Jump to content

Falcons To Shake Things Up Offendively


Recommended Posts


After coaching change, Falcons’ offense to ‘shake this thing up’

“Over the past two weeks, the Falcons have been unable to put up more than 16 points by the end of the fourth quarter. On offense, the Falcons haven’t produced 20 points in the past three games since cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson ran back an interception for a touchdown in Week 3′s 30-26 loss to the Chicago Bears.

One major issue for the Falcons has been their tendency to stall and settle for field goals. Quarterback Matt Ryan said that has to change if the Falcons are going to change this early-season slide that resulted in a 0-5 start and former coach Dan Quinn’s dismissal.

 

We haven’t scored the way we need to score the last two weeks,” Ryan said. "That’s what we’ve got to fix. I think we had eight possessions last week. We scored on four of them, but you have to turn those into touchdowns. You have to quit coming away with three points when we’re down there low and quit turning the football down in the red zone.

“If we clean those things up, we’re going to be just fine, but we really just need to make a play or two when we get our chances whether it be first down, second down or third down in those red areas. When we get our chances to attack, we’ve got to nail it.”

Thus far, the Falcons rank 26th in the NFL at converting red-zone trips into touchdowns. They have been able to accomplish this feat only 52.9 percent of the time. But it’s not like the Falcons' playmakers haven’t produced. Despite going without a catch in Week 4 against the Green Bay Packers, receiver Calvin Ridley still ranks fifth in the NFL with 485 receiving yards, having gone over 100 in each of the four other games.

Running back Todd Gurley gave the Falcons their first 100-yard rushing performance since 2018 when he ran for 121 yards and a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers last week. Gurley has scored at least one touchdown in four of the Falcons' five games.

One player who the Falcons hope will become more involved is tight end Hayden Hurst, who does have two touchdowns and seven first-down receptions this season. However, he has caught only 15 of his 28 targets for 170 yards, which could indicate he and Ryan are still working on furthering on-field chemistry with one another.

At the center of the offense’s woes has been offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who said he and his unit share part of the blame for the events that have occurred in the first five games.

 

Everybody here is hurting for (Quinn) because we all had a part in that,” Koetter said. “We all had a sense of responsibility. It’s been a difficult week but none of our opponents care about that. That’s the business side of the NFL. You still have to be prepared and be ready on Sunday to play our best.”

After Raheem Morris moved from defensive coordinator to interim coach, he said he spoke with Koetter the direction of the offense. The Falcons rank 11th in total offense (391.4 yards per game), eighth in passing (276.8) and 17th in rushing (114.6). If the run game’s numbers continue, this will mark significant improvement from last season’s 30th-place showing at 85.1 rushing yards per game.

Most important, the Falcons sit 21st in the league in scoring at 24.4 points per game. Morris said he spoke with Koetter about ways to tweak the offense so it can perform to its potential during Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.

“We want to do some different things that are going to change it up, shake this thing up,” Morris said. “Let’s get our players on the field and get them to do what they do best. My conversations with Dirk are in-line. I have a lot of confidence in Dirk. I know exactly who he is. I’ve worked with him for eight games. I played against him for a bunch more than that going way back to Jacksonville. So, my respect for Dirk and who he can be and what he’s going to be in these upcoming weeks is really high.”

Given that Morris fired special-teams coordinator Ben Kotwica, he was asked why he decided to keep Koetter on for the rest of the season. Despite the offense’s inconsistency at times, Morris said he still has great confidence in his offensive coordinator.

“You’re talking about one of the top, premier coaches in the National Football League over the last however many years that he’s been doing it,” Morris said. “He’s been a coordinator for a long time at a high level. A guy that I respect a lot, learned a lot from over the past year and a half, and I look forward to working with him these 11 games and trying to be our very best self.”

