2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

2 hours ago, brdu4 said:

By those numbers the Braves could easily afford to spend another 20-30M per year and stay under the luxury tax. So either AA is not spending it or LM won’t let him 

The CEO of the Braves have said they basically get a budget every year. What they do with it is completely up to AA but he has a limit. I'm sure with liberty losing over $300M as a whole last year they cut it. 

4 hours ago, brdu4 said:

By those numbers the Braves could easily afford to spend another 20-30M per year and stay under the luxury tax. So either AA is not spending it or LM won’t let him 

It's not AA.

I saw Jedd Gyorko projected to take a 1 yr at 2.5m; if that's even close I saw burn a prospect or two to move ender's $ and sign him...gives us a couple potentially potent bench hitters with Lamb (L) and Gyorko (R) and we can sub reasonably well for the whole IF and still compete. If we moved the whole Inciarte contract, I say get Puig or someone similar around 1.5m and we suddenly have a pretty scary bench and save around 5m for freddie/dans...bullpen is fine at the backend with minter, martin matzek and any kind of rebound from w. smith...plenty of arms to figure out early-mid relief. 

Anyone think there's still a chance we bring Shane Greene back? Seems like we might be able to get him a lil cheaper at this point. I still remember that extra innings game he came out with runners on and pitched out of it to save the game. One of the most impressive reliever outings I've seen from our pen in years. 

2 hours ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

Anyone think there's still a chance we bring Shane Greene back? Seems like we might be able to get him a lil cheaper at this point. I still remember that extra innings game he came out with runners on and pitched out of it to save the game. One of the most impressive reliever outings I've seen from our pen in years. 

Maybe if he's willing to take the AA special.

At some point I bet Greene takes a low ball offer. If that's all he's getting we should jump on that. I have a feeling we're waiting to see what bench bats become available later in Spring and we have to hold some money back for July trades. 

He made ~$6.5M last year in the arb process and then went out and had a really good 2020. I'm sure he'd at least expect a raise, even on a one-year deal, but I don't think Atlanta wants to even spend that much on a reliever. 

2 hours ago, K26dp said:

He made ~$6.5M last year in the arb process and then went out and had a really good 2020. I'm sure he'd at least expect a raise, even on a one-year deal, but I don't think Atlanta wants to even spend that much on a reliever. 

No, I think they're pretty content with the bullpen. I think they're hoping to spend a little on the bench.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/27/2021 at 11:37 AM, Unknøwn said:

Sinclair has sold the naming rights to the Fox Regional networks to Bally Sports. So all Fox networks will become Bally. So the Braves will play on Bally Sports South or Bally Sports Southeast. Sinclair purchased the rights to the networks during the Disney takeover. They now sell the naming rights for $85M.

From a recent Rosenthal article on the Athletic:

Twice during the offseason, the results of Kirby Yates’ physicals raised red flags.

The first time, the Braves declined to finalize a one-year, $9 million agreement with the free-agent closer, according to major-league sources. The second time, the Blue Jaysreduced a proposed one-year, $8.5 million guarantee for Yates to $5.5 million, believing his upside was high enough to justify the risk.

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

From a recent Rosenthal article on the Athletic:

Twice during the offseason, the results of Kirby Yates’ physicals raised red flags.

The first time, the Braves declined to finalize a one-year, $9 million agreement with the free-agent closer, according to major-league sources. The second time, the Blue Jaysreduced a proposed one-year, $8.5 million guarantee for Yates to $5.5 million, believing his upside was high enough to justify the risk.

Yeah, I posted that in the Braves spring training thread. We were trying to figure out who that money ended up being used on.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It's all good. Who do you think we used that money on? I'm thinking Ozuna got it.

Based off the years Ozuna got, I’m feeling like they already had that earmarked. It could conceivably still be available since we never picked up another reliever. By the sounds of it, they were still in on Rosenthal before he ended up in Oakland, which was after the Ozuna deal was signed. 

8 hours ago, Ransack said:

Luke Jackson is still on the team and he's making almost $2 million dollars. If there's anything that screams failure it's that.

Peoples Luke Jackson fixation is just weird. 

So keeping a reliever that has been on the team for a couple of years means this offseason is as bad as the rebuild years? Bull.

33 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Peoples Luke Jackson fixation is just weird. 

So keeping a reliever that has been on the team for a couple of years means this offseason is as bad as the rebuild years? Bull.

There's some tongue in cheek there but it's still concerning that we couldn't obtain some better options for the pen and that our bench is a complete joke.

Every year it’s something..

bullpen sucks, he fixed

starting pitching sucks, no longer

need to bring in more help for Freddie, hello Ozuna

now the bench sucks.. I highly doubt he’s sitting on his thumb..

just going off history..