Trade Matt and Julio

“Matt’s been a franchise leader for us. A great quarterback. One of the leading quarterbacks in the last 13 years in the NFL. So I hope he’s gonna be part of our plans going forward. But that will be a decision that I won’t make — part of it will be up to the player and part of it will be up to the coaching staff. " - Arthur Blank

Although many fans don't want to admit it, Ryan's play is rapidly declining. He has the best oline he's had in recent memory, maybe ever. He has one of the best trio of WR's in the league, a solid former first round pick TE, and a healthy Todd Gurley who's shown he can be dynamic when he's gotten his touches. As a matter of fact, the entire offense is full of 1st rounders (with the exception of Gage) and he's looked average at best. His mechanics have been abysmal causing him to miss countless throws including 2 missed TD's to Hurst in the past 2 weeks alone.  Let's face it, outside of 2016 with Shanny as OC Matt's been a career stat padder. He's not a playmaker in the likes of Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. I'm not the guy who's blaming our 0-5 start entirely on Matt Ryan, but I also realize he's been a part of the problem. He still has at least 4 good years left (see Brees, Brady, Rivers), which is why now couldn't be a better time to get compensation for the future staff to work with. Yes, I'm all aboard the Trevor Lawrence train as you might have guessed. I won't crown the kid (to quote Dennis Green) but he's certainly looked like the best QB in college football for the past 3 years, even beating Fields in a matchup on the game's biggest stage (which is why I give the advantage to Lawrence). He's got the arm, football IQ, and athleticism to be a true playmaker at the next level. The latter of which is absolutely essential in today's NFL. However, I realize the real possibility we'll miss out on Lawrence given how teams like the Jets and Giants have somehow managed to be just as bad as us. It's for this very reason, that we should look to trade Ryan to a QB needy team in exchange for draft capital to move up in the draft if need be (since the Falcons are prime to go 11-0 in these situations). Lastly, for those that like to say "Matt's the best QB the franchise has ever had" my response would be "Does that speak more about the front office than Ryan?"

My avatar may give away my appreciation for Julio. I've been a huge fan since we drafted him back in 2011. I remember being much younger at the time and thinking we were Super Bowl bound for getting him 😂. I'll even admit that I'm as biased as they come when it comes to #11. He can make the biggest mistakes and I'll always come back with the excuses. So it pains me to say, that it's time to move on. His best years are behind him and the Super Bowl window has closed. 2016 was a long time ago and we're officially in rebuilding mode as we try to clean up the mess Quinn made. You don't think so? We have a DE who can't stay healthy and who's 5th year option we declined, a below average FS who's really a CB (conversion gone wrong), a total bust at CB, a SS who hasn't been able to stay healthy (fingers crossed), an underperforming DE we picked up in FA who's on pace for 4 sacks on the season, an average NT who's been playing poor so far, and an unproven rookie CB. Dealing Julio would net us at least 1 first round pick and probably a mid-rounder which would go a long way in addressing these holes. Also, the emergence of Ridley as a true #1 receiver is another reason this trade should happen. Ridley had been torching opponents all season except vs GB where had it not been for 2 poor throws from Ryan the storyline would've been completely different. Also, if there's any position I have confidence in the scouting team to find, it's a WR. We've been good in that department for a very long time. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and call it a day. 

The Falcons end up with 2 extra 1st round picks and a few mid-rounders for their new coaching staff on a roster that's already loaded with talent, especially on offense.

2021 NFL Draft

2nd Overall Pick - Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

6th Overall Pick via Jags (Matt) - Gregory Roussaeu, DE Miami 

9th Overall Pick via Dolphins (JJ) - Patrick Surtain II, CB Alabama

2nd and 3rd rounders - FS, WR (BPA)

The Falcons continue to play like they've been and they'll get the 1st or 2nd overall pick. Not saying it will or will not happen knowing their history, but as it stands now that's where they'll be picking. Minshew Mania ends in Jacksonville and they realize they need a proven QB - insert Matt. The Falcons take Roussaeu out of Miami who although he's the top defender on the big board right now, we all know a lot can change by April. The Falcons find a trade partner in the Dolphins to give their future QB in Tua a reliable option to throw to for the next few years. The Falcons select Patrick Surtain II to immediately replace Oliver. Shawn Wade is also an option here. Big, physical corner out of Ohio St who seems to be making CB's in a lab up in Columbus (Lattimore, Ward, Okudah).

