Trade Matt and Julio

34 minutes ago, athell said:

So you think that a team who is collecting picks to reload via the draft and young, cheap talent is willing to unload those picks for an aging, expensive QB on the backend of his career while still having holes everywhere?

How far away they are isn't really subjective.  They are far.  The only teams it would make sense for to trade for Matt would be loaded teams who are just a QB away.  Niners, Bears.  Someone like that.  To the point, the Jags are in the business of collecting picks not trading them away.  Not to mention Jay Gruden will probably be up for some HC gigs so who knows who their next OC will be and Matt would even be a fit.  So many issues with this scenario.

At the end of the day, it's just a scenario where I picked two teams that have proven to be unpredictable and unstable. SF is going to start losing games (think they already have) after losing so many players to injury and teams starting to expose Jimmy G. The familiarity with Shanahan is also a reason why a trade with SF makes sense. So I'd welcome it. I don't care what team he's traded to, I just want him traded in exchange for a 1st round pick.

2 hours ago, Porkins said:

'nother couple of things and this one is probably just gonna need to be copied/pasted into the bajillions of future Trade Matt & Julio threads:

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones have a combined cap hit of 64 million in 2021 and 60 million in 2022.

Cutting or trading both Ryan and Jones will put us somewhere north of 100 million over the cap for 2021.

Trading Ryan would increase hit 2021 hit by 3.525, and trading Julio would increase his 2021 hit by 500k

1 hour ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

Matt's still only 35, that's not old for a QB. Is he more likely to be traded to a contender? Of course he is. At the same time, I didn't know the Jags were looking to make changes at OC, Matt could fit the next HC/OC's offense perfectly making the trade even more possible. The Jags and Dolphins are dumpster fires, there's no telling what they'll do. 

Then why do you want to get rid of him? That immediately kills this entire thread. Next thread please....

3 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Couple of things:

1. Why in the **** would the Jags trade the 6th overall pick to the Falcons for MR? Don't see it.
  2. JJ could get us a 1st rounder, but I think it would be from a contender, so the pick wouldn't be nearly as high.
  3. The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.

Yep, also if Matt goes to Jax, there's a good chance they could make it to the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Porkins said:

'nother couple of things and this one is probably just gonna need to be copied/pasted into the bajillions of future Trade Matt & Julio threads:

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones have a combined cap hit of 64 million in 2021 and 60 million in 2022.

Cutting or trading both Ryan and Jones will put us somewhere north of 100 million over the cap for 2021.

Yes and no. 

Designate MR as a post June 1st cut gives a hit of roughly 23mil in dead cap but we save 17 mil against the cap for next season. Its very doable. 

Just now, DirtyBird2 said:

Yes and no. 

Designate MR as a post June 1st cut gives a hit of roughly 23mil in dead cap but we save 17 mil against the cap for next season. Its very doable. 

LOL. No it’s not, unless you want to completely financially strap your team for next 2-3 seasons.

How old is Arthur?

Just now, Vandy said:

LOL. No it’s not, unless you want to completely financially strap your team for next 2-3 seasons.

How old is Arthur?

LOL yes it is. 

https://overthecap.com/calculator/atlanta-falcons/ try it yourself. I dont know how to add a file without it being too large or a table. Designate MR2 as a post June1 cut and see how "strapped" they become. 

13 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

No, please explain to me how a website that strictly deals with cap space for all major sports got it wrong. Did you even try the link?

Explain something you obviously don’t have a clue on? I’m not your secretary, but I do understand the cap. Releasing Ryan costs team $50M in cap space over 3 years. And doing that in a year when the overall team cap may very well decrease (due to pandemic) is financial suicide. 

4 hours ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Couple of things:

1. Why in the **** would the Jags trade the 6th overall pick to the Falcons for MR? Don't see it.
  2. JJ could get us a 1st rounder, but I think it would be from a contender, so the pick wouldn't be nearly as high.
  3. The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.
  1. ""The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.""  Money?  You can't be as dumb as you sound.  What alternative universe do you live in?  Money?  28-3.  How money was that that when he took an inexcusable sack on a drive when all we needed was a chipshot field goal.  He would've been better had he just audibled at the line and taken a knee for cripes sake.  Afterall he was the mvp, right?  Money?  How about the epic fail with the nfccg against San Fran when he couldn't get a friggin first down inside the fifteen when he absolutely needed it?  Money?  How about the playoff game against Philly with four chances inside the ten and couldn't even come close the getting it done. Those three scenarios perfectly sum up his career when it comes to money games.  Always close.  Never accomplished.  Sure, you'll tell me he's a hall of famer. Maybe so... But does that really make you feel better about the three golden opportunities that he squandered to win a super bowl and go down in Atlanta folklore as an immortal? 

2 hours ago, Ovie_Lover said:

We’re 0-5 why would anyone trade for a trash QB like that?

Idk maybe because their current QB has been worse 😂. On top of that, Matt Ryan is part of the reason not the only reason we're 0-5. Can't believe I had to explain this.

Edited by #1ATLFALCONSFAN

34 minutes ago, Vandy said:

Explain something you obviously don’t have a clue on? I’m not your secretary, but I do understand the cap. Releasing Ryan costs team $50M in cap space over 3 years. And doing that in a year when the overall team cap may very well decrease (due to pandemic) is financial suicide. 

🤣🤣🤣 I never claimed to understand the salary cap...

These are not my figures, these came from a reputable website (which I have already linked for you) . It's not up to me to show you what the website says, if you don't want to believe it without even checking it, that's on you. I also didn't say out right release him, did I? I clearly stated a post June 1 cut, and according to over the cap (again a reputable website) it gives the Falcons a roughly 24 mil dead cap but saves roughly 17mil against the cap. We go from -23mil to -9mil. Again, this is all in the link. 

42 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

Idk maybe because their current QB has been worse 😂. On top of that, Matt Ryan is part of the reason not the only reason we're 0-5. Can't believe I had to explain this.

So why would anyone want a 0-5 QB? Minshew was able to win with a worse team at least once. Ryan can’t even do that. Yet you think we could get a first for him from the Jags.

47 minutes ago, Vandy said:

So releasing Ryan as a June 1st cut next spring causes dead cap hits of $23 million in 2021 and $26 million in 2022.  Is $50 million less than the $82 million he will be payed if he stays on the team.  Everything comes down to ones personal belief as if you think Ryan can win the big one at this stage of his career.

14 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

🤣🤣🤣 I never claimed to understand the salary cap...

These are not my figures, these came from a reputable website (which I have already linked for you) . It's not up to me to show you what the website says, if you don't want to believe it without even checking it, that's on you. I also didn't say out right release him, did I? I clearly stated a post June 1 cut, and according to over the cap (again a reputable website) it gives the Falcons a roughly 24 mil dead cap but saves roughly 17mil against the cap. We go from -23mil to -9mil. Again, this is all in the link. 

Oh my.....that’s only because they won’t be paying his $23 M base salary....but they’re still stuck with the $50M dead cap. Which makes -0- financial sense.

SMH....