Trade Matt and Julio

56 minutes ago, joeyg2033 said:
  1. ""The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.""  Money?  You can't be as dumb as you sound.  What alternative universe do you live in?  Money?  28-3.  How money was that that when he took an inexcusable sack on a drive when all we needed was a chipshot field goal.  He would've been better had he just audibled at the line and taken a knee for cripes sake.  Afterall he was the mvp, right?  Money?  How about the epic fail with the nfccg against San Fran when he couldn't get a friggin first down inside the fifteen when he absolutely needed it?  Money?  How about the playoff game against Philly with four chances inside the ten and couldn't even come close the getting it done. Those three scenarios perfectly sum up his career when it comes to money games.  Always close.  Never accomplished.  Sure, you'll tell me he's a hall of famer. Maybe so... But does that really make you feel better about the three golden opportunities that he squandered to win a super bowl and go down in Atlanta folklore as an immortal? 

In the SB Ryan threw a dime to Julio to even get the team in FG range.

wanna talk about the epic fail in Philly...how dare Ryan throw a pass this bad...

la-1515891048-3ogkfy3cvt-snap-image

24014550-standard.jpg

14 minutes ago, Someday soon said:

So releasing Ryan as a June 1st cut next spring causes dead cap hits of $23 million in 2021 and $26 million in 2022.  Is $50 million less than the $82 million he will be payed if he stays on the team.  Everything comes down to ones personal belief as if you think Ryan can win the big one at this stage of his career.

Versus some wet behind-the-ears rookie who may or may be successful one day, and not survive on a team strapped financially? Does anyone seriously believe we can “win the big one” anytime soon under that scenario?

To me, the only rational way to look at it is the dead cap is sunk cost, whether you keep Ryan or not....much of which was earned previously but pushed back into the future in order to sign vets.

so, do you pay a still a Top 10-15 QB $23 M next year? $16M in 2022? 

I know what I would do... 

Speaking of signs of life. Matt did a few good throws last week. His misses were mental more than physical. He was smooth like butter in the previous system. Even for Sark! But he looks so uncomfortable with Dirk. It was going okay early last year but the pass game has just been in cement since he hurt his ankle...

#105 Arthur Blank

Chairman, Atlanta Falcons
https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5d8a8cc56de3150009a50133%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D310%26cropX2%3D4009%26cropY1%3D16%26cropY2%3D3712
PHOTO BY PHELAN M. EBENHACK/AP PHOTO

REAL TIME NET WORTH

$6.3B
as of 10/16/20
$1 M | 0.02%

Reflects change since 5 PM ET of prior trading day

• Arthur Blank and Bernie Marcus cofounded Home Depot in 1978 after being fired from their jobs at a regional hardware store.
  • Blank stepped down as co-chairman of Home Depot in 2001 and the next year bought the NFL's Atlanta Falcons for $545 million (now worth $2.8 billion).
  • He brought pro soccer to Atlanta with his Major League Soccer team Atlanta United FC, which started playing in March 2017.
  • In August 2017, both of Blanks' teams moved into their new $1.5 billion home, Mercedes-Benz Stadium, which hosted the 2019 Super Bowl.
  • In 2012, he signed the Giving Pledge and committed to give more than half of his wealth away.

With Atlanta Falcons’ Big-Money Players Not Delivering, Coach Dan Quinn And GM Dimitroff Are Fired

Ray Glier
Ray GlierContributor
Ray Glier has covered Atlanta sports for 28 years
  •  
  •  
  •  
Seattle Seahawks v Atlanta Falcons

Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank (left) has fired head coach Dan Quinn. General Manager Thomas ... [+]

GETTY IMAGES

The fixed order of the NFL is to give contracts to the big stars. If an organization gets hit by poor coaching, injuries, close losses, and underperformance of those stars, an unholy mess follows and the salary cap becomes a ball-and-chain. The Atlanta Falcons are in the pit of that mess this week and owner Arthur Blank, at last, recognized it is time to fire head coach Dan Quinn and general manager Thomas Dimitroff. Atlanta is 0-5, and the ignominy of the dismissal wasn’t carried out on Zoom but in a late-night statement Sunday.

All those contracts, the parade of big money, deal after deal, promise after promise, and the Falcons are winless. Quinn and Dimitroff were conjoined in the drafts, trades, and roster construction that have soured.

The deals are haunting. Linebacker Deion Jones received a $57 million dollar extension in 2019 and has not played well in 2020 and has set a poor example with humdrum play.

Jones was entrusted to be the soul of the defense, but he was lackadaisical in coverage on a touchdown at Green Bay and just plain asleep on a touchdown Sunday in the loss to Carolina. The Falcons’ $14.3 million a year linebacker was in the middle of the field inside the end zone when the Panthers lined up for second down at the Atlanta 3-yard line. Quarterback Teddy Bridgewater faked to Davis and then Davis went into the right flat and caught an easy touchdown pass. Jones was flat-footed at the snap and started running to cover Davis while the ball was in the air.

