2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

1 minute ago, Malachore said:

Morton seems to be the Benjamin Button of MLB, hopefully he gives us a healthy season.

I don't know what to expect from Smyly but at 11 mil he needs to be a solid backend of the rotation piece or a dominant bullpen arm.

That's a great analogy. And I reiterate that I dislike the Smyly move. It feels very Gausman to me. I could have found much smarter ways to spend $11 million.

However, I've been wrong before, and I'll be wrong again. Smyly's a Brave now, so I hope he's the apocalypse walking.

• Replies 542
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Morton seems to be the Benjamin Button of MLB, hopefully he gives us a healthy season.

I don't know what to expect from Smyly but at 11 mil he needs to be a solid backend of the rotation piece or a dominant bullpen arm.

Honestly, I'd rather see Smyly in the 'pen than in the rotation and let Wright/Wilson battle it out for that slot.

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

That is completely valid. The difference is that Hamels hadn't pitched me the year before. The Cubs gave him the equivalent of an audition to prove to teams that he was healthy. For no apparent reason, we took that bait. I was against the move at the time and mocked it incessantly throughout the year, stating that Hamels was a myth.

Morton's different. He's been better in his 30s than he ever was in his 20s.

I know you've always been a big Morton fan and I would feel a lot differently about it had his signing been paired with a front end starter rather than a journeyman.

6 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

I hope we didn't spend $11 mil on him just to put him in the pen.

He could be a real weapon in the bullpen the same way the Indians used Andrew Miller or the Brewers use Josh Hader. I agree with the thought of putting him in the bullpen and letting Wright and Wilson battle it out for that last rotation spot.

Speaking of which, chris martin makes 13mil. The cost of maintaining a good team has gone way up. The braves have done a good job of bringing in young players and grooming them for the bigs. And for people to think that locking down acuna and albies to a bargain basement deal wasn't AA, youre lying to yourself and anyone else listening. This team is solid and will remain so.

35 minutes ago, Ransack said:

It was a weakass counterpoint. Do all GM's get credit for guys who were already there?

So if AA had traded them away and they preformed better than the players we received, would you not put that on his head? If you would, the inverse of that would be him holding onto them and they perform. You can't have one without the other.

Just now, Williamb said:

Speaking of which, chris martin makes 13mil. The cost of maintaining a good team has gone way up. The braves have done a good job of bringing in young players and grooming them for the bigs. And for people to think that locking down acuna and albies to a bargain basement deal wasn't AA, youre lying to yourself and anyone else listening. This team is solid and will remain so.

Well, Martin actually makes $7,000,000. It's Smith that costs $13m per. Notwithstanding, your point is still accurate.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

That is completely valid. The difference is that Hamels hadn't pitched me the year before. The Cubs gave him the equivalent of an audition to prove to teams that he was healthy. For no apparent reason, we took that bait. I was against the move at the time and mocked it incessantly throughout the year, stating that Hamels was a myth.

Morton's different. He's been better in his 30s than he ever was in his 20s.

One the Braves have been consistent about over the last six years... they love them some end-of-the-year small sample size good performance. 

Morton isn't going to be this year's Cole Hamels. If anyone is, it will be Drew Smyly. 

2 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

Well, Martin actually makes $7,000,000. It's Smith that costs $13m per. Notwithstanding, your point is still accurate.

Yeah, my bad, i got them mixed up in translation. Point being thats 20mil on 2 arms in the bp.

Edited by Williamb
Addition