Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

They don't have to tank. This team is bad. Just like last year. The thing is they don't have a slate of easy games at the end of the year like last year. This is a 3-13 team at best. You need seasons

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on. But here's my question to all of

Nailed it. No team tanks on purpose.

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

Nailed it. No team tanks on purpose.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

You simply cannot ethically issue a demand to tank. However under Quinn it appeared they were tanking on their own. 

There are 11 games left. This is unique for an interim coach to have this many games left. He has an opportunity to prove whether or not this team had a talent problem or a scheme problem or both. We looked this bad last year when we ran off a 6-2 second half. So there has to be some thought that this team has it in them to go on an 8-3 run which could get them in the playoffs. Who knows with this team?

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, caponine said:

This is and would be the most falcons thing ever lol there's no excitement anymore with this franchise, team is stale now. 

It would be the most falcons thing ever to not tank? So you want fringe players to throw away there careers so a fan like me or you can enjoy a #1 pick. If I was them I wouldn't give a dam about no draft pick Id want to keep playing and playing bad won't help

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

It would be the most falcons thing ever to not tank? So you want fringe players to throw away there careers so a fan like me or you can enjoy a #1 pick. If I was them I wouldn't give a dam about no draft pick Id want to keep playing and playing bad won't help

These players are bored and have no excitement at all, im sorry but you need to reenergize the team and the fanbase. Pushing players harder in practice is not going to do much. Getting a new GM, HC, QB trio for the next 15 year is definitely a way to get players excited again, somethinh new and fresh. Matt has been in the league 13 years and hasnt won anything. That starts to wear on the team after awhile 

Link to post
Share on other sites

They don't have to tank. This team is bad. Just like last year. The thing is they don't have a slate of easy games at the end of the year like last year. This is a 3-13 team at best. You need seasons like this to full expose the flaws of a team. These issues have been present for 3 years now. Yall call some people "tankers" because unnecessary wins masked these issues and we pointed that out. Look at how great the Falcons looked again the Kyle Allen Panthers! Lol yes the wins vs NO and SF were nice, but they beat teams that weren't going to be that version of the team going forward while not addressing their schemes were terrible and the coaching was terrible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

No, but if they didnt suck they would have played better the first half of the last 3 years. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanking on a professional level doesn’t exist UNLESS it’s in cases where point shaving and taking a dive happen.

That being said, I am a big proponent of using meaningless games to evaluate the team as a whole. Instead of playing your starters 100% of the time, we should be using backups at least 30% of the time, and not just in garbage time.

One thing this team has never done well is have depth. The only way to do that is to evaluate current talent. What better way than in a game. We don’t know, what we don’t know.

Throw players out into the fire and see who has hope. Bring up practice squad members and see if they can get it done. Sign undrafted talent for “prove it” deals with no guarantee.

Experiment with new schemes, formations, tactics, sets etc. If we’re going to lose, then at least lose trying to do something new. Don’t lose trying to squeeze that same d@mn square block into that round hole. Use this time to evaluate EVERYTHING. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tanking happens all the time in pro sports. It may not be a collective communicated organizational tank, but it happens all the time. Players quit on the field regularly and it’s obvious even to the novice fan. Organizations trade or cut their best players. Seen it my whole life. The NBA? They literally changed their draft lottery due to tanking. Oh, it happens. Not suggesting that I believe in it, and it’s definitely not honorable, but tanking is real. Even if it’s just mental. It’s real. Sadly. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Tanking on a professional level doesn’t exist UNLESS it’s in cases where point shaving and taking a dive happen.

That being said, I am a big proponent of using meaningless games to evaluate the team as a whole. Instead of playing your starters 100% of the time, we should be using backups at least 30% of the time, and not just in garbage time.

One thing this team has never done well is have depth. The only way to do that is to evaluate current talent. What better way than in a game. We don’t know, what we don’t know.

Throw players out into the fire and see who has hope. Bring up practice squad members and see if they can get it done. Sign undrafted talent for “prove it” deals with no guarantee.

Experiment with new schemes, formations, tactics, sets etc. If we’re going to lose, then at least lose trying to do something new. Don’t lose trying to squeeze that same d@mn square block into that round hole. Use this time to evaluate EVERYTHING. 

Exactly!  It isn't tanking, it is developing your depth. Bench Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gurley, Jarrett, and Debo. Start the bottom of the depth chart. Blank could order Morris to do just that. Then sell that 1st overall pick for extra picks to really help the new staff.

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Tanking on a professional level doesn’t exist UNLESS it’s in cases where point shaving and taking a dive happen.

That being said, I am a big proponent of using meaningless games to evaluate the team as a whole. Instead of playing your starters 100% of the time, we should be using backups at least 30% of the time, and not just in garbage time.

One thing this team has never done well is have depth. The only way to do that is to evaluate current talent. What better way than in a game. We don’t know, what we don’t know.

Throw players out into the fire and see who has hope. Bring up practice squad members and see if they can get it done. Sign undrafted talent for “prove it” deals with no guarantee.