Edited by #1ATLFALCONSFAN

Couple of things:

1. Why in the **** would the Jags trade the 6th overall pick to the Falcons for MR? Don't see it.
  2. JJ could get us a 1st rounder, but I think it would be from a contender, so the pick wouldn't be nearly as high.
  3. The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.

'nother couple of things and this one is probably just gonna need to be copied/pasted into the bajillions of future Trade Matt & Julio threads:

Matt Ryan and Julio Jones have a combined cap hit of 64 million in 2021 and 60 million in 2022.

Cutting or trading both Ryan and Jones will put us somewhere north of 100 million over the cap for 2021.

3 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Couple of things:

1. Why in the **** would the Jags trade the 6th overall pick to the Falcons for MR? Don't see it.
  2. JJ could get us a 1st rounder, but I think it would be from a contender, so the pick wouldn't be nearly as high.
  3. The stat padding BS. MR has been much more than that in his career. Until this year, the guy was money when the game was on the line. This narrative is tired, untrue, and completely stupid.

1. Why not? You clearly think highly of him and they need a QB. Minshew isn't cutting it.

2. The pick may be a bit high for JJ, but the Dolphins are also the same team that traded their franchise LT to Houston.

3. There are rumors of MR being on the trading block for a reason. The owner himself didn't sound so confident in Ryan and please don't think for a second he doesn't have the power to ensure Matt is the QB of the future if he wanted to. Money when the game was on the line until this year? lol. Where have you been for the past 2 seasons??

I did not read, came straight to this comment box, but let me guess. It's possibly 1 or all of these things.

・We're getting a stupidly high pick for Ryan and Julio each in this scenario. I'll double down and say a 1st for each.

・"Matt Ryan is/has been the problem"

・"Just eat the cap"

Don't suppose we can just merge these kinda threads? We've beaten this dead horse long enough.

My God, thanks for posting.  

I love the Falcons win or lose, thick or thin since 1972 or as far back as I remember caring about football and playing bobblehead Pop Warner at Murphy Chandler park.  

But yeah, I agree.  Anybody who has watched the Falcons trajectory in the last 40 games +/- has seen a slow and steady decline in speed, accuracy and a (hard to admit) fall in decision making.  I've read and heard so many fans and analysts saying that they aren't surprised he looks like he is playing scared.  But no, the O line is not bad.  He has all day, most days.  Even Kahlil Mack earned 1/2 sack against our O line.  So y'all please drop the "it's the O line's fault".  

We are 0-5 for a lot of reasons.  But the on-field leader is still one of those reasons, no matter how much we love him or our team as fans.  With statistically 2 of the best WRs in the NFL today there's not a lot of validity to blame coaching or defense or a mysterious lack of a secondary for our QB hitting near 50% against a couple weak defenses that he's faced this year.  I know he's not Mahomes.  But since he's not, why the fanboy devotion to compare him to Rodgers, Brady or Brees?  If we're going to win games in the air Ryan's arm this year isn't going to get us there.  I'm not saying anything we don't all know.  I get that we can't economically drop our dishes but I hope AB and our next GM (whoever?) will be thinking about the future and draft a successor.  

Ryan is a hero to the city and the fans.  But it's a Hollywood dream to think he'll see another playoff.  

23 minutes ago, Boise Falcon Fan said:

Couple of things:

Matt Ryan was a good QB but his not worth that contract. That’s why we so sorry because his eating up so much salary cap we can’t get no good players on defense.

Oh good another Ryan and Julio thread.

Ryan's play is rapidly declining so we should trade a first for him?  There's a reasonable take of I've ever heard one.

Personally, I'm not jumping to any conclusions based on how a team looked when they had given up on their coach. (One who shouldn't have been back in the first place)

I'm more curious about who we hire and how the new regime chooses to build/rebuild.

IMO, I'd rather have a young nucleus already built before making any drastic moves like trading up for a qb.  The franchise QB's rookie contract is truly a precious thing in the NFL today. Need to be prepared to maximize it, which we aren't.

