2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

3 minutes ago, jidady said:

I think Smyly's already in danger of getting pushed out of the rotation.

Maybe, but we need more than 5 arms in today's game. Especially when you factor in injuries and such. Ynoa could also get some starts too and maybe Davidson? 

23 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Maybe, but we need more than 5 arms in today's game. Especially when you factor in injuries and such. Ynoa could also get some starts too and maybe Davidson? 

Oh, absolutely. I still remember a few years ago when we had eight starters on paper. Then, we lost our best two (including Medlen) on consecutive days in March.

My point is more that I'm relieved we didn't put all our eggs in Smyly's questionable basket.

26 minutes ago, Ransack said:

I understand it but I don't fully love the one year deals for vets like this.

AA clearly doesn't like long-term commitments on a high volume of players.

Given how many times we've watched teams (including the Braves) have to swallow salary to get rid of players, I buy into his worldview.

I mean, BJ/Melvin Upton cost us Kimbrel because that contract was so bad.

1 hour ago, Ransack said:

I understand it but I don't fully love the one year deals for vets like this. But if this is the route we're going go get Joc Pederson to platoon with Duvall and hopefully the DH thing will get sorted out so we can re-sign Ozuna.

Don’t understand what’s not to like.   Morton is an October stud and we are only commiting 1yr to him while we have great young starters with one coming off major injury.   Still throwing 95mph when needed and is a very aggressive pitcher who isn’t scared of the big moment.

Morton is 37yrs old so 1-yr deal is prudent and probably all Braves would want or need out of him.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Oh, absolutely. I still remember a few years ago when we had eight starters on paper. Then, we lost our best two (including Medlen) on consecutive days in March.

My point is more that I'm relieved we didn't put all our eggs in Smyly's questionable basket.

Ain’t that the truth lol

4 hours ago, Ransack said:

I understand it but I don't fully love the one year deals for vets like this. But if this is the route we're going go get Joc Pederson to platoon with Duvall and hopefully the DH thing will get sorted out so we can re-sign Ozuna.

He wasn't gonna sign a long-term deal. I'm surprised he didn't retire. He had said since 2 years ago that once his deal with the Rays was up he would retire. He's also 37 years old, so again, 1 year deal makes sense.

The Smyly deal for 1 year was absolutely the right call given his long injury history and inconsistency.

Braves are gonna offer Ozuna a long-term deal. Don't know if he'll take it but it's gonna be offered.

2 hours ago, The Kingfish said:

The last time Charlie Morton threw a pitch for the Braves was 9/21/08 in a game started by James Parr. The starting lineup included Josh Anderson, Gregor Blanco, KellyJohnson, Omar Infante, Casey Kotchman, Prado, McCann, & Frenchy. Glavine & Smoltz were still with the team, too.

I was a big big fan of Josh Anderson. I loved his speed and was so hoping the Braves would give him a legit shot at playing but that never happened.

4 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Anthopolous said he only had 3 SP's he would consider going into FA. Said Morton and Smyly were the top 2, didn't name the third, obviously. Added its all about depth and wanted 6 SP's he felt good about it going into the season.

My guess is the other was Jon Lester. He fits the mold. Veteran established MLB pitcher and lots of postseason experience.

19 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Don’t understand what’s not to like.   Morton is an October stud and we are only commiting 1yr to him while we have great young starters with one coming off major injury.   Still throwing 95mph when needed and is a very aggressive pitcher who isn’t scared of the big moment.

Morton is 37yrs old so 1-yr deal is prudent and probably all Braves would want or need out of him.

One year deals are fine as long as you are trying to win it all now, which we are. I would rather we have at least three solid durable guys on long term and this was a deal for a 4 or 5, but in today’s environment were pitchers are as durable as a glass figurines I guess  we’ve got what we’ve got. 

5 minutes ago, Screaming Brave said:

One year deals are fine as long as you are trying to win it all now, which we are. I would rather we have at least three solid durable guys on long term and this was a deal for a 4 or 5, but in today’s environment were pitchers are as durable as a glass figurines I guess  we’ve got what we’ve got. 

No that isn’t what the Braves needed.  They got what they needed which is a guy that can elevate his game/pitching in postseason.   A guy with ELECTRIC stuff.  Charlie Morton checks those boxes.

Braves starting pitching is very deep now assuming Soroka is back - with him, Fried and Anderson, the Braves have their 1,2,3 starters.   Braves needed someone who could be a top of the rotation guy should Soroka or one of the others be hurt.

Braves also have promising Bryce Wilson, Kyle Wright and the newly signed Drew Smiley.

Braves weren’t desperate for starting pitching this off-season and AA said he was only targeting three guys for two spots and he got them.  

3 hours ago, g-dawg said:

No that isn’t what the Braves needed.  They got what they needed which is a guy that can elevate his game/pitching in postseason.   A guy with ELECTRIC stuff.  Charlie Morton checks those boxes.

Braves starting pitching is very deep now assuming Soroka is back - with him, Fried and Anderson, the Braves have their 1,2,3 starters.   Braves needed someone who could be a top of the rotation guy should Soroka or one of the others be hurt.

Braves also have promising Bryce Wilson, Kyle Wright and the newly signed Drew Smiley.

Braves weren’t desperate for starting pitching this off-season and AA said he was only targeting three guys for two spots and he got them.  

I do hope those guys are our solid dependable top 3 but let’s see how things work in a long season. In today’s game it pays to have depth at SP. We seem to have it now. 

Edited by Screaming Brave