Experiment with new schemes, formations, tactics, sets etc. If we’re going to lose, then at least lose trying to do something new. Don’t lose trying to squeeze that same d@mn square block into that round hole. Use this time to evaluate EVERYTHING. 

Play Gono and Hennessy more and scour the other 31 practice squads for DB and safety talent. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

Literally nobody that wants to lose (smart people) has ever said they believe the players and coaches will throw the game or not try to win. Idk where this stupid idea comes from. 
 

let me clear up another genius thought. Wanting this team to lose to be better positioned to build for the future come April also doesn’t make you “less of a fan”.  It means you have a half a brain and understand how the NFL works. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Dirtier Bird said:

Exactly!  It isn't tanking, it is developing your depth. Bench Ryan, Julio, Ridley, Gurley, Jarrett, and Debo. Start the bottom of the depth chart. Blank could order Morris to do just that. Then sell that 1st overall pick for extra picks to really help the new staff.

Was on board until the “sell the first overall pick”.  Unless a team is giving us 3 firsts (One in the top 10 of the same year) and 2 seconds, you take Lawrence.

Benching the stars, even for a quarter, should be the prudent decision. Especially with injuries that can be devastating. Case in point the meaningless game we had Abraham out there for that he got injured. If something major happens to Grady that puts him out for a portion of next season, it only serves to hurt us. No reason to risk injury for a 5-11 record as opposed to a 4-12 record. Risk vs Reward. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RYNE said:

Literally nobody that wants to lose (smart people) has ever said they believe the players and coaches will throw the game or not try to win. Idk where this stupid idea comes from. 
 

let me clear up another genius thought. Wanting this team to lose to be better positioned to build for the future come April also doesn’t make you “less of a fan”.  It means you have a half a brain and understand how the NFL works. 

I can agree with you to an extent.

The ideology of wanting us to be at a better draft position so that we can potentially get impactful players is, inherently, being a fan.

“Anti-tankers”, for lack of a better word, want us to win as many games as we can. They would rather us win 5 games as opposed to 4. This too, is inherently, being a fan. 

The issue becomes when the draft comes around. Not a single fan of any team doesn’t want impactful players, that’s a given.

I see more “Anti-tankers” scoff at the idea of trading up in the draft for these players. They usually say a generic statements like:

“You can still get “X” player at “Y” slot.”, or “X” player got drafted at “Y” slot” and he’s a future hall of famer.”.

Or some sort of iteration where a higher draft spot would have been more advantageous. It’s typically used to cover the reasoning behind us winning 1 or 2 games that put us at a worse position.

There are no guarantees in the draft. You’re, in essence, basing things off probability. What are the chances that this player pans out as impactful. Theoretically the higher the draft position, the higher the probability that the player busts.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

No one believes that any of the current coaches or players purposefully lose.  Unless, of course, if they are being paid by some bent-nosed guys out of Vegas.  

Having said that, many Falcons supporters realize that Quinn's "leadership" wasted most of Ryan's and Julio's best years.  They also look at both of those stars and see that the end of their careers are approaching.  

So, instead of desperately hoping for a rally that will likely end up in a mid-round pick (again), they are thinking that a potentially great new QB can be added to the roster and brought along carefully.  They see the ultimate benefit of such an addition to the team.  

This is not about tilting at windmills.  It is about realistically looking at the team and its future.  Some people want a great future and others cling to the hope that the future is now.  

Just two schools of thought.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, FalconofShadows said:

So I know why everyone who is a tanker wants to tank. I get it I understand. 1st pick is exciting maybe getting another great QB for another 10+ years and so on.

But here's my question to all of you, do you really think the coaches and players who are fighting to continue there careers? You have coaches who know they will be looking for a job next year and a bunch of players on last year of deal or a 1 year deal. Plus the players who will be cap casualties. Do you really think they will just lose on purpose just so a team they won't be on next years has a better pick?

No and wouldn’t expect them to, but trading some of the better players would help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

I can agree with you to an extent.

The ideology of wanting us to be at a better draft position so that we can potentially get impactful players is, inherently, being a fan.

“Anti-tankers”, for lack of a better word, want us to win as many games as we can. They would rather us win 5 games as opposed to 4. This too, is inherently, being a fan. 

The issue becomes when the draft comes around. Not a single fan of any team doesn’t want impactful players, that’s a given.

I see more “Anti-tankers” scoff at the idea of trading up in the draft for these players. They usually say a generic statements like:

“You can still get “X” player at “Y” slot.”, or “X” player got drafted at “Y” slot” and he’s a future hall of famer.”.

Or some sort of iteration where a higher draft spot would have been more advantageous. It’s typically used to cover the reasoning behind us winning 1 or 2 games that put us at a worse position.

There are no guarantees in the draft. You’re, in essence, basing things off probability. What are the chances that this player pans out as impactful. Theoretically the higher the draft position, the higher the probability that the player busts.  

The guarantee is the OPPORTUNITY to draft the best players. That can only be achieved by having the highest pick possible. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...