2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

• Replies 963
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

On 11/3/2020 at 1:26 PM, Unknøwn said:

I'm not sure. Kevin Gausman is getting $18M for 1 year and everything we've heard said SP's will be able to command very expensive salaries for 2021. Mainly because the season will be significantly longer and rosters will go back to 26 and covid will still potentially be a thing. Teams want to be sure they have the arms.

I don't think this will prove to be true. With the COVID wrecking revenue this season, I think the FA money available is going to drive the market down.

We just signed Drew Smyly to a 1-year, $11m contract.

At first glance you think this would be for him to start, but DOB just said on Twitter he was joining the bullpen. I'll lean towards starter for right now because of DOB's track record, but curious to see how it pans out.

EDIT: He actually corrected it to the rotation.

1 hour ago, Malachore said:

I really don't know what to think...

I'm in the same boat. We just agreed to pay $11M for a guy who has been very very inconsistent in his career. He was really good early in his career with the Tigers and his first year with the Rays but then it got ugly for him. Had some injury problems and didn't pitch in the majors in 2017 or 18 and was beyond awful in 19. We're banking on 26 IP in 2020. ???

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Smyly has flashed good potential and was very good for SF last year. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Had a solid 2020 and has been solid when healthy. He had a 3.42 ERA last year but with a better defense he should have had a 2.01. Hes not an ace by any means but he fits our needs as a #4/5.

First off, I'd be very cautious judging a guy off only 26 IP. But maybe he figured out something? His strikeout rate was off the charts. 42 strikeouts in 26 innings is ridiculous. That's Randy Johnson territory. He's never ever before shown that kind of strikeout ability and if that carries over then $11M is a steal. I'm just very cautious about him.

3 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

First off, I'd be very cautious judging a guy off only 26 IP. But maybe he figured out something? His strikeout rate was off the charts. 42 strikeouts in 26 innings is ridiculous. That's Randy Johnson territory. He's never ever before shown that kind of strikeout ability and if that carries over then $11M is a steal. I'm just very cautious about him.

I think at worst he could transition to the 'pen like Drew Pomeranz did for SF and MIL a couple of years ago if he falters in the rotation. Don't think you can ever have too many quality lefties back there, especially guys who can give you multiple innings and can pitch to both sides of the plate.

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I'm not jumping for joy, he did have a productive time when he got to pitch. His problem has been staying healthy though. He could be a solid back of the rotation arm.

4 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Mechanical tweek got him an extra 2 mph on the 4-seamer and more break on the curve. High release-point guy like Ian Anderson, maybe they think they've figured out how to help him maintain.

It's a gamble. 

1 minute ago, ATLBrave said:

I think at worst he could transition to the 'pen like Drew Pomeranz did for SF and MIL a couple of years ago if he falters in the rotation. Don't think you can ever have too many quality lefties back there, especially guys who can give you multiple innings and can pitch to both sides of the plate.

Right. Drew Pomeranz has completely turned his career around in the pen with the way he's able to strikeout guys. At worse Smyly pans out the same way.

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

I'm not jumping for joy, he did have a productive time when he got to pitch. His problem has been staying healthy though.

Absolutely. The injury bug has been his problem. He's been hurt a ton in his career.