Week 6 Observations: Path to Victory

Here are a few of my thoughts after watching the condensed game and reviewing the box score and THIS post (source for point 1 below). 

• Morris challenges the team leaders: In short he challenged them to "give him more" and set the example.
    • Those leaders led. Of the guys he directly challenged, Deion Jones led off the game with an interception and Neal was a tackling machine. On the other side of the ball, Matt and Julio did Matt and Julio things. Refreshing all around!
  • The Falcons coaching staff showed more adaptability in this game. It is obvious that the Falcons came in wanting to control the ball and the clock. When they struggled in the running game (less then 3 ypc), DK called a controlled pass game that targeted RBs and TEs in the short areas of the field on 12 of the team's 37 pass attempts. All of these but one was completed for 113 yards and 1 TD. It is important to note, the vast majority of these were targeted throws and not "check-downs." It appears as if DK anticipated tough sledding for the running game and came prepared to control the ball and TOP in other ways. At the same time, he continued to hand the ball off enough to keep play-action valid. 
  • The passing game weapons made their return to "weapon" status. Ryan+Julio+Ridley did a lion's share of the damage...and that is just the way it should be the way this team is designed. It is important to  note, a few teams have victimized the Vikings secondary. The next game should be a more honest test. That said, thumping the thumpable is a good step in the right direction. 
  • The defense got more consistent pressure than the stats will show. While they had only 1 sack, they also had 8 QB hits and added 6 tackles for loss to add to the disruption. 
  • With the pressure, the pass coverage responded with 7 passes defended and 3 INTs. 
  • While I didn't study it in detail, missed tackles were not as obvious as last week. Hopefully that is improving. 

AJ Terrell gets my "warrior" award for the game. Yes, he was on the losing end of the Cousins/Jefferson connection a few times, but he keep battling. I know some will see him getting beat. As I watched this game, I began to see what he will be. While I know some will hate on him for being a TD pick, I think he is the real deal. He ended up with the team lead in tackles (yes, some far downfield) and had one pass breakup and 1 amusing interception. 

My star of the game was Matt Ryan. His arm looked like it has all year, but his head was back in the game and he made the offense go.

My offensive play of the game was Julio's stiff arm. Just swatting flies out there.

My defensive play of the game was Oluokun's Fowler's penetration on 4th and goal. (I hope that was him, it looked like him. I was watching condensed so I didn't get the call.) Pretty sweet for a LB DE to almost beat the ball to the RB on a quick snap situation. 

My turning point was the goal line stand. You never know, if that plays out differently (would have been a score off a turnover), it could have quickly devolved into "same 'ole Falcons." 

My keep it real take: More Hill, less Gurley. Please? Yea, I said it.  Light me up 🔥

2 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My defensive play of the game was Oluokun's penetration on 4th and goal. (I hope that was him, it looked like him. I was watching condensed so I didn't get the call.) Pretty sweet for a LB to almost beat the ball to the RB on a quick snap situation. 

Fowler but Foye did have an outstanding game.

16 minutes ago, falcndave said:

Here are a few of my thoughts after watching the condensed game and reviewing the box score and THIS post (source for point 1 below). 

• Morris challenges the team leaders: In short he challenged them to "give him more" and set the example.
    • Those leaders led. Of the guys he directly challenged, Deion Jones led off the game with an interception and Neal was a tackling machine. On the other side of the ball, Matt and Julio did Matt and Julio things. Refreshing all around!
  • The Falcons coaching staff showed more adaptability in this game. It is obvious that the Falcons came in wanting to control the ball and the clock. When they struggled in the running game (less then 3 ypc), DK called a controlled pass game that targeted RBs and TEs in the short areas of the field on 12 of the team's 37 pass attempts. All of these but one was completed for 113 yards and 1 TD. It is important to note, the vast majority of these were targeted throws and not "check-downs." It appears as if DK anticipated tough sledding for the running game and came prepared to control the ball and TOP in other ways. At the same time, he continued to hand the ball off enough to keep play-action valid. 
  • The passing game weapons made their return to "weapon" status. Ryan+Julio+Ridley did a lion's share of the damage...and that is just the way it should be the way this team is designed. It is important to  note, a few teams have victimized the Vikings secondary. The next game should be a more honest test. That said, thumping the thumpable is a good step in the right direction. 
  • The defense got more consistent pressure than the stats will show. While they had only 1 sack, they also had 8 QB hits and added 6 tackles for loss to add to the disruption. 
  • With the pressure, the pass coverage responded with 7 passes defended and 3 INTs. 
  • While I didn't study it in detail, missed tackles were not as obvious as last week. Hopefully that is improving. 

AJ Terrell gets my "warrior" award for the game. Yes, he was on the losing end of the Cousins/Jefferson connection a few times, but he keep battling. I know some will see him getting beat. As I watched this game, I began to see what he will be. While I know some will hate on him for being a TD pick, I think he is the real deal. He ended up with the team lead in tackles (yes, some far downfield) and had one pass breakup and 1 amusing interception. 

My star of the game was Matt Ryan. His arm looked like it has all year, but his head was back in the game and he made the offense go.

My offensive play of the game was Julio's stiff arm. Just swatting flies out there.

My defensive play of the game was Oluokun's penetration on 4th and goal. (I hope that was him, it looked like him. I was watching condensed so I didn't get the call.) Pretty sweet for a LB to almost beat the ball to the RB on a quick snap situation. 

My turning point was the goal line stand. You never know, if that plays out differently (would have been a score off a turnover), it could have quickly devolved into "same 'ole Falcons." 

My keep it real take: More Hill, less Gurley. Please? Yea, I said it.  Light me up 🔥

Great points... I would also give a shout out to the OL they play a really good game.. 

23 minutes ago, falcndave said:

My defensive play of the game was Oluokun's Fowler's penetration on 4th and goal. (I hope that was him, it looked like him. I was watching condensed so I didn't get the call.) Pretty sweet for a LB DE to almost beat the ball to the RB on a quick snap situation. 

I was with you until you said more of Hill less of Gurley. Pro bowler versus a player that had a good training camp. No thanks!!

4 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

I was with you until you said more of Hill less of Gurley. Pro bowler versus a player that had a good training camp. No thanks!!

For me, its the eye ball test over resume.  That said, Gurley has done what was hoped for. I just think Hill has more burst, agility and quickness. Gurley has better vision and does well in tight spaces. If were coach, I'd use Hill almost exclusively between the 20's and have Gurley out there in 3rd and 4+ and for a majority of red zone snaps. 

5 minutes ago, falcndave said:

For me, its the eye ball test over resume.  That said, Gurley has done what was hoped for. I just think Hill has more burst, agility and quickness. Gurley has better vision and does well in tight spaces. If were coach, I'd use Hill almost exclusively between the 20's and have Gurley out there in 3rd and 4+ and for a majority of red zone snaps. 

No doubt the team needs to draft a #1 back in the spring.

1 hour ago, falcndave said:

Hill does have some quickness but Gurley still has speed. I haven’t seen him get caught while trying to break it to the edge. He has a knack finding the end zone. Also the attention he brings makes it a little easier for the receivers. I absolutely hate it when Hill comes into the game other than giving Gurley a breather.

4 hours ago, falcndave said:

No way on your keep it real take, in fact there were times I wish he TG21 was in when he was on the sidelines.

Edited by me4falcons