Mack Plus Takk to Seattle in 3-way trade: ESPN Trade Deadline Speculation

falcndave

Article Link

Falcons, Ravens and Seahawks complete a three-way trade

Seattle Seahawks get: C Alex Mack, DE Takkarist McKinley (from Falcons)
Atlanta Falcons get: C B.J. Finney, 2021 sixth-round pick (from Seahawks), 2021 seventh-round pick (from Ravens)
Baltimore Ravens get: TE Jacob Hollister

Always good to mix a three-team trade into the picture. The 0-5 Falcons are out of the playoff picture, and while they're not going to rebuild, I don't think either Mack or McKinley figure into their future. Mack is 34 and in the final year of a five-year, $45 million deal, while McKinley is in the last year of his rookie deal after having his fifth-year option declined. The cap-strapped Falcons will likely be moving on from both Mack and McKinley after the season, giving them some motivation to make a move now.

The Seahawks, on the other hand, are candidates for the top spot in the NFC after starting 5-0. Ethan Pocic has impressed at center after an inconsistent start to his career, but Mack would give the Seahawks a top-tier pivot as they try to win a Super Bowl. Pocic would move back into a utility lineman role, and the Seahawks would move on from Finney, who didn't impress in camp after signing as a free agent and hasn't played an offensive snap so far this season. Finney would be a low-cost option for the Falcons at center in 2020.

Seattle badly needs bodies along the defensive line; McKinley has struggled with a groin injury this season, but he racked up a sack and six knockdowns of Russell Wilson during the opening-week loss to these very Seahawks. We're not likely to see a star edge rusher come available at the trade deadline, so the Seahawks will probably look to add multiple players up front and try to win with depth.

For the Seahawks, moving on from Hollister is more about cap space than anything else, given that the 2019 contributor has played just 48 offensive snaps this season and has a cap hold of $3.3 million. The Ravens have disappointed a bit on offense this season, and while trading away Hayden Hurst probably wasn't the difference between what we've seen in 2020 and what we saw in 2019, they are down to two tight ends in Mark Andrews and Nick Boyle. Hollister would fill the Hurst role from a year ago and give Baltimore some insurance if Andrews gets banged up in an expanded role. Baltimore would need to free up some short-term cap space to get the deal done.

2 minutes ago, Dr Long Shot said:

It's not a terrible trade, but do three team trades even happen in the NFL? Seems incredibly unlikely to me. 

Nope...not that I can remember. It certainly isn't common. I think the conversation is if Takk and Mack should be "available." I don't understand cap things. I don't know if it is better to trade them this season or just walk away. If that doesn't make a difference, it seems like any draft pick you could get would be a positive for those who live in "camp rebuild" or "camp tank." 

Just now, athell said:

No reason to settle for a 6th and 7th for one of the best centers of all time and a young, up and coming edge when everyone is looking for one.

I'm not against trading them but that compensation is garbo.

Exactly.

If its a 4th and a 5th...then that is a bit more reasonable. But not a 6th and 7th 

1 minute ago, Ovie_Lover said:

We’d get higher than a 6th and 7th in comp dude

I agree. I'm not interested in the article. I'm interested in learning if anyone on the Falcons not named Julio or Ryan might be available for those looking to add one more piece. Mack, in particular, has immediate value for anyone looking for interior OL help for a stretch run in 2020. 

3 minutes ago, athell said:

No reason to settle for a 6th and 7th for one of the best centers of all time and a young, up and coming edge when everyone is looking for one.

Mack is most likely retiring at the end of this year. We might get a 5th for Takk.  Not sure what we would get for Mack 

5 minutes ago, athell said:

I think we all agree on that, see my response to the same point above. We are all a little wrapped around the axle on the actual guess of the author. I assumed everyone would ignore the obvious surface flaws and talk about the general availability of Mack and Takk. I forgot that TAFT is a forum where everything is assumed click bait till proven otherwise. 

1 minute ago, Sidecar Falcon said:

Mack is most likely retiring at the end of this year. We might get a 5th for Takk.  Not sure what we would get for Mack 

I don't know if I'd say most likely.  He may but he also sounds like he's not ready.

6th and 7th are throwaway picks.  We can do better.  I think.  When you are in our position you arent in the position of power so...