42 minutes ago, izibit74 said:

Julio is a falcon for life fuuugetaboutit. Draft fields. Hire bienemy

Or you could say...

Ryan is a Falcon for life fuuugetaboutit. Draft Chase. Hire bienemy.

At this point I feel like those two are tied at the hip. We likely keep both, but if one goes you have to think they could both go.

it’s gonna be an interesting offseason for sure...been a while since I was so excited (and clueless) about the direction of our offseason.

1 hour ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

“Matt’s been a franchise leader for us. A great quarterback. One of the leading quarterbacks in the last 13 years in the NFL. So I hope he’s gonna be part of our plans going forward. But that will be a decision that I won’t make — part of it will be up to the player and part of it will be up to the coaching staff. " - Arthur Blank

Although many fans don't want to admit it, Ryan's play is rapidly declining. He has the best oline he's had in recent memory, maybe ever. He has one of the best trio of WR's in the league, a solid former first round pick TE, and a healthy Todd Gurley who's shown he can be dynamic when he's gotten his touches. As a matter of fact, the entire offense is full of 1st rounders (with the exception of Gage) and he's looked average at best. His mechanics have been abysmal causing him to miss countless throws including 2 missed TD's to Hurst in the past 2 weeks alone.  Let's face it, outside of 2016 with Shanny as OC Matt's been a career stat padder. He's not a playmaker in the likes of Mahomes, Brady, Rodgers, Wilson, etc. I'm not the guy who's blaming our 0-5 start entirely on Matt Ryan, but I also realize he's been a part of the problem. He still has at least 4 good years left (see Brees, Brady, Rivers), which is why now couldn't be a better time to get compensation for the future staff to work with. Yes, I'm all aboard the Trevor Lawrence train as you might have guessed. I won't crown the kid (to quote Dennis Green) but he's certainly looked like the best QB in college football for the past 3 years, even beating Fields in a matchup on the game's biggest stage (which is why I give the advantage to Lawrence). He's got the arm, football IQ, and athleticism to be a true playmaker at the next level. The latter of which is absolutely essential in today's NFL. However, I realize the real possibility we'll miss out on Lawrence given how teams like the Jets and Giants have somehow managed to be just as bad as us. It's for this very reason, that we should look to trade Ryan to a QB needy team in exchange for draft capital to move up in the draft if need be (since the Falcons are prime to go 11-0 in these situations). Lastly, for those that like to say "Matt's the best QB the franchise has ever had" my response would be "Does that speak more about the front office than Ryan?"

My avatar may give away my appreciation for Julio. I've been a huge fan since we drafted him back in 2011. I remember being much younger at the time and thinking we were Super Bowl bound for getting him 😂. I'll even admit that I'm as biased as they come when it comes to #11. He can make the biggest mistakes and I'll always come back with the excuses. So it pains me to say, that it's time to move on. His best years are behind him and the Super Bowl window has closed. 2016 was a long time ago and we're officially in rebuilding mode as we try to clean up the mess Quinn made. You don't think so? We have a DE who can't stay healthy and who's 5th year option we declined, a below average FS who's really a CB (conversion gone wrong), a total bust at CB, a SS who hasn't been able to stay healthy (fingers crossed), an underperforming DE we picked up in FA who's on pace for 4 sacks on the season, an average NT who's been playing poor so far, and an unproven rookie CB. Dealing Julio would net us at least 1 first round pick and probably a mid-rounder which would go a long way in addressing these holes. Also, the emergence of Ridley as a true #1 receiver is another reason this trade should happen. Ridley had been torching opponents all season except vs GB where had it not been for 2 poor throws from Ryan the storyline would've been completely different. Also, if there's any position I have confidence in the scouting team to find, it's a WR. We've been good in that department for a very long time. Draft a guy in the 2nd or 3rd round and call it a day. 

The Falcons end up with 2 extra 1st round picks and a few mid-rounders for their new coaching staff on a roster that's already loaded with talent, especially on offense.

