2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

8 hours ago, tl;dr said:

I really hope the DH becomes a thing now. Would suck to have to go back to pitchers hacking away at junk up there. I almost wonder if Ozuna is worth it regardless of the DH on a multi year deal because it's coming. One year of having to cover for him would be okay with me to some degree. 

In an ideal world, the DH stays and Waters comes up to take Markakis's spot. Our bench gets a lot better with Duvall as the 4th OF IMO. I still think we need more bench depth though. 

When the Braves signed Ozuna there was no DH. I understand not wanting Ozuna in the OF but that was the plan when he was signed.

6 hours ago, jidady said:

Mark Melancon, Marcell Ozuna, Shane Greene, and Pablo Sandoval are the players I want back.

We were too sentimental about Nick, and it bit us.

As for Riley, he knows what he has to do, and he'll probably have until June or so to work on it. I'm not worried about him at all.

What possible reason could you want the Braves to keep Pablo Sandoval?

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

What possible reason could you want the Braves to keep Pablo Sandoval?

Team reports indicated that he was terrific in the clubhouse and is really well liked by the young players. It's understandable since they grew up watching him win titles. It'd be like this year where we would him behind the scenes more than in a significant role, kind of like Culberson.

30 minutes ago, jidady said:

Team reports indicated that he was terrific in the clubhouse and is really well liked by the young players. It's understandable since they grew up watching him win titles. It'd be like this year where we would him behind the scenes more than in a significant role, kind of like Culberson.

If the active roster were 28 again, I'd be fine with this. Since it probably won't be, I don't see a spot. For him or Culberson for that matter.

34 minutes ago, jidady said:

Yeah, I get that he's a great clubhouse guy. One of those glue guys but as @K26dp points out, there's really no way we can have a roster spot dedicated to a guy who brings very little on field production to the table.

4 minutes ago, K26dp said:

If the active roster were 28 again, I'd be fine with this. Since it probably won't be, I don't see a spot. For him or Culberson for that matter.

I would love to see Nick Markakis retire and then the Braves make him a coach of some sort.

Just now, AUTiger7222 said:

Yeah, I get that he's a great clubhouse guy. One of those glue guys but as @K26dp points out, there's really no way we can have a roster spot dedicated to a guy who brings very little on field production to the table.

I would love to see Nick Markakis retire and then the Braves make him a coach of some sort.

Why waste a roster spot on a great clubhouse guy? Just make one of the best into a coach and fill that with someone that produces on field.  Agreed 100%

11 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is a shame all of his other good work in the playoffs is forgotten because of  basically one pitch.

He is probably the braves closer

It wasn't one pitch. He struggled mightily in both game 4 and game 5.

I think the main reason Will Smith got so much venom from me and others is because we spent so much money on him and then he missed the first 3 weeks of the season because of the Covid stuff and then when he did pitch we had to hold onto our ***** because he gave up so many homeruns. 7 homeruns allowed in only 16 innings is extremely bad. His last year with the Giants he gave up only 10 homeruns in 65 innings. At his peak with the Giants he gave up only 3 homeruns in 53 innings one year and only 5 in 65 innings in another. We can argue until we're blue in the face at the reason why, but at the end of the day he was a massive disappointment to what we expected him to be. But there's no reason to not believe he won't bounce back next year in a normal season.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

It wasn't one pitch. He struggled mightily in both game 4 and game 5.

I think the main reason Will Smith got so much venom from me and others is because we spent so much money on him and then he missed the first 3 weeks of the season because of the Covid stuff and then when he did pitch we had to hold onto our ***** because he gave up so many homeruns. 7 homeruns allowed in only 16 innings is extremely bad. His last year with the Giants he gave up only 10 homeruns in 65 innings. At his peak with the Giants he gave up only 3 homeruns in 53 innings one year and only 5 in 65 innings in another. We can argue until we're blue in the face at the reason why, but at the end of the day he was a massive disappointment to what we expected him to be. But there's no reason to not believe he won't bounce back next year in a normal season.

Yeah...but none of that matters if he does not give up the homer to Smith.

He did give up alot of solo shots but he fixed himself and was lights out during the stretch run up until the Dodgers.

2 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

I don’t think this would be a season that I would judge his production. Give him a legitimate offseason. 

Freeman went through the same stuff Smith did and produced. So did d'Arnaud. We can't pick and choose who the weird offseason applied to and who it didn't.

• Unknøwn changed the title to 2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread
  • JD dirtybird21 pinned this topic