Herd on the Quinn Firing

13 minutes ago, CraigSmackDaddy said:

He is but he’s never been a “dual threat” QB and there are still plenty of pocket passers winning in the NFL.  Cough cough Tannehill and the Titans is a very good example.  

See also Goff/Carr/Roethlisberger

Amazing what a running game and fundamental defense will do. As well as having consistently good game planning by coaching staff. Amazing.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joy Taylor is way too distracting. I did not hear a word he said.

When has Ryan had everything perfect, the year he won the MVP? I guess he needs everything to be perfect to win a MVP and win a Super Bowl (**** you Quinn/Shanny). Ryan made Harry Douglas a 1,000

There are few media types that I have respect for.   This jack *** is not one of them.

Posted Images

1 minute ago, Killing Floor said:

I can name 1 pocket passer who doesn't win.  And I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm saying you're right. 

After last weekend Ryan will probably spring back to his 2016 self.  It's all good.  No need to argue.  Besides, you just named the 3 best clutch play calling quarterbacks in the league for the last decade.  And you named 3 quarterbacks who will lay 5 Ls on ATL this year.  And any one of these 3 has won the Super Bowl.  One of them overcame a 4 TD deficit, remember?  Hint, it wasn't Dan Quinn throwing 3 and outs instead of chewing clock at the end of the 4th.  

So yes, a pocket passer like Tom Brady or Drew Brees who also have 23 rushing TDs or a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers who has 28 rushing TDs can win a game.  And yes, a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers who has 3,150+ rush yards, nearly 3X Ryan's career rush yards, can win a game.   For what it's worth, Matt Ryan does have more rushing yards than TB12.  You could plant a flag on that hill if you want. 

So sure, you're probably right, our l'il Brian Hoyer will go from 7-9, 7-9, and 0-5 to the Super Bowl next year if we all just believe hard enough.

You at least had a few valid points until you mentioned Brian Hoyer. Matt doesn’t call the offense man, that’s what DK and the offensive coordinators do.  The golden boy Shanahan is who called those pass plays in the SB.

I’m not gonna agree with you and you’re not gonna agree with me, that’s fine.  We’ll see how the rest of this season goes, my money is that Ryan will play much better going forward and regardless of the win loss record will be the Falcons starting QB next season.   

8 hours ago, niels petersen said:

Never liked Cowherd. He really likes to hear himself talk. So much that the contents of his speeches don't really matter to him, he just needs to keep yappin'. Ugh!

I don't either.  Personally don't find his takes to be very informed, seems to just put a spin on mainstream takes and run his mouth as opposed to provide substance.

1 hour ago, Vandy said:

See also Goff/Carr/Roethlisberger

Amazing what a running game and fundamental defense will do. As well as having consistently good game planning by coaching staff. Amazing.

Goff was the weakest link in that Super Bowl and the rams would probably be better off with a QB that can actually move.  Derek Carr runs a 4.65 40 and Roethlisberger has a better arm than Ryan. 

1 hour ago, ChickenBiscuit said:

Goff was the weakest link in that Super Bowl and the rams would probably be better off with a QB that can actually move.  Derek Carr runs a 4.65 40 and Roethlisberger has a better arm than Ryan. 

Goff has quietly been one of the nfl’s biggest surprises at QB this year. His passer rating is actually a hair above Mahomes.

Carr may run a 4.65, but he’s now flourishing in gruden’s WCO passing attack much like Ryan did with shanny’s in ‘16. Coaching & scheme matters a lot.

Roeth has always had a stronger arm, but Pitt has also always had a stout defense. Ryan would have a couple SB rings if he had any semblance of a steeler D during his career in ATL. 

And all 3 QBs have upper tier HC’s. Which was my point. 

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Matt needs to go to a team with a better OL and just run the system - SanFran for instance.

Matt has been great for Falcons franchise and made the Falcons relevant again - but he needs to move on - it just feels like a good time to part ways - maybe it cannot because of salary cap this year but it needs to be wrapped up by end of 2021 season.

I'm drafting the future QB if a stud available in top 10 and let them learn under Matt for a year then cutting or trading Matt.    This team needs a re-set and it should start at QB.   Don't even care if that makes us worse for a year or two before we get better.

I agree with all but better oline. They are probably the same i just think the system keeps them safe. They will get blasted too if they are passing all day or not scheming. 

