a QB - but would do it if I was in love w/ a QB that was out of reach from draft position.

1 hour ago, Realsurfin said:

Yeah Matt Ryan needs to beat them all those years with no defense and barely an oline... how dare he... lol

So much bs on these boards putting all the blame square on Matt Ryan.

Just stop, defense or not the man ain't that great. Sorry man he's not a playmaker. Good QB? **** yes. Playmaker? no.

20 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

B-I-N-G-O!

I know it's college but my Georgia Bulldogs are a perfect example  #2-85 they have arguably the best roster in college football - it's close w/ Bama, Clemson and Ohio State - but probably true.  Regardless,  Dawgs cannot sniff a Natty because they suck at the QB position.

This "build the roster" and then get your QB - well, it would be great if it worked out like that but this year you might have two of the better prospects that have come to the draft for awhile - not every year is a good QB draft year - sometimes it's 2-3 years in between a decent QB coming out - and you don't want DECENT - you want ELITE.

I don't want to trade assets for a QB - but would do it if I was in love w/ a QB that was out of reach from draft position.

The Rams had a terrible roster before Goff when they had Fisher at HC, now look at them. They went and got their guy and surrounded him with pieces and almost won a ‘ship. 

5 minutes ago, Jerz #GurleySZN said:

The Rams had a terrible roster before Goff when they had Fisher at HC, now look at them. They went and got their guy and surrounded him with pieces and almost won a ‘ship. 

Goff isn't good enough - don't ever see them winning a SB with him.

Who was the last team to win a SB w/o an elite QB? Ravens and Dilfer in 2000?  Tamp and Brad Johnson a few years later?

Not many...

41 minutes ago, JetJones11 said:

The 2022 class is 🤮 Sam Howell and Spencer Rattler have not been impressive 2023 tho you have the new kid at Clemson plus Bryce Young but still that’s a long time to wait you never know what can happen in that time frame

And there wasn't a Joe Burrow until last year either. That long time works both ways.

3 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Goff isn't good enough - don't ever see them winning a SB with him.

Who was the last team to win a SB w/o an elite QB? Ravens and Dilfer in 2000?  Tamp and Brad Johnson a few years later?

Not many...

The Eagles 3 years ago and the Ravens with Flacco before that

1 minute ago, ATLFalcons11 said:

The Eagles 3 years ago and the Ravens with Flacco before that

Ok - granted but do you want to win ONE SuperBowl or multiple?   Packers and Seahawks have won one - but generally in the mix every year.   Brady the GOAT.   Manning won 2.   You know the list of QBs w/ multiple SBs - none of them were just adequate/good.

To be in the mix year after year after Motherloving year - you need an elite QB - a Top 5 QB.    This is the most consitent way to be a perennial contender.

The problem with building other ways is you cannot keep all the talent that makes an elite defense - every elite defense that wins a SB is pilfered through free agency.   This is another example of why these teams are not "multiple SB winners" ;)

7 hours ago, FalconsAllDayUrDay said:

Thats exactly whats gonna happen. Only difference this year is we won't win the last few because they're tough teams but watch us win 5 out of 6 here in the middle of the season and do exactly that: end up in the 8-14 range. Its what we so best. If thats the case then I'm looking at DE, CB, and S. Any if the three need significant upgrades with DE and CB being my preferred positions in the 1st, should it indeed play out that way.

6 hours ago, Godzilla1985 said:

No they can’t do that. They would rather “finish strong” and end up with a terrible draft pick.  I hate this team

Guys, I've been watching the Falcons draft since 1977,  and believe me..... this team has had more than its share of top five, and top three, and number one, draft picks.   Its been an equal mix of good, bad, and just plain ugly, and in the end?  Those high picks did not make the difference.  

Here is what does:   picking the best players you can, when you can, even if you have more dire needs elsewhere, because sooner or later you will need that player.   Settling for less means you end up with a team of lesser talented players.

It helps if you can ID winners when you have them, can keep your best players, and especially coach up everyone you enter training camp with.   That's the only way to field a consistent winner.

46 minutes ago, g-dawg said:

Ok - granted but do you want to win ONE SuperBowl or multiple?   Packers and Seahawks have won one - but generally in the mix every year.   Brady the GOAT.   Manning won 2.   You know the list of QBs w/ multiple SBs - none of them were just adequate/good.

To be in the mix year after year after Motherloving year - you need an elite QB - a Top 5 QB.    This is the most consitent way to be a perennial contender.

The problem with building other ways is you cannot keep all the talent that makes an elite defense - every elite defense that wins a SB is pilfered through free agency.   This is another example of why these teams are not "multiple SB winners" ;)

I would take one super bowl right now

1 hour ago, egoprime II said:

Guys, I've been watching the Falcons draft since 1977,  and believe me..... this team has had more than its share of top five, and top three, and number one, draft picks.   Its been an equal mix of good, bad, and just plain ugly, and in the end?  Those high picks did not make the difference.  

Here is what does:   picking the best players you can, when you can, even if you have more dire needs elsewhere, because sooner or later you will need that player.   Settling for less means you end up with a team of lesser talented players.

It helps if you can ID winners when you have them, can keep your best players, and especially coach up everyone you enter training camp with.   That's the only way to field a consistent winner.

The argument though isn't just for a higher pick for DE, CB, etc. It would be for a generational talent in Lawrence or Lance (debatable). Either would likely be our star QB for the next 15 years if we didn't run them out of town. 

That being said, i don't think Ryan is done at all and can still play at a high level for the next 2-4 years. But you can't pass on either of those guys IMO and if you're close to getting one you have to seriously consider moving up to get them. 

If getting a QB isn't the plan then yeah to me there's not a huge difference between say 5-15 at least to me at this point but there's plenty of time to change that opinion obviously. 

2 hours ago, g-dawg said:

I never disagreed with getting a top 5 QB. Honestly I was just answering your question about the last SB winners with non-elite QBs.

As far as the team, building a team and then getting a top 5 QB still gets you the elite QB. KC is about to be dominant for years and that's because they really built a solid team before grabbing Mahomes.

They've added onto it since then of course but it wasn't a bottom feeder by any means.

1 hour ago, youngbloodz said:

You make a great point but that **** playoff Flacco is elite lol. But seriously I was **** impressed he beat Brady and Manning in the same playoffs 

He played very well for sure. We all remember the Broncos should have won in the divisional. Just a dumb play by the defender but credit to Flacco for scoring 38 points.

As for Brady, the Ravens defense held him to 13 points. Flacco didn't make mistakes so not taking anything away from him but that defense was more elite than Flacco was.

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Out of the QBs you listed or that play for the teams you listed, only one of them was picked in the top 10. If you look at the “elite” QBs right now (Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, and I’ll be nice and throw in Lamar just cuz he won MVP last year), none of them were picked sooner than 10th. Take out Mahomes and none of them even went top 20. 

41 minutes ago, Atlantafan21 said:

Out of the QBs you listed or that play for the teams you listed, only one of them was picked in the top 10. If you look at the “elite” QBs right now (Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers, and I’ll be nice and throw in Lamar just cuz he won MVP last year), none of them were picked sooner than 10th. Take out Mahomes and none of them even went top 20. 

ok - close your eyes and hold your breath and hope you luck into Russell Wilson in the 3rd round.   #goodplan