Blank wants a leader of men for the next coach

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quinn was high-fiving guys running off the field who just effed up. That's why we sucked, no accountability. He's not their baby sitter, he is supposed to make them do their job.  Buddies are for fish

I will pass. He cant even get kids 22 and younger to play for him.

Call the new HC whatever you want to (leader of men, players coach, hardass, X'es and O's guy), but until we get someone who knows how to adapt to in game situations, who never stops trying to exploit

I love Singletary but glad he didn’t come here. He reminds me of “Terry Tate Office Linebacker”. If we could hire him for that role I would like it lol. 

I want someone who is ready, willing and FULLY able to outcoach the coach for the opposing team. You cannot overcome bad coaching. But great coaching can seriously upgrade overall team play. 

I want use to develop a system here in ATL. That's why I don't want anothwr defensive minded coach. Outside of Belichick they aren't imaginative. Their OC gets hot and leaves for a HC job. Never fails. Matt has had several OC leave and gets jobs. All these so called defensive guru's and Matt has only had a top 10 D once in his career.

“Leader of men”

How about being so good at your job that everyone on the team respects you.  How about clearly delineating everyone's jobs and responsibilities.  How about holding everyone accountable for every single detail.  How about preparing so well for every game that opponents can not surprise you.  How about getting every player ready to step onto the field and performing in sync with the rest of the team.

Forget the “leadership” jargon and hire a serious man that knows what he is doing. 

2 minutes ago, etherdome said:

“Leader of men”

How about being so good at your job that everyone on the team respects you.  How about clearly delineating everyone's jobs and responsibilities.  How about holding everyone accountable for every single detail.  How about preparing so well for every game that opponents can not surprise you.  How about getting every player ready to step onto the field and performing in sync with the rest of the team.

Forget the “leadership” jargon and hire a serious man that knows what he is doing. 

Jesus. Thank you! I thought I would be the only person irritated by the “leader of men” jargon. So far there have been a few people. Lol

17 minutes ago, etherdome said:

“Leader of men”

Kirby Smart perhaps?

1 hour ago, lju713 said:

I hated seeing that dump ****. That use to piss me off. Im like why hi five Oliver after he just got toasted???? Or tell them its ok after a drive killing or drive extending penalty????

Exactly thats what your teammates are for but the coach is supposed to hold you to the standard he set!
I guess that was our standard huh

1 hour ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yep, I wanted a HC who grabbed them coming off the field and shake some sense into them. Compliment them when they make the play, not when they didn't. 

LMAO.  Brings back memories of what a HC did to me.

I was the backup RB in High School.  The lead RB ran the ball.  I blocked and ran look-ins.  If you ever want to take abuse from LBs, run look-ins.  My job was to hit whoever ran into the backfield, run between tackles, turn my head to the QB and run a diagonal across the middle of the field.  One game, this LB was more focused on hitting me than playing the game.  He had hit me several times with my head turned back to the QB.  The last time, he stood over me laughing.  That was it.  I stood on the sidelines steaming.  I could not wait to run that play again.  Finally, I got my chance.  I chipped someone near the line and ran my route.  Initially I turned my head back to the QB, then, I turned back to find that #$^%$ LB.  There he was.  I turned on the power and got lower than him.  As I hit him, I noticed two things.  First, the shock on his face was a thing of beauty.  The second thing I noticed was this donk sound on my helmet and the feel of a football bouncing off me.  My moment of glory was short lived.  I looked at the QB who with several lineman were glaring at me.  I looked at the sideline.  The HC was glaring and doing the finger curl that says "Come to me".  I started jogging to the sideline.  I noticed how red faced the HC was.  I turned right and started for the corner.  The HC ran down the sideline.  I turned left and started for the other corner.  The HC was tracking me.  Wherever I ran, he was going to greet me.  He was about 5'8" and 250 pounds.  That was big in the '60s.  When we met, he grabbed me under the shoulder pads, lifted me, and asked, "What is your job on a look-in?"  This question was repeated several times as he shook me as hard as he could. 

When it was over, I knew without any doubt he demanded I do my job.  At least it was over, right?  Nope.  Monday morning at school, the students were pointing at me and laughing.  Finally, some kid approached.  He asked, "Are you that guy the coach beat the sheet out of on the sideline?".  Well, that was it.  It was finally over, right?  Nope.  I did not play the next week-end.  I was admonished by coaches all week. 

I think of Coach Hathorn fondly.  I respected him.  I often wonder if he is where I got some of my work ethic that served me well.  Thanks Coach.

2 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Quinn was high-fiving guys running off the field who just effed up. That's why we sucked, no accountability. He's not their baby sitter, he is supposed to make them do their job.  Buddies are for fishing, not NFL HCing. 