Defensive end Dante Fowler, Jr., a pass rusher extraordinaire, seems to have lost those quarterback-hawking skills after getting a 3-year, $48 million deal this past offseason. When he tried to rush from the left side, away from the tight end, Fowler was handled one-on-one by Carolina right tackle Taylor Moton. Having All-Pro tackle Grady Jarrett push the pocket is not enough help.

There were hints in 2019 that injuries might be catching up to veteran wide receiver Julio Jones, but the Falcons still allowed themselves to be pressured into signing him to a contract extension (3 years, $66 million) when he still had two years left on his deal. Jones did not play for the second straight game because of injuries Sunday in a 23-16 loss to Carolina. Jones has played through injuries throughout his career, so to suddenly get sidelined has to be concerning.

PROMOTED

Civic Nation BRANDVOICE | Paid Program

YES I CAN: Where Young People Will Decide The 2020 Elections

Defensive end Takk McKinley, a first-round choice in 2017, has shown flashes of being an elite rusher, but injuries have stalled his development.

The young cornerbacks Kendall Sheffield (4th round, 2019) and A.J. Terrell (1st round, 2020) have been thrust into prime roles and are not ready. Tight end Hayden Hurst, acquired from Baltimore to replace All-Pro Austin Hooper, cannot get open. The Falcons have some players, like tight end, H-Back Luke Stocker, that you wonder why they are on the roster to begin with because they do not seem to contribute.

On Sunday, the area around Mercedes-Benz Stadium was desolate and grim, and not all because of Covid-19. The team that went to the 2016 season Super Bowl and made a strong showing in the 2017 season playoffs, has disintegrated. The crowd was announced at 6,656 because of pandemic restrictions, but you can bet the attendance will be bad into next season when things return to normal.

Now, do the Falcons, on top of everything else, have a quarterback problem? Matt Ryan has not looked elite this season and occasionally descends into harmful. In 2018, Ryan agreed to a five-year contract extension that will play him $30 million a year, $100 million of it guaranteed.

Sunday, with the Falcons trailing 20-13 and at the Carolina 5-yard line, Ryan threw an interception in the end zone. It wasn’t just a pick; Ryan threw a desperation ball right into the chest of safety Juston Burris.

“We didn’t really have anything there and not the time to just kind of lob one up,” Ryan said. “So that sucks. That’s part of it. It’s not fun but that’s part of playing sports. When you have the ball in your hand you’ve got to make decisions. I made the wrong one there, wrong play and it cost us. That was a tough one.”

Ryan is 16th in Quarterback Rating this season. Sunday he threw behind receivers, or threw over their heads.

On one play, the tight end Hurst got behind the defense in the end zone and Ryan threw it high, off the tight end’s hands. Earlier in the game, Hurst ran a route, sat down inside the zone, and Ryan tried to throw it just above the helmet of a defensive player standing between Ryan and Hurst. The pass was a puzzling attempt and tipped and incomplete.

The Falcons have a lot of money tied up in big deals for stars, like Ryan, Julio Jones, Deion Jones, and left tackle Jake Matthews, so not much in the way of salary cap space to fix a myriad of problems, especially on defense.

Even coaching staff moves have not panned out. Joe Whitt, Jr., a highly-regarded secondary coach, has not gotten his unit to play better through five weeks.

Cornerback Isaiah Oliver, who seemed to break through as a reliable cover guy in 2019, has gone backwards. He was embarrassed Sunday when Carolina wideout DJ Moore took four steps inside, turned and retraced his steps back outside, and took a pass from Bridgewater. Moore burned Oliver for a 57-yard score.

Quinn had the loyalty of his team with a culture of good will and inspiration. It got him a second chance in 2019 after a 1-7 start and 6-2 finish. The momentum from 2019 has not translated into wins and he is not going to get another chance to turn it around. In six seasons, Quinn’s record was 43-42.

4 hours ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

Matt's still only 35, that's not old for a QB. Is he more likely to be traded to a contender? Of course he is. At the same time, I didn't know the Jags were looking to make changes at OC, Matt could fit the next HC/OC's offense perfectly making the trade even more possible. The Jags and Dolphins are dumpster fires, there's no telling what they'll do. 

Dolphins have Tua.  Why would they trade for a QB?

2 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Cut Matt after June? Without getting assets but carrying dead money for 2 years?

It's an option that helps the cap going forward does it not? Unless I'm reading the website wrong or it's wrong it shows the cap increasing each year (from -23 to -9 this year) the dead cap is 23-18-7mil roughly the next 3 years. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's an option the new GM/HC have if they don't want to go forward with Ryan and get no offers. 

