2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

24 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It seems like the Braves are positioning to go after someone not named Ozuna. DOB called it "likely" the LF would be someone else. AA might not be willing to spend that big on such a poor defender with no DH promised. Teams are being told to operate as if there will be no DH for the foreseeable future. It looks unlikely for 2021 and you can't bank that both sides will come to an agreement in 2022 when that much payroll is involved.

Thing with this is Ozuna was signed before the DH was announced.  I think Ozuna is going to give us right of last refusal.  I think he wants to be in Atlanta with Ozzie and Acuna. 

40 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

It seems like the Braves are positioning to go after someone not named Ozuna. DOB called it "likely" the LF would be someone else. AA might not be willing to spend that big on such a poor defender with no DH promised. Teams are being told to operate as if there will be no DH for the foreseeable future. It looks unlikely for 2021 and you can't bank that both sides will come to an agreement in 2022 when that much payroll is involved.

I thought this as well just not sure who but Springer makes sense to me. They let Duvall go and adding that to Ozuna would be enough unless he goes the trade route. Guess 3B is also an option but Riley didn't look any more capable than Ozuna imo.

17 hours ago, CrimsonFalcon said:

Thing with this is Ozuna was signed before the DH was announced.  I think Ozuna is going to give us right of last refusal.  I think he wants to be in Atlanta with Ozzie and Acuna. 

We did but that was for 1 year. Hes probably seeking 3 or 4 years at that salary or higher. Thats a big investment without promises of a DH. 

ESPN's arguing for us to sign Springer. Here's the text:

"Springer likely is the next-best position player available in free agency behind Realmuto, and the Braves have to replace Marcell Ozuna; given the absurd performance he had in 2020, they'd likely have to replace some of that production even if he returned. If the season started right now, right field would be in terrific shape with Ronald Acuna Jr., but in center, Cristian Pache's bat is still a work in progress and left field is ... who knows after Atlanta non-tendered Adam Duvall. I wouldn't want to count on Springer playing center over the long haul, but he would give the Braves added flexibility in case Pache isn't quite ready."

1 hour ago, jidady said:

"Springer likely is the next-best position player available in free agency behind Realmuto, and the Braves have to replace Marcell Ozuna; given the absurd performance he had in 2020, they'd likely have to replace some of that production even if he returned. If the season started right now, right field would be in terrific shape with Ronald Acuna Jr., but in center, Cristian Pache's bat is still a work in progress and left field is ... who knows after Atlanta non-tendered Adam Duvall. I wouldn't want to count on Springer playing center over the long haul, but he would give the Braves added flexibility in case Pache isn't quite ready."

Springer is the one guy we could sign that would be an improvement over Ozuna. It would be incredible and if we still had Ted Turner's money then I would believe there was a realistic shot of the Braves signing him. But given what we know about how LM has operated and the massive losses they suffered, I just don't see this as a realistic option.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

If they can get Springer with enough room to extend Freeman, I would be all for it. He works if there's a DH or not. 

11 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Springer is the one guy we could sign that would be an improvement over Ozuna. It would be incredible and if we still had Ted Turner's money then I would believe there was a realistic shot of the Braves signing him. But given what we know about how LM has operated and the massive losses they suffered, I just don't see this as a realistic option.

Exactly I can’t see LM signing off on this because it would take a nice chunk of change. Hopefully I’m wrong 

9 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Exactly I can’t see LM signing off on this because it would take a nice chunk of change. Hopefully I’m wrong 

I think they have a budget, and I don't necessarily think anymore that it's a number that is less than last year's. Could be wrong, but if they stick in the ~$150-160M range while most other teams are cutting, they should be able to afford at least one more big ticket purchase while also still filling out some bench and bullpen spots. 

Even with the losses incurred last season, the Braves are up $100M net operating revenue since 1Q19. 

I dont see how it cant be Springer IMO. I mean it would be taking 2 steps back, not replacing Ozuna with his  production, and not protecting Freeman et-al. Price should not be an issue with a World Series team. With a Ozuna or a Springer not in this lineup (and right now there is not one) this team is not making it through division series.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Fourteen months ago, I would have loooooved the idea of signing Springer.

I'd struggle to root for such a shameless cheater now that we know what we know, though.

Well, if it makes you feel any better, Springer had one of the lower percentages of bangs vs. number of pitches seen. But I get it. He's a cheater. But so was McCann and Gattis. They all were.

Braves Nearly Signed Josh Harrison Last Summer

By Anthony Franco | December 5, 2020 at 7:26pm CDT

• Nationals infielder Josh Harrison nearly signed with the Braves after being released by the Phillies in July, relays Mark Zuckerman of MASNsports.com. Ultimately, the veteran infielder hooked on with Washington just a few days after the regular season began. While the Braves had a significantly more successful 2020 than did their division rivals, Harrison enjoyed a decent season at the plate. Clearly, both player and team were satisfied with the way things worked out. Harrison went on to ink a one-year extension that will keep him in D.C. in 2021.