That is exactly what I said. Why are you high fiving these guys right now what are you watching? It was like Jim Mora 2.0 WTH

The whole leader of men thing is great and all, but players want to win/succeed. They want to be put in positions where they can be successful. You can be the best leader in the world, but if your team doesn't believe in you then things will quickly fall apart. Dan Quinn is a great example. He seems like he has a lot of great leadership qualities but the team stopped believing in his abilities as a coach. You watch us play this year and it feels like no one has bought into what we are trying to do.

Most people do not like Belichek as a person, but they believe in his coaching abilities and know he is going to put them in a position to succeed. 

Just a thought, how do you hold grown men that you're paying millions of dollars a year (guaranteed) accountable? If they ride the bench, your money goes for nothing. If you continue to play them and they show no incentive to correct their mistakes, your money is going for nothing. It's a ****ed if you do or don't situation. No man alive can motivate another man without defined consequences. Players need to be held accountable and this may begin with discipline, but culminates in the wallet. Sorry, but i have little sympathy for people who make more in 1 year than I would in 200. They should put every effort to excel in aspect for the company signing their paycheck. Not a rant on nfl players cause I also believe in free enterprise in which they deserve anything that someone is willing to pay them. But through guarantees and dead space there is no incentive for performance until the contract year and no consequences for poor performance.

I also agree that you can't  have a buddy coach. Just like in normal business your supervisor can't be your buddy. I would love to be able to see a coach grab a facemask and shake some sense into a player. But, those days are gone with unions and such. A coach cannot play on the field, it isn't peewee football.

4 hours ago, lju713 said:

I don't wanna hear 'the he is not a playcaller" bs. Several coaches had 0-1 year experience and got jobs(Zac Taylor,LaFluer). Several former Cheif players have said he makes you ACCOUNTABLE. If you fumble,miss a block,run the wrong route,and commit penalties you know about it.

Quinn ALWAYS came off to me as a guy who was toooo buddy buddy with the players. Im not saying be General Patton on the sidelines, but he wasn't assertive. I believe Brian Cox, Richard Smith,Manuel were canned, and Mularkey retired due to this. If you challenged him, you were removed.

I see alot of McDaniels,Daboll,Roman,Brady,and Riley references and that's fine. They all are offensive minds, but the thing Bieniemy has over them all is longevity and consistency. He's been with Andy his whole coaching career, except the years he was in Minny with Childress, who is a Reid disciple. 

McDaniels has spent alot of time Belichick, but I don't think he is close to Bill or apart of the daily operations,like EB is/was with Andy. He's been groomed to be a HC and now its time. The track record speaks for it self.

I judge coaches, especially offensive coaches off the development and production of the players. He has coached and helped develop good backs in the past,and with KC. Installs the gameplan with Mahomes,and watch the results on Sundays. I think this is the man for the job Atlanta.

the mcdaniels most are talking about wanting is Mike, who is on shanahans staff, not the clown who took the colts then said 'nah, nevermind' after most of his staff had quit other jobs and were in place

28 minutes ago, etherdome said:

I see him mentioned a lot.  I don’t know much about him because I don’t watch much TV.

Why would Riddick make a good GM?

He has as much if not more experience than the others mentioned, he was an amazing scout and exec, he gets it when it comes to talent and skills, he has a dog mentality, he was a leader when he played and still is, he offends the sensitive because hes candid.

38 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

He has as much if not more experience than the others mentioned, he was an amazing scout and exec, he gets it when it comes to talent and skills, he has a dog mentality, he was a leader when he played and still is, he offends the sensitive because hes candid.

Had no idea about him. If the reporter that changed his name to Lombardi can get a GM job with Cleveland Browns, I hope Riddick can get a shot somewhere. Mike Mayock also got the GM job with the raiders. Until there is enough diversity amongst the team owners, the Rooney Rule can only help so much. 

9 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Oh god not this tired old troupe. The last time the term “Leader of Men” was thrown around here, it was in regards to Mike Singletary as Head Coach. A coach that MANY posters wanted. 

You know? The dude that dropped his pants in front of his team during halftime of a game.

We REALLY need to not stop throwing around tired troupes. They never end well. 

We do need a leader of men. Singletary wasn’t a leader of men. He was an authoritarian. A dictator. It’s not just a troupe in the right context. Andy Reid is a leader of men. BB, chunky, Tomlinson etc...Walsh in the past, Shula, Tuna, Landry etc...That is the type coach blank is talking about. The guy that players will run thru a wall for without being pals with his players. 

58 minutes ago, ShadyRef said:

Had no idea about him. If the reporter that changed his name to Lombardi can get a GM job with Cleveland Browns, I hope Riddick can get a shot somewhere. Mike Mayock also got the GM job with the raiders. Until there is enough diversity amongst the team owners, the Rooney Rule can only help so much. 

Hes really that good