Just now, DirtyBird2 said:

It's an option that helps the cap going forward does it not? Unless I'm reading the website wrong or it's wrong it shows the cap increasing each year (from -23 to -9 this year) the dead cap is 23-18-7mil roughly the next 3 years. I'm not saying it's going to happen but it's an option the new GM/HC have if they don't want to go forward with Ryan and get no offers. 

They wouldn’t cut Ryan. No benefit. Cap space to sign?

We’ll eventually get a QB to learn under Matt before just straight cutting him. THAT would be plain stupid.

4 minutes ago, Vandy said:

But BRO we could SAVE money; eventually, while still paying Matt through 2022 JUST to get him off this TEAM...

What could actually happen is a restructure of Matt to lower his 2021 hit if the new regime wants to keep him at all. The Covid created cap limit next year makes any dead money more critical to avoid and managing large cap hits more important.

Edited by Ergo Proxy

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

They wouldn’t cut Ryan. No benefit. Cap space to sign?

We’ll eventually get a QB to learn under Matt before just straight cutting him. THAT would be plain stupid.

I'm clearly not understanding the website then. When I designate Ryan as a post June 1st cut (to clarify, that's AFTER this season, so 2021) it shows the cap space going from -23mil to -9mil. Is that not a quick fix at getting under the cap if we end up with a top pick and the HC wanting a QB? 

I'm also not arguing the fact that it should be done. I simply stated it could be done and the cap ramifications aren't as bad as some think. 

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

Whatever man, why not explain it? I never claimed to know anything about the cap and how it works. If I'm this wrong about it, there's clearly something I'm not getting. Maybe I'm reading it wrong (like I've also stated) but it shows the cap going from -27mil to -9mil. I don't understand how that's not a good thing?

1 hour ago, Ergo Proxy said:

But BRO we could SAVE money; eventually, while still paying Matt through 2022 JUST to get him off this TEAM...

What could actually happen is a restructure of Matt to lower his 2021 hit if the new regime wants to keep him at all. The Covid created cap limit next year makes any dead money more critical to avoid and managing large cap hits more important.

But that’s plain common sense, something especially uncommon in this thread.

Killer. :ninja:

8 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Whatever man, why not explain it? I never claimed to know anything about the cap and how it works. If I'm this wrong about it, there's clearly something I'm not getting. Maybe I'm reading it wrong (like I've also stated) but it shows the cap going from -27mil to -9mil. I don't understand how that's not a good thing?

Again...the only reason that’s so is because you aren’t paying Ryan (still a Top 10-15 NFL QB) his base salary. So yes, you reduced your cap $23M while also triggering the massive dead cap hit, while also minus a valuable player.

BTW...you also haven’t factored in what his replacement...the rookie QB ....and his contract will cost in cap space into your calculations. Have you seen what early 1st round QB‘s make these days?

Whst you’re proposing is financial suicide for next 2-3 years for the team. And insane.

38 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

I'm clearly not understanding the website then. When I designate Ryan as a post June 1st cut (to clarify, that's AFTER this season, so 2021) it shows the cap space going from -23mil to -9mil. Is that not a quick fix at getting under the cap if we end up with a top pick and the HC wanting a QB? 

I'm also not arguing the fact that it should be done. I simply stated it could be done and the cap ramifications aren't as bad as some think. 

Ok, I didn’t mean to come at you like that. Spreading the dead money as a post-6/1 pushes the cap issue to 2022 to some degree and doesn’t give you relief to be in compliance for the rule of Top 51 contracts prior to it with that kind of designation.

Long and short; you still have cap issues for a couple years and it’s not just Ryan. Covid has made things much more difficult due to much lower decreases yearly from massive revenue drop.

It would be strange to draft a QB and not have restructured Matt well before the 6/1 point simply because he likely needs a restructuring to begin the league year in March. Top 51 contracts and he has the biggest current cap hit. Can’t be helped by a 6/1 cut; which pushes some of the dead money to 2022 cap.

29 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Again...the only reason that’s so is because you aren’t paying Ryan (still a Top 10-15 NFL QB) his base salary. So yes, you reduced your cap $23M while also triggering the massive dead cap hit, while also minus a valuable player.

BTW...you also haven’t factored in what his replacement...the rookie QB ....and his contract will cost in cap space into your calculations. Have you seen what early 1st round QB‘s make these days?

Whst you’re proposing is financial suicide for next 2-3 years for the team. And insane.

I still don’t get why people completely assume a new regime sees no benefits to keeping Matt; including a scenario of when the heir is drafted. It’s best for a new guy to get a year under Ryan at minimum. And makes more cap sense given the dire circumstances there.

4 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

I still don’t get why people completely assume a new regime sees no benefits to keeping Matt; including a scenario of when the heir is drafted. It’s best for a new guy to get a year under Ryan at minimum. And makes more cap sense given the dire circumstances there.

Yup. I've said in a few other threads that no head coach or OC would want to walk into a situation where his only option is an unproven rookie qb, no matter how much potential that rookie qb might have.