2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It will be interesting to see who gets picked up before the regular season.

The braves have had some good luck with the last minute additions.

Joyce and Tomlin were both huge for the braves and I don't think either of them were on the roster at the beginning of spring training.

You'd be correct. Tomlin was released on March 20 by the Brewers, Braves signed him the next day. Joyce was acquired for cash from SF at the end of March. So both were scrap heap guys.

1 hour ago, falconsd56 said:

It will be interesting to see who gets picked up before the regular season.

The braves have had some good luck with the last minute additions.

Joyce and Tomlin were both huge for the braves and I don't think either of them were on the roster at the beginning of spring training.

Which is why I mentioned to keep an eye on the Padres if we're looking for bullpen arms at the end of spring training. They've got a lot of guys with MLB experience competing for spots that are out of options.

A team to keep an eye on for outfield help is the Yankees. They're absolutely loaded with outfielders. They've got at least 8 guys in camp with MLB experience not counting if they bring back Brett Gardner.

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

If we're looking for a 4th OF theres still Jackie Bradley out there. After that the next best is probably Josh Reddick. 

I would take either one, but just on the surface, I think Reddick is the more likely of the two. And he's from Savannah so. 

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

If we're looking for a 4th OF theres still Jackie Bradley out there. After that the next best is probably Josh Reddick. 

Depends on what we're looking for. Bradley is great defensively but very meh offensively. Reddick is much better offensively (really good against RHP) but pretty meh defensively. Both are left-handed bats.

1 hour ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Just hoping that doesn't cause issues didn the road. 

Yes, I despise arbitration, especially for players making so little money. A few hundred thousand dollars means nothing to Liberty, but we have to tell a player he's not worth his salary when we argue this stuff. It's a *terrible* system.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Yes, I despise arbitration, especially for players making so little money. A few hundred thousand dollars means nothing to Liberty, but we have to tell a player he's not worth his salary when we argue this stuff. It's a *terrible* system.

If it can be implemented and ran poorly MLB will do it.

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Lamb definitely fills that role of PH that can change the game in 1 swing. Also gives Riley someone to compete against at 3B. Although I still expect Riley to win that battle. 

Yep, competition is good. Assuming health of everybody, it almost certainly means Pablo Sandoval won't make the team.

41 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He's been hurt for 3 years and was only good for one thing before that.

A bench of Ender, Camargo Lamb and Kipnis. 1 injury and this lineup is in a bad spot.

He did more than just hit homeruns in 2016 and 17. He had over 30 doubles in each of those seasons as well. His wRC+ in those two years were 114 and 111. Just for comparison's sake, Ozzie's wRC+ in 2019 was 116.

9 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

He did more than just hit homeruns in 2016 and 17. He had over 30 doubles in each of those seasons as well. His wRC+ in those two years were 114 and 111. Just for comparison's sake, Ozzie's wRC+ in 2019 was 116.

3 and 4 years ago, how many guys stay hurt or jobless for 3 years and return even close to form?

I don't mind a signing like this but the bench is full of them.

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

3 and 4 years ago, how many guys stay hurt or jobless for 3 years and return even close to form?

I don't mind a signing like this but the bench is full of them.

You're right, chances are he'll never be that guy again, but he's capable of still hitting homeruns and that is why he's here. To be able to come up and pinch-hit and change the game with 1 swing. He's the only guy on the bench capable of doing that.

I agree that the bench as a whole is still worrisome. I would have liked to have seen the Braves bring in Jay Bruce for the outfield bench spot. But I will say, he might find himself back on the open market this spring because the Yankees OF is loaded and they just brought Brett Gardner back. They've got 8 or 9 guys for only 4 or 5 spots.

We're still in a bad situation if anyone gets hurt for an extended period of time but sadly we're not the Dodgers. We can't afford to stock our bench with quality MLB starting talent. We have to take gambles on guys like Jake Lamb.

6 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I expect will add another bench bat later this Spring. Anthopolous has always added guys just cut from other teams in late March. Usually works out pretty well for us.

Correct. I was just thinking, did anyone know who Brooks Conrad was prior to 2010? I know I didn't have a clue who he was. But here he came out of nowhere to be a pinch-hitting find that helped the Braves make the playoffs. If it weren't for Conrad's pinch-hitting the Braves wouldn't have made the playoffs, because they only made it by 1 game that year and Conrad won more than one game late. Jake Lamb could be the 2021 version of Brooks Conrad and I'd be thrilled with that.