2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

5 minutes ago, stizz said:

Freeman went through the same stuff Smith did and produced. So did d'Arnaud. We can't pick and choose who the weird offseason applied to and who it didn't.

No....no they didn't.

Freeman did have covid but he was in there from game one.

Travis missed one series but was back behind the plate with a week of the season starting.

Both started slow.

Smith missed a couple extra weeks and by the very nature of his position did not get near the reps that those guys got to have so his rust was more pronounced then theirs.

3 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

No....no they didn't.

Freeman did have covid but he was in there from game one.

Travis missed one series but was back behind the plate with a week of the season starting.

Both started slow.

Smith missed a couple extra weeks and by the very nature of his position did not get near the reps that those guys got to have so his rust was more pronounced then theirs.

...and it was highlighted with walks to Muncy twice. That is the only guy he had to get and in both instances put him on base for nothing. There is no excuse for walks at his price tag.

1 hour ago, K26dp said:

If the active roster were 28 again, I'd be fine with this. Since it probably won't be, I don't see a spot. For him or Culberson for that matter.

FWIW, I'm expecting another late start to the season and another year without the minors. If there's going to be a vaccine, it's not coming from the US. We're too far behind on our research. So, owners will cut costs again.

25 minutes ago, stizz said:

Freeman went through the same stuff Smith did and produced. So did d'Arnaud. We can't pick and choose who the weird offseason applied to and who it didn't.

Everyday players vs relievers

to take it a step further positional players vs relievers 

57 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is a shame all of his other good work in the playoffs is forgotten because of  basically one pitch.

He is probably the braves closer

Yeah I had to go back and look at his work before then. Just think LAD was a bad match-up for him, they've seen him so much.

I assumed he was to be the closer this year but COVID messed it up. Those 7 HRs in 16 IP is alarming though.

Just now, Malachore said:

Yeah I had to go back and look at his work before then. Just think LAD was a bad match-up for him, they've seen him so much.

I assumed he was to be the closer this year but COVID messed it up. Those 7 HRs in 16 IP is alarming though.

Indeed on all accounts.

The positive thing about those though we're... they were all solo shots.

So he was not walking guys or putting alot of traffic on the base paths and then giving up 3 run bombs....he just happened to to it at the worst time.

17 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He'll be the closer next year. Even if we do bring Melancon back it would be as a setup man. We paid Smith like a closer.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

I thought that too but even before the Covid stuff interrupted the season Snitker had declared Melancon the closer.

I dont think that would carry over. I feel like if Melancon returns he'll be told its as a setup and secondary closer.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

Yes he was. He was great in game 1 of the NLCS. His first 5 appearances of the playoffs he pitched 5 1/3 innings and record 7 strikeouts and didn't give up anything. No hits or walks.

I'm happy with Smith overall. The latter half of the NLCS sucked, but I'm not ready to give up on him yet. 

If we keep Ozuna and the DH stays, I think this is where we stand right now without adding anyone else:

C- Travis d'Arnaud
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Ozzie Albies
SS- Dansby Swanson
3B- Austin Riley
RF- Ronald Acuna
CF- Christian Pache
LF- Adam Duvall
DH- Marcell Ozuna 

Bench:
Johan Camargo
William Contreras
Ender Inciarte

SP:
1- Mike Soroka
2- Max Fried
3- Ian Anderson
4- Kyle Wright
5- Bryse Wilson 

RP: 
LHP Will Smith
RHP Chris Martin
RHP Darren O'Day
RHP Luke Jackson
LHP AJ Minter
LHP Grant Dayton
LHP Tyler Matzek
RHP Jacob Webb

Melancon and Greene would help our pen, but I wouldn't mide another guy. 

28 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

If we keep Ozuna and the DH stays, I think this is where we stand right now without adding anyone else:

C- Travis d'Arnaud
1B- Freddie Freeman
2B- Ozzie Albies
SS- Dansby Swanson
3B- Austin Riley
RF- Ronald Acuna
CF- Christian Pache
LF- Adam Duvall
DH- Marcell Ozuna 

Bench:
Johan Camargo
William Contreras
Ender Inciarte

SP:
1- Mike Soroka
2- Max Fried
3- Ian Anderson
4- Kyle Wright
5- Bryse Wilson 

RP: 
LHP Will Smith
RHP Chris Martin
RHP Darren O'Day
RHP Luke Jackson
LHP AJ Minter
LHP Grant Dayton
LHP Tyler Matzek
RHP Jacob Webb

Melancon and Greene would help our pen, but I wouldn't mide another guy. 

I'm hoping Inciarte and Luke Jackson arent on that list when next season starts. And I wouldn't mind seeing Shane Greene added back to it.

Edited by LouDog

12 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I'm hoping Inciarte and Luke Jackson arent on that list when next season starts. And I wouldn't mind seeing Shane Greene added back to it.

For sure on all accounts. Luke and Ender are still under contract though so I included them. I wouldn’t mind replacing Ender with Waters because that’s probably the ideal scenario. We also probably need another IF. I saw someone mention La Stella and I would like that a lot. 

And keeping Melancon and Greene too. Wouldn’t mind adding another pen piece as well. Maybe Newcomb can step into that 

Wayyy too many of you guys are taking Melancon for granted when he has a ton of experience in big games and doesn't allow a circus on the bases in the 9th. I don't know if it's because he doesn't strikeout 1000 guys, but he's very valuable, especially after watching ho many runners Luke and Kimbrel would allow on the bases.

Just now, tl;dr said:

For sure on all accounts. Luke and Ender are still under contract though so I included them. I wouldn’t mind replacing Ender with Waters because that’s probably the ideal scenario. We also probably need another IF. I saw someone mention La Stella and I would like that a lot. 

And keeping Melancon and Greene too. Wouldn’t mind adding another pen piece as well. Maybe Newcomb can step into that 

I'd like to see Newcomb turn into a reliable bullpen arm. Not gonna get my hopes up though lol

15 minutes ago, LouDog said:

I'd like to see Newcomb turn into a reliable bullpen arm. Not gonna get my hopes up though lol

He wasn't bad in that role in 2019. Then for some reason we tried to let him start again in 2020. I think he wanted to start, but it just wasn't going to happen here 

30 minutes ago, stizz said:

Wayyy too many of you guys are taking Melancon for granted when he has a ton of experience in big games and doesn't allow a circus on the bases in the 9th. I don't know if it's because he doesn't strikeout 1000 guys, but he's very valuable, especially after watching ho many runners Luke and Kimbrel would allow on the bases.

I'm sure everyone here wants him to return.

1 hour ago, stizz said:

He was far and away the most impressive reliever against the Dodgers. His ability to pitch to soft contact showed itself nicely against that type of lineup. I'd love to have him back, even if he split time as the closer.

• Unknøwn changed the title to 2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread
  • JD dirtybird21 pinned this topic