Falcons ESPN reporter Vaughn McClure dies

18 minutes ago, jidady said:

On top of this tragic death, I've read a couple of great posters here going through similar losses.

I just want to say that I know this pandemic has been draining on everyone. No matter how much we argue here, this board has been terrific for 20 years. If anybody gets down and needs a laugh, just say so. We'll do what we can to entertain you.

I can say a LOT of nasty things about the Saints whenever you need it.

This year is truly insane. I have a friend who, in the last 2 months, his youngest son who was in his 20s, was shot and killed; a month later his mother and father-in-law were killed in a head on collision, and he just found out that his dad has cancer and isn't going to try chemo.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just saw on ESPN he passed today 

Right here. And it’s handled 

25 minutes ago, kschreck said:

This year is truly insane. I have a friend who, in the last 2 months, his youngest son who was in his 20s, was shot and killed; a month later his mother and father-in-law were killed in a head on collision, and he just found out that his dad has cancer and isn't going to try chemo.

I have no words for that. It's beyond the pale. That's an incomprehensible level of anguish.

I don't post much but had to share my Vaughn story...

I was on a business dinner in February and during dinner one of the consultants mentioned Vaughn and how they were close friends.  Evidently they went to college together.  Nobody at the table really knew who he was but me being a Falcons fan, I immediately said I love Vaughn and read his stuff all the time and how I followed him on Twitter.  The consultant pulls out his cell phone and calls Vaughn right there at the table.  Next thing I know he's telling Vaughn he is having dinner with a fan of his work and hands me the phone.  I had a 15 minute conversation with Vaughn that night and it was like he's known me his whole life.  Very personable and talked like he was one of the guys.  We talked a lot about the upcoming season and whether or not Quinn should of kept his job (Vaughn wasn't sure that was the right decision).  At the time he was following a lead that the Falcons were showing interest in Jason Pierre-Paul.  Obviously that didn't pan out but was interesting to hear his take.  I also was asking a lot of questions about the new uniforms and if he had seen them.  At the time he had not and said the Falcons organization was extremely "tight lipped" about them.

Vaughn was extremely nice to me on the phone that day and I walked away even more of a fan.  He will be missed!  RIP Vaughn!!

14 minutes ago, RDU_Falcon said:

I don't post much but had to share my Vaughn story...

I was on a business dinner in February and during dinner one of the consultants mentioned Vaughn and how they were close friends.  Evidently they went to college together.  Nobody at the table really knew who he was but me being a Falcons fan, I immediately said I love Vaughn and read his stuff all the time and how I followed him on Twitter.  The consultant pulls out his cell phone and calls Vaughn right there at the table.  Next thing I know he's telling Vaughn he is having dinner with a fan of his work and hands me the phone.  I had a 15 minute conversation with Vaughn that night and it was like he's known me his whole life.  Very personable and talked like he was one of the guys.  We talked a lot about the upcoming season and whether or not Quinn should of kept his job (Vaughn wasn't sure that was the right decision).  At the time he was following a lead that the Falcons were showing interest in Jason Pierre-Paul.  Obviously that didn't pan out but was interesting to hear his take.  I also was asking a lot of questions about the new uniforms and if he had seen them.  At the time he had not and said the Falcons organization was extremely "tight lipped" about them.

Vaughn was extremely nice to me on the phone that day and I walked away even more of a fan.  He will be missed!  RIP Vaughn!!

Great story, man. Thanks for sharing that. By all the accounts I've seen, it seems like Vaughn was a very friendly guy who was super down to Earth & easy to talk to.

Also, nice to see a fellow Falcon fan based in the Triangle.

5 hours ago, Bunchy Carter said:

If you say so. I call it being fake. To each their own. 

Such a strange take, I've definitely been critical of people's work before and I can definitely say I would never had wanted any of them to die.  **** I've been robbed at gunpoint and I don't wish death on those two either.  

Kind of concerning that you find this to be a rational thought process.

21 hours ago, jidady said:

He was the best Falcons reporter I've ever seen. This is terrible news in a godawful year.

About my first thought as well. He was an excellent beat writer. Fair, with a knack for words, and he didn't put himself or his opinions in the story. I'm going to miss him. Prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.

5 hours ago, Malachore said:

Sad to hear, I admittedly am not going to read 6 pages but has anyone heard what happened?

Well somebody said he was doing interviews the day before. Someone else posted an Instagram by him saying he was depressed over haveing lost his sis, mother and dad. They've been so quiet about the cause I'm thinking it could be suicide. Other than that a heart attack since it was so sudden.

From an article: McClure's last Instagram post detailed his battle with depression following the deaths of his parents, brother and sister 

9 hours ago, kschreck said:

Such a strange take, I've definitely been critical of people's work before and I can definitely say I would never had wanted any of them to die.  **** I've been robbed at gunpoint and I don't wish death on those two either.  

Kind of concerning that you find this to be a rational thought process.

The "concerning" part for me is when you imagined yourself as positioned to determine whether or not my thought process is rational.

On what authority?