2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread

Not the thread we wanted but all we can do is move forward. With the Falcons season over ill be on live sports hiatus for a few weeks but there's always time to discuss the 2021 Braves. 

Braves free agents

Mark Melancon 

Cole Hamels 

Marcell Ozuna 

Shane Greene 

Nick Markakis 

Tyler Flowers 

Josh Tomlin 

Tommy Milone 

Pablo Sandoval 

• Replies 602
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy Thanksgiving gentlemen. 2020 didn't end the way we wanted but I was thankful we had baseball at all and it was a **** of a run. Enjoy coming here and talking with you guys.

DOB had an interesting note on Tyler Matzek. He said Anthopolous did not include Matzek in the original pool for Summer Camp. Snitker looked it over and called AA saying Matzek looked good in Spring a

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Not the thread we wanted but all we can do is move forward. With the Falcons season over ill be on live sports hiatus for a few weeks but there's always time to discuss the 2021 Braves. 

Braves free agents

Mark Melancon 

Marcell Ozuna 

Shane Greene 

Nick Markakis

These are the only guys we should bring back. Even Nick is more of an emergency OF. We need one more starting pitcher because I don't think Wright is going to make it as a starter. Also need to make our bench offensively stronger.

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

Still think we have a very bright future, but it does hurt right now. Would love to keep Ozuna and Greene. 

Oh yeah, our window is just beginning. That rivalry with the Dodgers is also just beginning. Keeping Ozuna would be huge but I'm not sure you can work it if there's no DH. The OF is already crowded. Pache will be the CF, Acuna in RF, Duvall returns as well. Waters could be ready at some point next year. I'm assuming Ender will be given the boot but you never know with all the financial hit that happened this year. Duvall could shift back to the #4 OF and power bat off the bench if there's no DH.

Just now, oztin said:

These are the only guys we should bring back. Even Nick is more of an emergency OF. We need one more starting pitcher because I don't think Wright is going to make it as a starter. Also need to make our bench offensively stronger.

I think Nick is going to retire. He almost didn't play this year and his bat speed evaporated as the season went. Theres also no more room in Atlanta and I dont see him leaving his hometown to play at this point. 

1 minute ago, Unknøwn said:

I think Nick is going to retire. He almost didn't play this year and his bat speed evaporated as the season went. Theres also no more room in Atlanta and I dont see him leaving his hometown to play at this point. 

Yeah I can also see getting this close and not making it being the straw to break the back. Since there aren't to many starting pitching in free agencies of note this year do you think we over pay via trade and get someone? I am pretty sure Ender, Folty, Newcomb, and Toki are all on the trade block.

4 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Oh yeah, our window is just beginning. That rivalry with the Dodgers is also just beginning. Keeping Ozuna would be huge but I'm not sure you can work it if there's no DH. The OF is already crowded. Pache will be the CF, Acuna in RF, Duvall returns as well. Waters could be ready at some point next year. I'm assuming Ender will be given the boot but you never know with all the financial hit that happened this year. Duvall could shift back to the #4 OF and power bat off the bench if there's no DH.

I really hope the DH becomes a thing now. Would suck to have to go back to pitchers hacking away at junk up there. I almost wonder if Ozuna is worth it regardless of the DH on a multi year deal because it's coming. One year of having to cover for him would be okay with me to some degree. 

In an ideal world, the DH stays and Waters comes up to take Markakis's spot. Our bench gets a lot better with Duvall as the 4th OF IMO. I still think we need more bench depth though. 

7 minutes ago, oztin said:

Yeah I can also see getting this close and not making it being the straw to break the back. Since there aren't to many starting pitching in free agencies of note this year do you think we over pay via trade and get someone? I am pretty sure Ender, Folty, Newcomb, and Toki are all on the trade block.

Folty will be allowed to walk. They won't offer him arbitration. Newk has some value as a RP so I wouldn't be surprised if they converted him full time. Touki will be AAA depth, I dont know how much value he has right now. I could see us signing a veteran SP like Charlie Morton. Stroman also is available and he has history with Anthopolous 

14 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I really hope the DH becomes a thing now. Would suck to have to go back to pitchers hacking away at junk up there. I almost wonder if Ozuna is worth it regardless of the DH on a multi year deal because it's coming. One year of having to cover for him would be okay with me to some degree. 

In an ideal world, the DH stays and Waters comes up to take Markakis's spot. Our bench gets a lot better with Duvall as the 4th OF IMO. I still think we need more bench depth though. 

Our bench is pretty bad. It didn't show up cause the DH eliminated the need. I mean we had to pull a washed up Pablo Sandoval off the scrap heap to take key ABs in October. 

4 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

I'm also concerned about Riley. I'm not sold on him being the answer at 3B. Hes a good option off the bench. He still has time but right now he has such glaring holes in his swing.

This is concerning for real. He can get better, but right now he isn't anything special. Would be nice if he could even be a .250, 30 HR type of guy. Right now he's not even that

4 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

This is concerning for real. He can get better, but right now he isn't anything special. Would be nice if he could even be a .250, 30 HR type of guy. Right now he's not even that

There is a guy we're now very familiar with available at 3B. Justin Turner will be a FA at the end of the World Series. 

8 minutes ago, dmite said:

Would Turner take a 1 year deal?  Probably not, but he’ll be 36 in November.

Yeah his age would make him want a longer deal I would think. Turner would be nice though. Maybe he could teach Riley a thing or two as well. I just wish we had a little bit more money to spend. We have a good team, but if we were willing to spend a little more, we could get really really good this year 

7 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Ozuna hinges on the DH staying. He will be 30 next year and his defense will only get worse.   He will likely require a 4 year deal and that could be an albatross if he has to butcher LF in his age 32 and 33 years.  

No DH spot, no Ozuna

The catch is the DH will be added in 2022. Do you live with him in LF for 1 year? Or do you cut him loose now

Not really sold on a replacement for Riley just yet.

He has some work to do but the talent is there.

He played rock solid defense at third (a couple throwing errors aside) and showed improvement at the plate.

He just needs to find a bridge to hitting the fast ball like he did in 19 and the breaking stuff in 2020.

• Unknøwn changed the title to 2020-21 Braves Offseason Thread
  • JD dirtybird21 pinned this topic