On 10/13/2020 at 3:16 PM, Jpg428gggg said:

When has Ryan had everything perfect, the year he won the MVP? I guess he needs everything to be perfect to win a MVP and win a Super Bowl (**** you Quinn/Shanny).

Ryan made Harry Douglas a 1,000 yard receiver and has succeeded with no running game, no defense, and average offensive lines. He has been a very successful QB in spite of the hands he has been dealt. He has three dubious records:

Highest QB rating in Super Bowl for losing QB

Highest QB rating in Championship game for losing team

Highest QB rating for a team with losing record

Ryan has not played well this year, but he still has some years left in him with the right coaching.

Patrick Maholmes and Lamar Jackson aren't successful just because of their scrambling abilities. They are successful because their team built offenses that play to the strengths of their offense. We need a coaching staff that can come in and put together offenses/defenses that highlight our strengths. 

Atlanta Falcons Defensive Ranks (yards allowed) during Matt Ryan’s 13 year career: 2008: 24th 2009: 21st 2010: 16th 2011: 12th 2012: 24th 2013: 27th 2014: 32nd 2015: 16th 2016: 25th 2017: 9th 2018: 28th 2019: 20th 2020: 31st 🤔

8 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

I can name 1 pocket passer who doesn't win.  And I'm not disagreeing with you.  I'm saying you're right. 

After last weekend Ryan will probably spring back to his 2016 self.  It's all good.  No need to argue.  Besides, you just named the 3 best clutch play calling quarterbacks in the league for the last decade.  And you named 3 quarterbacks who will lay 5 Ls on ATL this year.  And any one of these 3 has won the Super Bowl.  One of them overcame a 4 TD deficit, remember?  Hint, it wasn't Dan Quinn throwing 3 and outs instead of chewing clock at the end of the 4th.  

So yes, a pocket passer like Tom Brady or Drew Brees who also have 23 rushing TDs or a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers who has 28 rushing TDs can win a game.  And yes, a pocket passer like Aaron Rodgers who has 3,150+ rush yards, nearly 3X Ryan's career rush yards, can win a game.   For what it's worth, Matt Ryan does have more rushing yards than TB12.  You could plant a flag on that hill if you want. 

So sure, you're probably right, our l'il Brian Hoyer will go from 7-9, 7-9, and 0-5 to the Super Bowl next year if we all just believe hard enough.

They are also 3 QB's Matt has out performed head to head in a number of games over his career without having to run the ball. We get it you're in love with mobile QBs you can come down off that hill now.

7 hours ago, Killing Floor said:

We all want the same thing.  It's been a long time.  

Rise Up.

no we don't. you obviously want a mobile QB in the mold of a mahomes or jackson. where as I could care less. Eventually Defenses will catch up with those guys just like they did with Vick and Newton. Defenses never caught up with guys like Brady or P. Manning only father time could do that lol

On 10/13/2020 at 2:09 PM, Sidecar Falcon said:

Completely agree with Cowherd on the league becoming more dynamic. I don’t agree with the notion that Ryan needs everything perfect. He’s spot on with everything else though. 

When your 0-5, and your 30+ million QB has played 11qts without a TD pass....

I think the “everything has to be perfect” can definitely be argued

4 hours ago, JKH5785 said:

When your 0-5, and your 30+ million QB has played 11qts without a TD pass....

I think the “everything has to be perfect” can definitely be argued

It’s not all on Ryan. And he is NOT completely blameless either. In a WCO, Ryan did pretty well, even without his MVP season.

The offensive scheme is a huge issue. Ryan has issues too but the WCO was able to mitigate some of them. I’ve stated for the past few years I’ve noticed Ryan declining.

This system is showing exactly what I’ve been seeing the last few years. If we do end up with the 1st overall pick, I’m hoping we take Lawrence. Let him learn for a year then put him in. See if Ryan is willing to restructure and stay as a backup. If not, cut him in June 2022, or if possible trade him to get some capital back. 

On 10/13/2020 at 1:25 PM, Killing Floor said:

Hooray!  I'm glad I'm not the only one who recognizes that Matt Ryan is as good as his record.  A new scheme and and 54 new players won't change anything offensively.  Matt's a hero and he deserves to be honored for all he has done up through 2016 season.  He absolutely will never see postseason again.  Look, we all hate the Saints but they won yesterday largely because Brees took control of the game.  Matt Ryan hasn't taken total ownership of a game in 4 years.  But let's see what happens.  There are easily 10, maybe 15 great QBs going into the draft.  

