We really need a top notch vet DC

Everybody talks about an offensive minded coach, but we have still put up points with sorry DK. We need a bonafied DC to turn the defense around. I like Rod Marinelli or Wade Phillips. Marinelli is more connected to McKay and Webster tho. Idk how patient they will be about hiring the next GM/HC, but the teams that will probably be out of contention early and the people they could interview are the Vikings, Colts, and 49ers.

They still can interview people on their bye week tho like KC. But here’s who Marinelli and Phillips are connected to.

GM: Paton 

HC: Mike McDaniel

OC: Kubiak 

DC: Phillips 

GM: Dodds 

HC: Saleh 

OC: Kubiak

DC: Phillips 

GM: Dodds 

HC: Eberflus 

OC: Linehan 

DC: Marinelli

GM: Borgonzi 

HC: Toub 

OC: Mornhinweg 

DC: Marinelli

I really could see the Paton/McDaniel or Dodds/Eberflus because of the chance to hire Marinelli/Phillips. But Borgonzi/Toub is really good too.

Edited by ike barn87987

One thing you have to take into account is what type of defensive scheme the new HC would want to run, which in return will determine who they want as their DC.

For example, you have a scenario with Saleh as the new HC. Well Saleh will more than likely install the defense(which is pretty much the same as Quinn's) that he's known for and get someone to run it like he does. Which means no Wade Phillips as DC under Saleh.

47 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

One thing you have to take into account is what type of defensive scheme the new HC would want to run, which in return will determine who they want as their DC.

For example, you have a scenario with Saleh as the new HC. Well Saleh will more than likely install the defense(which is pretty much the same as Quinn's) that he's known for and get someone to run it like he does. Which means no Wade Phillips as DC under Saleh.

True

7 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Marinelli is definitely a match with Eberflus and possibly with Toub as well. I don’t think Phillips matches well with the above coaches.

I've liked the idea of a vet DC with a proven track record who doesn't care about being a HC again running the defense and the HC doesn't have to worry about that side of the ball. 

With that said, I'll contradict myself because he may want to be a HC again is Matt Patricia. He's on the hot seat in Detroit. But is he a product of Belichek like many of his other assistants? Just a name to watch though.

@tbhawksfan

The more important need is an integrated approach between offence and defence. You can have a great DC but if your offence doesn’t control the ball or apply constant explosive play pressure on the other team (e.g. 2016 Falcons), and your D is constantly on the field or put in the position where the other team gets short fields, it doesn’t matter. This is the biggest issue I have with Koetter’s offence - can’t control the ball and clock to help the D. If the D is good enough to give the offence a couple of extra possessions a game, either by for forcing 3 and outs or with turnovers, then even a mediocre offence will score its share of points. The DQ regime was the worst I’ve ever seen at understanding much less playing complimentary football. And I haven’t even started in on special teams. 

Edited by EpicBird
11 hours ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

Saleh might get Mike McDaniel as OC