2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

43 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Holy ****, the Braves have made moves too. It’s not like they haven’t done a single **** thing all off-season. Yes, more needs to be done, but acting like nothing has happened is incredibly disingenuous. 

I never said they didn't, I said they have multiple holes to fill and are worse off in the lineup and bullpen at the momement. 

1 hour ago, ATLBrave said:

Holy ****, the Braves have made moves too. It’s not like they haven’t done a single **** thing all off-season. Yes, more needs to be done, but acting like nothing has happened is incredibly disingenuous. 

No one ever said moves weren't made. Just that as we currently look at things on paper the Braves don't appear to be as strong as they were last year. Even you yourself have voiced your concern about the current makeup of the bullpen. Why is it when @Malachore and I voice our concern about the current makeup of the roster this is the type of response it generates?

Season is 3 months away. Still a lot of time to fill in needs. No one has panicked and doomed the team or season. We just said we were concerned. That is all. I think it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that the concern is valid.

On 1/14/2021 at 10:04 PM, Ransack said:

AA is doing nothing like he normally does.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

No one ever said moves weren't made. Just that as we currently look at things on paper the Braves don't appear to be as strong as they were last year. Even you yourself have voiced your concern about the current makeup of the bullpen. Why is it when @Malachore and I voice our concern about the current makeup of the roster this is the type of response it generates?

Season is 3 months away. Still a lot of time to fill in needs. No one has panicked and doomed the team or season. We just said we were concerned. That is all. I think it would be disingenuous to not acknowledge that the concern is valid.

See the above quote. Ever heard of the phrase, "a hit dog will holler" though?

17 hours ago, Malachore said:

I never said they didn't, I said they have multiple holes to fill and are worse off in the lineup and bullpen at the momement. 

I really think the bullpen will be ok. Need middle relievers. The thing that worries me most is having a solid bat behind freddie and a capable utility infielder.

2 hours ago, Williamb said:

I really think the bullpen will be ok. Need middle relievers. The thing that worries me most is having a solid bat behind freddie and a capable utility infielder.

And how big of a black hole catcher might be with Jackson back there. I don't trust that we'll see d'Arnaud hit like that again.

21 hours ago, ATLBrave said:

We signed an ancient Charlie Morton and a journeyman starter to one year deals. I understand the importance of rotation depth in today's game but it also kicks the can down the road on development of two young starters who we need to develop long term.  It's another half-assed move instead of investing in the long-term future of the club. Outside of the bandaid on a bullet wound how are we better than last year right now? We aren't and our GM either can't or won't make the moves to put this team over the top. You don't have to like it but that's the truth.

Just now, Ransack said:

We signed an ancient Charlie Morton and a journeyman starter to one year deals. I understand the importance of rotation depth in today's game but it also kicks the can down the road on development of two young starters who we need to develop long term.  It's another half-assed move instead of investing in the long-term future of the club. Outside of bandaid on a bullet wound how are we better than last year right now? We aren't and our GM either can't or won't make the moves to put this team over the top. You don't have to like it but that's the truth.

Not investing in the long-term future of the team? Are you ******* nuts? They have signed two of their youngest stars for almost the next decade, have, at minimum, 3 spots in the rotation under control for several more years (with 1 or 2 likely to sign deals that eat up 1 or 2 of their first years of free agency), along with having good young arms in the pipeline. We've also got potential long-term options at 3B, CF, and LF (Riley, Pache, and Waters). Yes, we need to make a couple of signings in the 'pen and sign another bat, but just because YOU don't like what he does, that doesn't make it the truth. Get out of here with that ********.

31 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Not investing in the long-term future of the team? Are you ******* nuts? They have signed two of their youngest stars for almost the next decade, have, at minimum, 3 spots in the rotation under control for several more years (with 1 or 2 likely to sign deals that eat up 1 or 2 of their first years of free agency), along with having good young arms in the pipeline. We've also got potential long-term options at 3B, CF, and LF (Riley, Pache, and Waters). Yes, we need to make a couple of signings in the 'pen and sign another bat, but just because YOU don't like what he does, that doesn't make it the truth. Get out of here with that ********.

I'm sorry I guess I missed where AA signed/drafted all those guys you mentioned. You're intentionally moving the goal posts when my comments have specifically been about AA. Yeah he signed Albies and Acuna to longterm deals at a bargain rate but that's something every other GM on the planet would have tried to do as well so spare me on what a great job that was. All I see is a GM riding the coattails of the guy before him and who can't pull the trigger on doing anything else.

11 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I'm sorry I guess I missed where AA signed/drafted all those guys you mentioned. You're intentionally moving the goal posts when my comments have specifically been about AA. Yeah he signed Albies and Acuna to longterm deals at a bargain rate but that's something every other GM on the planet would have tried to do as well so spare me on what a great job that was. All I see is a GM riding the coattails of the guy before him and who can't pull the trigger on doing anything else.

How am I intentionally moving the goal posts? You specifically called him out for not "investing in the long-term future of the club". Those are you words, not mine.

6 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

How am I intentionally moving the goal posts? You specifically called him out for not "investing in the long-term future of the club". Those are you words, not mine.

The first part of your second sentence in your last diatribe was the only thing that made sense and applied to the argument. The rest was you railing on about players that AA has/had nothing to do with. That's moving the goal posts.

1 minute ago, Ransack said:

The first part of your second sentence in your last diatribe was the only thing that made sense and applied to the argument. The rest was you railing on about players that AA has/had nothing to do with. That's moving the goal posts.

Are they currently within the Braves organization? If so, he would most certainly have something to do with them being here.

20 minutes ago, jidady said:

Morton's a (fake half) season removed from finishing third in the Cy Young vote. Let's not undersell him.

Morton seems to be the Benjamin Button of MLB, hopefully he gives us a healthy season.

I don't know what to expect from Smyly but at 11 mil he needs to be a solid backend of the rotation piece or a dominant bullpen arm.

13 minutes ago, Ransack said:

Sorry if I'm not hyped about a 37 year old starter. I still have Cole Hamels etched into my mind.

That is completely valid. The difference is that Hamels hadn't pitched me the year before. The Cubs gave him the equivalent of an audition to prove to teams that he was healthy. For no apparent reason, we took that bait. I was against the move at the time and mocked it incessantly throughout the year, stating that Hamels was a myth.

Morton's different. He's been better in his 30s than he ever was in his 20s.