2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Unknøwn

Let's not forget that Liberty Media has more than just the Braves and the battery as major revenue streams for them. They also own Formula 1. This may be the one situation where being owned by a corporation actually benefits the Braves. I was just looking at a list a couple weeks ago and the CEO of Liberty Media was listed as the 2nd richest owner in baseball.

2 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm in the same boat. We just agreed to pay $11M for a guy who has been very very inconsistent in his career. He was really good early in his career with the Tigers and his first year with the Rays but then it got ugly for him. Had some injury problems and didn't pitch in the majors in 2017 or 18 and was beyond awful in 19. We're banking on 26 IP in 2020. ???

My thoughts too after reading some.

26 IP in 7 appearances/5 starts doesn't seem good.

4 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Let's not forget that Liberty Media has more than just the Braves and the battery as major revenue streams for them. They also own Formula 1. This may be the one situation where being owned by a corporation actually benefits the Braves.

Two quarters ago, Formula 1's revenue dropped from $620 million to $24 million. They just announced last quarter the other day. They had an operating loss of $115 million. They've lost revenue for three straight quarters.

That's...not helping.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

Two quarters ago, Formula 1's revenue dropped from $620 million to $24 million. They just announced last quarter the other day. They had an operating loss of $115 million. They've lost revenue for three straight quarters.

That's...not helping.

Yes. I looked up those numbers. They're pretty ugly. Also didn't know they owned SiriusXM. They actually made money in the 3rd quarter there. But not enough to make up for the losses with the Braves and Formula 1.

37 minutes ago, K26dp said:

Single-game tickets are now on sale. Braves guarantee that for any games that are cancelled or have restricted capacity due to COVID-19 the value of tickets will either be credited or refunded. 

I bit the bullet and did the 27-game pack in the off chance that the All-Star game is actually played here. Don't know if I will get another opportunity to go at any point again.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

I'm going to wait and see. I'll get some tickets after we know all the info on what 2021 will look like. 

I'm doing some science research right now.

You may or may not recall that I was extremely pessimistic about the COVID situation in March.

I'm just as optimistic about next April. We've got at least three companies, two of them in the US, who have effective vaccines coming. This nightmare is nearly over.

We just need for people not to be stupid during the holidays.

21 minutes ago, jidady said:

I'm doing some science research right now.

You may or may not recall that I was extremely pessimistic about the COVID situation in March.

I'm just as optimistic about next April. We've got at least three companies, two of them in the US, who have effective vaccines coming. This nightmare is nearly over.

We just need for people not to be stupid during the holidays.

I so hope that you're correct and we can get back to some semblance of normal by April.

28 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I so hope that you're correct and we can get back to some semblance of normal by April.

The good news is that based on everything I'm seeing, we'll have something in 2021. The bad news is that it may not be in time for the start of the baseball season, and we've seen that players and staff alike can be idiots.

On 11/18/2020 at 3:43 PM, LouDog said:

I'd be willing to bet that half of the population wont take the vaccine anyway. 

If it's true that it's 90% effective as both companies are claiming, we may still be able to get herd immunity if 50% of the populous take it... IF that 50% is evenly distributed around the country.

18 hours ago, K26dp said:

If it's true that it's 90% effective as both companies are claiming, we may still be able to get herd immunity if 50% of the populous take it... IF that 50% is evenly distributed around the country.

Moderna's actually near 95%, which is pretty incredible. That would have reduced the confirmed deaths from 1.37 million to roughly 82,000.

Moderna's got Pfizer beat in a significant way that nobody's reporting enough yet. The BioNTech cure requires cold storage at about -105 degrees. Nothing else major on the market is below -25. Moderna's doesn't require that.