2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

5 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Riley could benefit from a shorter swing. To an extent I think he is what he is. Hes not a guy that will hit .300 with a high OBP. Hes going to hit .260-.270 with 35 HR and a bunch of K's if he develops properly. Those numbers id gladly take but he has work to do and thats fine, hes young. 

I feel like he has enough strength and raw power to still hit HR's with shortened swings on occasion too. He definitely needs to expand that toolbox.

4 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It is going to be interesting to see what the Braves do with the rotation.....the young arms are plentiful and talented and will only get better with a healthy Soroka.

But it can definitely benefit from a Hammels type guy.... someone who will help mentor them.

Id really like Charlie Morton to come back to Atlanta. Retire a Brave.

2 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Id really like Charlie Morton to come back to Atlanta. Retire a Brave.

Unless he changes his mind, Morton said if the Ray's dont offer him a one year deal then he will just retire. He said he has no interest to play for anybody but the Rays 

6 minutes ago, LouDog said:

Unless he changes his mind, Morton said if the Ray's dont offer him a one year deal then he will just retire. He said he has no interest to play for anybody but the Rays 

He said he was unsure. He kind of hinted that he's open to it but he wouldn't take any offer. He kind of sounded unsure if anyone would want him other than Tampa. I would imagine the team that drafted and developed him would have a certain appeal to it. Now if they win the World Series that will change things. He probably will walk away with his 2 rings then.

One of the biggest priorities will be signing Freeman to an extension.  No way they let him hit the FA market after next year.  

And the big lingering question is what to do about Inciarte.  I doubt they release him.  Unless they are prepared to deal a top prospect or two to get rid of him, then he likely becomes the 4th outfielder.

And Trevor Bauer seems to have a fixation on the Braves; but the Reds have said that keeping him will be their top priority, and the free-spending Yankees and Angels are in need of pitching, too.  I doubt we see Bauer here.  But I would kick the tires on Drew Smyley. 

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Would be nice to see.

I wonder what Wainwright is going to do.

He hasn't indicated anything yet but hes another option for us. Cardinals are actually waiting on Molina and Wainwright. Molina has said before that he wouldn't play beyond his current deal which is now expired. Wainwright has gave no such indications.

5 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

I'd love to bring back Melancon on a similar deal as Martin and to see if we could upgrade from Greene. 

Greene overall had been a fantastic Brave so no really to replace him...he should be brought back in addition to another couple arms.

The pen as a whole was so good I want to see most of them back.

2 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

Greene overall had been a fantastic Brave so no really to replace him...he should be brought back in addition to another couple arms.

The pen as a whole was so good I want to see most of them back.

He's been good overall, but his K's are down from his time with DET and I think we could go after a higher-end guy as his replacement. I know Hendricks is probably a pipedream, but he's a guy I'd love to swap him out for.

3 minutes ago, brdu4 said:

I don’t think Ozuna can get another QO since he turned the one down last year. 

Yep, you're correct. Only allowed 1 QO in your career. Still, the Braves could offer 1 year $18.9M. Nobody really knows if teams are willing to spend coming off a year with very little revenue.

15 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yep, you're correct. Only allowed 1 QO in your career. Still, the Braves could offer 1 year $18.9M. Nobody really knows if teams are willing to spend coming off a year with very little revenue.

Has there been any indication that the NL will adopt the DH going forward into 2021?  If they do sign Ozuna and then the NL fails to adopt the DH, then we will have too many OF and Duvall would have to be traded.

4 minutes ago, The Kingfish said:

Has there been any indication that the NL will adopt the DH going forward into 2021?  If they do sign Ozuna and then the NL fails to adopt the DH, then we will have too many OF and Duvall would have to be traded.

Not necessarily to Duvall. Ozuna, Acuna and Pache in the OF. Duvall as the #4. I really think we'll dump Ender. He lost a step defensively and has nothing else going for him. Theres been whispers around the league that it might be discussed but its not a certainty until 2022.

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

The catch is the DH will be added in 2022. Do you live with him in LF for 1 year? Or do you cut him loose now

Excellent question.  I would do it; the only downside is a year of shuffling Pache, Duvall and Ozuna.  But with Ender and Markakis likely out, the outfield could get thin in a hurry with an injury or two. 

• Unknøwn changed the title to 2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread
  • JD dirtybird21 pinned this topic