Jump to content

2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

42 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I didnt realize this but Kipnis has a good chunk of experience in CF. Hes logged 173 innings there. Mainly in 2018 when he played 14 games in CF. 

I wasn't aware of that. I knew about his extended experience in RF but wasn't aware he had that much CF experience.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's hoping the starters and rotation are good enough early for us to buy some bench help before the all-star break...i think the pen is fine, though if the money weren't an issue id see what it'd take to grab rosenthal. Someone like a mitch moreland makes a lotta bench sense to me...need at least one bat with some legit pop

Link to post
Share on other sites

Kipnis could be a nice low key signing.

I remember seeing him with the Indians a few years ago and he looked really good.

Looking at his number over the last couple years though, I wonder what caused the decline.

Given the timing of it and the contract it is certainly worth looking at.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

If you're looking for some bullpen help for the Braves at the end of spring training the Padres are a team to keep tabs on. They've got several guys competing for a bullpen spot that are out of options. Not all of them will make the team.

I was hoping we'd bring in Rosenthal to replace one of the two SU guys that we lost in the pen and hopefully CEJ can replace the other one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I was hoping we'd bring in Rosenthal to replace one of the two SU guys that we lost in the pen and hopefully CEJ can replace the other one.

Here's the post I made to you yesterday about the pen but you probably missed it since you posted another one at nearly the exact same time.

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The Braves still have some good options in the bullpen. Smith and Minter both have closer experience and Martin is a veteran who's been around and been very good for the Braves. Jacob Webb has done nothing but impress and he'll be given a chance to move into a more prominent role. We picked up Victor Arano from the Phillies and I still can't believe they cut him loose. This is a kid that in parts of 3 MLB seasons turned in a 2.65 ERA, 3.20 FIP, and a 1.138 WHIP in 74 2/3 IP.  In other words, he's been really really good and only just now turned 26 years old. Tyler Matzek is still down there too. Ynoa could be a good bullpen option too. I'd like to bring in another veteran arm like Greene or someone but we've got some good arms down there and we've taken a couple of fliers on guys like Carl Edwards Jr. and Nate Jones in hopes they can return to form. If they do then I'm not worried about the bullpen. I'm worried about the bench. Braves are 1 injury away from complete disaster offensively.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Here's the post I made to you yesterday about the pen but you probably missed it since you posted another one at nearly the exact same time.

 

I did miss that and didnt realize we got Arano either. Maybe we'll be fine there. Wish we got a good 3b to move riley to an inf bench spot and got an ample duvall and or markakis backup

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I did miss that and didnt realize we got Arano either. Maybe we'll be fine there. Wish we got a good 3b to move riley to an inf bench spot and got an ample duvall and or markakis backup

Why are people so eager to replace Austin Riley? I just don't get the impatience with him. He's 23 years old and barely has a full season of MLB experience and showed great signs of improvement in 2020.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Why are people so eager to replace Austin Riley? I just don't get the impatience with him. He's 23 years old and barely has a full season of MLB experience and showed great signs of improvement in 2020.

He can't hit a fastball, that's alarming.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Malachore said:

He can't hit a fastball, that's alarming.

Actually he can hit fastballs just fine. In 2020 his average against fastballs was .265 with an xBA of .288. His slugging was only .363 but his xSLG was .441.

Austin Riley is dealing with the exact same thing Dansby Swanson did his first few seasons. That is terribly horrendous luck. That is why I don't understand the impatience.

Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Kipnis has been down right awful, ik he had a wrist injury but he's old and his advanced statistics make Ender look like Ozuna.

Minor league deal. If he doesn't perform you stick him at AAA or show him the door, no risk in it. I do expect him to make the 26 man roster but he's still an easy cut if he doesn't do anything. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Why are people so eager to replace Austin Riley? I just don't get the impatience with him. He's 23 years old and barely has a full season of MLB experience and showed great signs of improvement in 2020.

I see it more as strengthening the bench than replacing Riley. Riley is going to be a fantastic player, and will likely hold down 3B for many years, but if we were to acquire someone that is a legitimate upgrade we upgrade both that spot and the bench that needs it. But also we could just let Riley start and get a decent bench bat as well (not Camargo)

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, ATLFalcon36 said:

I see it more as strengthening the bench than replacing Riley. Riley is going to be a fantastic player, and will likely hold down 3B for many years, but if we were to acquire someone that is a legitimate upgrade we upgrade both that spot and the bench that needs it. But also we could just let Riley start and get a decent bench bat as well (not Camargo)

Riley isn't going to reach his full potential sitting on the bench. He needs to start at Gwinnett or in Atlanta and get regular ABs to reach his full potential.

Hopefully the Camargo that we saw in September and in October is the new normal Camargo that can be an asset as a bench guy but I'm not ready to commit to that yet.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Minor league deal. If he doesn't perform you stick him at AAA or show him the door, no risk in it. I do expect him to make the 26 man roster but he's still an easy cut if he doesn't do anything. 

That's kind of my point though they still don't have that bench bat or legit 4th OF.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe one of the minor league guys can be that bench bat we need, but I don't want to depend on someone that's unproven. Would it make sense for Waters or Harris to play with the big league team? Idk if it makes sense to rush them and start the clock, but someone else is probably much more knowledgeable on the subject than me

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Maybe one of the minor league guys can be that bench bat we need, but I don't want to depend on someone that's unproven. Would it make sense for Waters or Harris to play with the big league team? Idk if it makes sense to rush them and start the clock, but someone else is probably much more knowledgeable on the subject than me

I wouldn't do that to Harris or Waters. They already missed a real minor league season last year. Id rather just pick up some guys that are cut or still available rather than rush those guys.

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I wouldn't do that to Harris or Waters. They already missed a real minor league season last year. Id rather just pick up some guys that are cut or still available rather than rush those guys.

Makes sense. Figured it wouldn't be wise to bring either guy up for the long haul. Wait until the DH is here in 2022 and I think it would make more sense. Maybe one of those guys can start. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...