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m no Koetter fan for the most part, but I do find it interesting that in 2015 the team was having the same sort of issues in the red zone & Matt Ryan looked way off his game every week. It was to the point where it seemed like Shanny was gonna get the boot at any moment. I don’t necessarily see things turning around like they did then, but I do think that sometimes you just gotta weather the storm... and right now we seem to be in the midst of a hurricane. It’ll pass eventually, and there will certainly be some changes to the landscape... but it will pass. It did in 2015 & it will now.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Morris just said Koetter is one of the premiere coaches in NFL and has been for years.  Clearly I don’t understand the game if that’s true

Koetter has made fitzpatrick look like a mahomes before. He can do it with Matt Ryan

Link to post
Share on other sites

This whole ordeal is a freaking train wreck.

LOL. IF we clean things up...ha that’s some funny **** right there. Now that Quinn is gone let’s clean some things up and we’ll be fine. Oh yeah Matty it’s time. Morris with we’re going to shake things up. I mean let’s start every freaking year at 0-5 and 1-7 and then clean things up....let’s shake things up. 
Morris commending DK is a joke. DK needs a foot up his gas hole all the way out the door. 
This dog and pony show is way too old. A total train wreck that has crashed.
It’s time for change....trade MR and whoever else brings value and most importantly find a GM and let him chose his coach. 
 

Train wreck

Edited by Atl Falcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:


After coaching change, Falcons’ offense to ‘shake this thing up’

“Over the past two weeks, the Falcons have been unable to put up more than 16 points by the end of the fourth quarter. On offense, the Falcons haven’t produced 20 points in the past three games since cornerback Blidi Wreh-Wilson ran back an interception for a touchdown in Week 3′s 30-26 loss to the Chicago Bears.

One major issue for the Falcons has been their tendency to stall and settle for field goals. Quarterback Matt Ryan said that has to change if the Falcons are going to change this early-season slide that resulted in a 0-5 start and former coach Dan Quinn’s dismissal.

 

 

 

We haven’t scored the way we need to score the last two weeks,” Ryan said. "That’s what we’ve got to fix. I think we had eight possessions last week. We scored on four of them, but you have to turn those into touchdowns. You have to quit coming away with three points when we’re down there low and quit turning the football down in the red zone.

“If we clean those things up, we’re going to be just fine, but we really just need to make a play or two when we get our chances whether it be first down, second down or third down in those red areas. When we get our chances to attack, we’ve got to nail it.”

Thus far, the Falcons rank 26th in the NFL at converting red-zone trips into touchdowns. They have been able to accomplish this feat only 52.9 percent of the time. But it’s not like the Falcons' playmakers haven’t produced. Despite going without a catch in Week 4 against the Green Bay Packers, receiver Calvin Ridley still ranks fifth in the NFL with 485 receiving yards, having gone over 100 in each of the four other games.

Running back Todd Gurley gave the Falcons their first 100-yard rushing performance since 2018 when he ran for 121 yards and a touchdown against the Carolina Panthers last week. Gurley has scored at least one touchdown in four of the Falcons' five games.

One player who the Falcons hope will become more involved is tight end Hayden Hurst, who does have two touchdowns and seven first-down receptions this season. However, he has caught only 15 of his 28 targets for 170 yards, which could indicate he and Ryan are still working on furthering on-field chemistry with one another.

At the center of the offense’s woes has been offensive coordinator Dirk Koetter, who said he and his unit share part of the blame for the events that have occurred in the first five games.

 

 

 

Everybody here is hurting for (Quinn) because we all had a part in that,” Koetter said. “We all had a sense of responsibility. It’s been a difficult week but none of our opponents care about that. That’s the business side of the NFL. You still have to be prepared and be ready on Sunday to play our best.”

After Raheem Morris moved from defensive coordinator to interim coach, he said he spoke with Koetter the direction of the offense. The Falcons rank 11th in total offense (391.4 yards per game), eighth in passing (276.8) and 17th in rushing (114.6). If the run game’s numbers continue, this will mark significant improvement from last season’s 30th-place showing at 85.1 rushing yards per game.

Most important, the Falcons sit 21st in the league in scoring at 24.4 points per game. Morris said he spoke with Koetter about ways to tweak the offense so it can perform to its potential during Sunday’s game against the Minnesota Vikings.