2021 NFL Draft

2nd Overall Pick - Trevor Lawrence, QB Clemson

6th Overall Pick via Jags (Matt) - Gregory Roussaeu, DE Miami 

9th Overall Pick via Dolphins (JJ) - Patrick Surtain II, CB Alabama

2nd and 3rd rounders - FS, WR (BPA)

The Falcons continue to play like they've been and they'll get the 1st or 2nd overall pick. Not saying it will or will not happen knowing their history, but as it stands now that's where they'll be picking. Minshew Mania ends in Jacksonville and they realize they need a proven QB - insert Matt. The Falcons take Roussaeu out of Miami who although he's the top defender on the big board right now, we all know a lot can change by April. The Falcons find a trade partner in the Dolphins to give their future QB in Tua a reliable option to throw to for the next few years. The Falcons select Patrick Surtain II to immediately replace Oliver. Shawn Wade is also an option here. Big, physical corner out of Ohio St who seems to be making CB's in a lab up in Columbus (Lattimore, Ward, Okudah).

no 

7 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

The Jags would never trade Ramsey...traded.

The Jags would never trade Calais Campbell...traded.

The Jags would never trade Fournette...traded.

The Jags would never trade Bouye...traded.

The Jags would never trade (insert player)...traded.

Uhh out of all those players the only one people would have said that about is Ramsey and he forced his hand to get out of Jacksonville. lol. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

8 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

The Jags would never trade Ramsey...traded.

The Jags would never trade Calais Campbell...traded.

The Jags would never trade Fournette...traded.

The Jags would never trade Bouye...traded.

The Jags would never trade (insert player)...traded.

How many players have they traded FOR?  That's your huge issue.  It makes no sense.  They aren't a QB away from being a contender.  Not even close.

1 minute ago, athell said:

How many players have they traded FOR?  That's your huge issue.  It makes no sense.  They aren't a QB away from being a contender.  Not even close.

They've been collecting 1st round draft picks for the past two years. They may be looking to acquire a veteran QB. It wouldn't be the first time. How far away they are is subjective. They have to get a QB sooner or later. Why not get a proven, former MVP QB? 

Just now, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

They've been collecting 1st round draft picks for the past two years. They may be looking to acquire a veteran QB. It wouldn't be the first time. How far away they are is subjective. They have to get a QB sooner or later. Why not get a proven, former MVP QB? 

So you think that a team who is collecting picks to reload via the draft and young, cheap talent is willing to unload those picks for an aging, expensive QB on the backend of his career while still having holes everywhere?

How far away they are isn't really subjective.  They are far.  The only teams it would make sense for to trade for Matt would be loaded teams who are just a QB away.  Niners, Bears.  Someone like that.  To the point, the Jags are in the business of collecting picks not trading them away.  Not to mention Jay Gruden will probably be up for some HC gigs so who knows who their next OC will be and Matt would even be a fit.  So many issues with this scenario.

16 minutes ago, athell said:

So you think that a team who is collecting picks to reload via the draft and young, cheap talent is willing to unload those picks for an aging, expensive QB on the backend of his career while still having holes everywhere?

How far away they are isn't really subjective.  They are far.  The only teams it would make sense for to trade for Matt would be loaded teams who are just a QB away.  Niners, Bears.  Someone like that.  To the point, the Jags are in the business of collecting picks not trading them away.  Not to mention Jay Gruden will probably be up for some HC gigs so who knows who their next OC will be and Matt would even be a fit.  So many issues with this scenario.

Matt's still only 35, that's not old for a QB. Is he more likely to be traded to a contender? Of course he is. At the same time, I didn't know the Jags were looking to make changes at OC, Matt could fit the next HC/OC's offense perfectly making the trade even more possible. The Jags and Dolphins are dumpster fires, there's no telling what they'll do. 

Edited by #1ATLFALCONSFAN

22 minutes ago, #1ATLFALCONSFAN said:

Matt's still only 35, that's not old for a QB. Is he more likely to be traded to a contender? Of course he is. At the same time, I didn't know the Jags were looking to make changes at OC, Matt could fit the next HC/OC's offense perfectly making the trade even more possible. The Jags and Dolphins are dumpster fires, there's no telling what they'll do. 

The Jags, yes.  The Dophins not so much, they are at least trending in the right direction.  As for no telling what they'll do, you are right I suppose but I would highly doubt a franchise in such disarray as the Jags are going to send multiple firsts for Matt Ryan.  Dead cap issue aside, that would be highway robbery on our part.