6 minutes ago, RYNE said:

The guarantee is the OPPORTUNITY to draft the best players. That can only be achieved by having the highest pick possible. 

I agree. That goes without saying.

However you could theoretically get the opportunity to draft the best players by trading draft capital. This isn’t the ideal situation, but you can create opportunity in that regard. 

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They don't have to tank. This team is bad. Just like last year. The thing is they don't have a slate of easy games at the end of the year like last year. This is a 3-13 team at best. You need seasons

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on. But here's my question to all of

Nailed it. No team tanks on purpose.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I agree. That goes without saying.

However you could theoretically get the opportunity to draft the best players by trading draft capital. This isn’t the ideal situation, but you can create opportunity in that regard. 

I don’t want to trade draft capital. We need to acquire it. 

Just now, RYNE said:

I don’t want to trade draft capital. We need to acquire it. 

I agree. I even said it wasn’t ideal. My response was to the “opportunity” portion of your first response. As if the only way to garner the opportunity to get the best players was by having a higher draft pick by record. Which isn’t true. Trading is always an option.

That being said, I would much rather have the 1st overall pick due to record than by trading to get it. The premise of my initial post is that higher picks are general better prospects. Prospects are better due to a number of factors. So in essence you’re drafting high from a set of high quality players. Ergo the probability is higher that they could pan out as opposed to mid to late round prospects. 

2 hours ago, ROMERO said:

Nailed it. No team tanks on purpose.

Several teams have tanked on purpose. They simply tank in different ways and for different reasons. You can tank to give the younger players experience, you can also tank to reset a franchise (which is what we should be doing). You can also tank to fully heal vets... like what we should be doing with Julio. 

Sometimes as a franchise you need to take one step back in order to take two forward. Or be stuck in mediocrity 

2 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

Tanking isn't about losing. It is simply prioritizing other aspects of team development over winning. A coach can also get a job by showing their ability to develop lesser talent and to scheme players to maximize their ability and still be tanking. Development can take place when winning or losing 

Will the Giants get their first win against the Washington football team?  The Lions and Jags game must produce a W for one of them.  The Vikes after today could have two wins which we certainly can't replicate over the last 10 weeks of the season.  Hope springs eternal.

2 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

No one believes the players or coaches will ever intentionally lose, tank or play bad just for a better draft pick. Still doesn’t mean fans can’t want to see the team end up with a record that will grant them a number 1 overall pick. 

End of the day we are all just fans who have NO influence on the game. Whether you want them to win or not. 

Just now, Someday soon said:

Will the Giants get their first win against the Washington football team?  The Lions and Jags game must produce a W for one of them.  The Vikes after today could have two wins which we certainly can't replicate over the last 10 weeks of the season.  Hope springs eternal.

NFC East is a $hitshow. With no real viable contender. I could see NYG getting 1-2 wins against their division. NYJ are the real issue for #1. The only potential team they could be is Miami. And they play tough. 

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

NFC East is a $hitshow. With no real viable contender. I could see NYG getting 1-2 wins against their division. NYJ are the real issue for #1. The only potential team they could be is Miami. And they play tough. 

The Jets deserve the first pick way more than the Falcons do.  The fact we currently have the same amount of wins as them is telling.

13 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I personally believe that the team will start to win soon and play themselves out of the Lawrence sweepstakes.  

There are at least three viable Ryan successors in this draft.  I am not really worried.  

And the same next year, and the year after that, etc, etc. Not worried one bit.

The OP addresses the people on here and why they would want the team to tank, in other words, continue to play traditional old-time Falcon football and grab the top pick. Some may feel that's just not right, even though the number one pick would probably cut years off the time it will take for the Falcons to be in the play-offs again.

But immediately everybody starts talking about players and coaches need to perform at their best for their future, which is exactly right. Fact #1, nobody in here is expecting the coaches and players to tank. Fact number two, none of us have the least influence or impact on what happens on the field. So the tank label is, and always has been patently absurd.

The coaches and players will give their best, as they should. Sadly, they've put themselves in such a miserable position for the third year in a row that we fans can't be blamed for throwing in the towel on this season and hoping for the best for next year and beyond regardless of what they do.

5 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

Edited by Intellectually Honest
6 hours ago, Trump MAGA said:

You simply cannot ethically issue a demand to tank. However under Quinn it appeared they were tanking on their own. 

There are 11 games left. This is unique for an interim coach to have this many games left. He has an opportunity to prove whether or not this team had a talent problem or a scheme problem or both. We looked this bad last year when we ran off a 6-2 second half. So there has to be some thought that this team has it in them to go on an 8-3 run which could get them in the playoffs. Who knows with this team?

After today I kind of feel like they were tanking on purpose to get rid of DQ. 

it’s hard to imagine why it’s like a diff team now 

7 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

No of course not. That's why a new GM needs to come in and assess our assets ASAP.  If we can get value for aging assets, make that transaction all day and build for the future. The GM will do the "Rebuilding", not the coach. 

7 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

This same effing argument EVERY single time. 

Not asking players/coaches to lose on purpose,just to keep playing in a way to get as high a draft pick as possible.What would finishing middle of the pack do?I know some players are playing for their careers,but why would you want to play for a team with NO chance of winning a ring?Put anyone up for trade,except Ridley and Jarrett,get a new GM,maybe a new coach depending on how the IHC does,get a new way of doing things(slogans didnt work)and MAYBE the fans'll come back.It reminds me of when RSsr. was the owner.

6 hours ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Exactly!  It isn't tanking, it is developing your depth. Bench Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gurley, Jarrett, and Debo. Start the bottom of the depth chart. Blank could order Morris to do just that. Then sell that 1st overall pick for extra picks to really help the new staff.

No. Players often have incentives in their contracts and guys are free agents and playing for a new or bigger contract. Blank would be in trouble for that.

7 hours ago, caponine said:

These players are bored and have no excitement at all, im sorry but you need to reenergize the team and the fanbase. Pushing players harder in practice is not going to do much. Getting a new GM, HC, QB trio for the next 15 year is definitely a way to get players excited again, somethinh new and fresh. Matt has been in the league 13 years and hasnt won anything. That starts to wear on the team after awhile 

I'll take wins over excitement 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. If you win, none of the rest adds up to a hill of beans. Washed up QBs, slow RBs, retread interim coaches...as long as the Ws flow, I'm good with all of it. 

We will tank as Matt ages. I do like the idea of getting a top pick this year to draft a new QB. But in reality, next year we could be the same situation since we have no money to upgrade the roster. I’m sure the QB’s next year will be just as hyped up