Haven’t seen this man mentioned for GM...

Former Texans General Manager:

Rick Smith

1st Round Picks by Year

2006: Mario Williams

2007: Amobi Okoye

2008: Duane Brown

2009: Brian Cushing

2010: Kareem Jackson

2011: JJ Watt

2012: Whitney Mercilus

2013: DeAndre Hopkins

2014: Jadeveon Clowney

2015: Kevin Johnson

2016: Will Fuller

2017: Deshaun Watson

Not too many first rounds busts. Plus a group of really good players selected in the middle rounds  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history

8 minutes ago, Snafu said:

He hit in the 1st round for the most part, but why were his teams always middle of the pack? 

Honestly. Don’t know.

His coaches were:

Gary Kubiak (who many on this board cover),

Wade Philips (3 games after Kubiak’s stroke)

Bill O’Brien (Who absolutely destroyed his roster)

Seems like coaching issues were always the issue. Not to mention Bill O’Brien seized power during Smith’s time taking care of his wife who had cancer. 

Rick Smith would be an interesting candidate.  His biggest failure was not addressing the QB position after Schaub went into steep decline, but the Texans always had a talented roster on his watch.  He definitely deserves consideration if he's looking to get back in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Knight of God said:

Because that's the only round he hit in for the most part

He has nailed some mid round picks too. Say what you want, but compare the first rounders in the same time period to TD’s. He also knows how to build a defense. Not to mention he found a franchise QB & WR. Coaching was their main issue. Both Kubiak and O’Brien underperformed. 

35 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

He has nailed some mid round picks too. Say what you want, but compare the first rounders in the same time period to TD’s. He also knows how to build a defense. Not to mention he found a franchise QB & WR. Coaching was their main issue. Both Kubiak and O’Brien underperformed. 

No

4 minutes ago, Knight of God said:

McKinney wasn't good. 

McKinney was good in 2018. He’s still grading pretty high as a run defender if I’m not mistaken. Take him off the list and you still have him as a solid contributor. Over the last two years O’Brien has dismantled the Texans piece by piece. They have the talent, they just need a coach. 

9 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

McKinney was good in 2018. He’s still grading pretty high as a run defender if I’m not mistaken. Take him off the list and you still have him as a solid contributor. Over the last two years O’Brien has dismantled the Texans piece by piece. They have the talent, they just need a coach. 

Why haven't they done as well as we have?

17 hours ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Former Texans General Manager:

Rick Smith

1st Round Picks by Year

2006: Mario Williams

2007: Amobi Okoye

2008: Duane Brown

2009: Brian Cushing

2010: Kareem Jackson

2011: JJ Watt

2012: Whitney Mercilus

2013: DeAndre Hopkins

2014: Jadeveon Clowney

2015: Kevin Johnson

2016: Will Fuller

2017: Deshaun Watson

Not too many first rounds busts. Plus a group of really good players selected in the middle rounds  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Houston_Texans_draft_history

I see him going back to Houston, personally. I'd be surprised if he doesn't. 

On 10/17/2020 at 1:11 AM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Demeco Ryans, Owen Daniels, Brandon Brooks, Benardrick McKinney, and Zach Martin. Plus a few solid contributors. Proof is there.

You really went back to 2006!....I personally look outside the first and second round picks to judge GMs. He has a few gems but a ton of misses!!!

5 minutes ago, SipDirtyBird84 said:

You really went back to 2006!....I personally look outside the first and second round picks to judge GMs. He has a few gems but a ton of misses!!!

Dude those are the people he drafted in his career. You asked, and I showed you. Moving the goal post doesn’t paint you in a good light. Makes it seem like you have an agenda. Every GM has misses. Rick Smith does know how to put together a team. Not every pick is going to be a gem. That’s the nature of the beast. 

3 minutes ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Dude those are the people he drafted in his career. You asked, and I showed you. Moving the goal post doesn’t paint you in a good light. Makes it seem like you have an agenda. Every GM has misses. Rick Smith does know how to put together a team. Not every pick is going to be a gem. That’s the nature of the beast. 

True but you like to see recent successes and him hit in the later rounds. I guess we will agree to disagree.