“We want to do some different things that are going to change it up, shake this thing up,” Morris said. “Let’s get our players on the field and get them to do what they do best. My conversations with Dirk are in-line. I have a lot of confidence in Dirk. I know exactly who he is. I’ve worked with him for eight games. I played against him for a bunch more than that going way back to Jacksonville. So, my respect for Dirk and who he can be and what he’s going to be in these upcoming weeks is really high.”

Given that Morris fired special-teams coordinator Ben Kotwica, he was asked why he decided to keep Koetter on for the rest of the season. Despite the offense’s inconsistency at times, Morris said he still has great confidence in his offensive coordinator.

“You’re talking about one of the top, premier coaches in the National Football League over the last however many years that he’s been doing it,” Morris said. “He’s been a coordinator for a long time at a high level. A guy that I respect a lot, learned a lot from over the past year and a half, and I look forward to working with him these 11 games and trying to be our very best self.”

 

 
 

 

thanks for posting. i had wondered what was behind the title!! all i can say is if Morris believes this about Dirk then he too is too close to the problem!!!

Edited by sanfranfalcon
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Atl Falcon said:

This whole ordeal is a freaking train wreck.

LOL. IF we clean things up...ha that’s some funny **** right there. Now that Quinn is gone let’s clean some things up and we’ll be fine. Oh yeah Matty it’s time. Morris with we’re going to shake things up. I mean let’s start every freaking year at 0-5 and 1-7 and then clean things up....let’s shake things up. 
Morris commending DK is a joke. DK needs a foot up his gas hole all the way out the door. 
This dog and pony show is way too old. A total train wreck that has crashed.
It’s time for change....trade MR and whoever else brings value and most importantly find a GM and let him chose his coach. 
 

Train wreck

Then we would watch Matt Ryan and Kyle Shanahan win a ring for the niners

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

Morris just said Koetter is one of the premiere coaches in NFL and has been for years.  Clearly I don’t understand the game if that’s true

What did I tell you about Radio? The guy is as clueless as Quinn. The only thing I will say positive about him is he will assure us we will be in the Lawrence and Fields sweepstakes. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Osiruz said:

I had a dream that we hired Sexy Rexy once the season was over, and I fell back in love with my Falcons. I really pray this happens, I am so sick and tired of watching us trot out one inept defense after another. Just pair him with a good Oc that will run the ball.

Yeah, some fresh  peyote before bedtime always gives me those kind of dreams, too...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stat corner: Where is Matty Ice?

Overall, Ryan hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass in 11 quarters, since a 1-yard touchdown pass to tight end Hayden Hurst in the first quarter against the Bears on Sept. 27.

Not since Ryan’s rookie season has he gone back-to-back games where he didn’t throw a touchdown pass. He didn’t throw a touchdown pass against Denver on Nov. 16, 2008 (24-20 loss) and the following week against Carolina on Nov. 23 (45-28 win).

Over 194 career games, Ryan hasn’t thrown a touchdown pass in only 22 of those games, and five of them were in his rookie season. He has five more over the past two seasons (3 in 2019 and 2 this season).

Ryan had at least one touchdown in every regular-season game during the 2016 season during the team’s march to Super Bowl LI.

Ryan’s 38 game-winning drives rank eighth all-time for quarterbacks since 1960, according to profootballreference.com. Only, Peyton Manning (54), Drew Brees (51), Dan Marino (47), Tom Brady (46), Brett Favre (43), Ben Roethlisberger (43) and John Elway (40) have more.

Ryan’s 30 fourth-quarter comebacks also are eighth on the list of quarterbacks since 1960. Only Manning (43), Brady (37), Brees (36), Johnny Unitas (34), Marino (33), Roethlisberger (32) and Elway (31) have more.

Has Matty Ice left the building?

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

How are they really going to shake things up? What, like finally using Gurley in the passing game? Or, use more hurry up offense before they're getting their teeth kicked in? Or, maybe actually getting a few 1st downs on the opening drive instead of going three and out, or making a turnover? Please, this team has no answers and no heart.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...