Saints won off of a missed 49 yarder bro...

56 minutes ago, Gee-Q said:

Saints won off of a missed 49 yarder bro...

In Football?  Are you sure?  I watched the game end to end.  The way I remember it the Saints were down and Brees led a 17 point comeback to send the game to OT.  

Been a long time since I suited up, I'll admit that.  But I don't remember any game where a PK won or lost it.  It's not ever been the job of a kicker to get the ball to range for an easy field goal.  It has never been the job of a kicker or long snapper to win a game.  It's a total sellout to ever blame a loss or a win on a FG that only happened because the O didn't close the red zone.  The difference in the Saints/Chargers game in OT is that Brees and the Saints got close enough and Herbert didn't.  No good reason to ever put a win or a loss on a kicker unless they're missing PATs which should be a gimme.  Credit the O or the D but kickers do not win or lose games, that's a cop out.  

So my point, again, is that when we are ready, in 3 years or so, we will need the next QB to be able to lead the team out of a hole or keep them from stepping into one.  Like or hate the Saints.  But Brees fought 60 minutes.   That's why they won.  We have seen the Falcons lay down in the 4th more than a couple times this year.  

On 10/13/2020 at 6:13 PM, Killing Floor said:

Bake is a great example of a leader, now that you mention it.   He represents the most of what we are missing.  Chip on your shoulder player who is going to grunt it out and find a way to prove he's a winner.  Before you blast, I did not say he's the best ever.  Just that nobody is going to keep him down.  And if he has to go against a stupid play call to move the chains he will do it.  And if it doesn't work he'll take the ball and go.  He's a football player.  And when Freddie Kitchens got in the way of his success, guess what?  He pressured management to fix the problem.  And nothing happens overnight in this league, too many moving parts.  But the Browns, The Cleveland Browns, are 4-1 and the Atlanta Falcons are 0-5 coming off back to back 7-9. 

The biggest difference between the Browns today and the last couple seasons is that Mayfield was cut loose to manage the quick calls.  He's making some of the clutch decisions.  Van Pelt and Stefanski know exactly what they have in Baker.  I admit to having a soft spot for the Browns, talk about a fan base that has been unwavering for life.  You gotta love how they have stuck it out for so long.

Now back to the point, No, Matt Ryan is slower this year than he was last year, and slower last year than he was in 2018.  

Since you mentioned 2016, remember the Super Bowl?  I watched the whole game.  It was awesome.  Until somebody decided it wasn't a good idea to run clock.  Until somebody went 3 and out on pass plays.  Somebody who you are implying is a leader blew that game when he had the clean opportunity of a lifetime to choke out the clock.  Instead, we punted and left the GOAT plenty time to tie the game.  Remember that game?  That was Matt Ryan who created the legend of not being able to convert 3rd downs and not commanding the clock in the most critical game.  His pressure decision making skills have declined.  This can be clearly documented using W/L ratio.  You are your record in this game.  Cruel as that may be, it's the truth.  As true as it is that the game has advanced and grown beyond man like Dan Quinn, it has grown beyond our hero, Matt Ryan.  Retire his jersey before he clams 3 more seasons.  

The Cleveland Browns made the right changes and they are 4-1, the tossed Dallas around like luggage.   The Browns are better because they got out from under some poor coaching, but the Browns even in their 0-16 season never got really blown out very often, they have good players, we have some good players.  The difference between the Browns and Bake and the Falcons and Ryan is the Browns have an on field leader who is going to find a way to be successful no matter what.  The Falcons have a very accurate plant-footed pocket passer who can throw a rope if he has enough time and doesn't have to move or make any snap decisions.

My lifelong only team, the Falcons, are 0-5 and 7-9, 7-9.  What are you seeing that I am not seeing?  All I see to the contrary is "I like Ryan, we went to the Super Bowl a long time ago and he was the quarterback."  Show me some evidence that he's been anything but barely adequate in the last 3 seasons.   And yes, I know he used to be great and has set records.  But he is his record today and he was his record last year.  It's Football.

Well this comment didn’t age well lol. Guess this is what happens when you turn Baker Mayfield loose ctfu. Don’t ever mention baker’s name in the same sentence with Matty’s again. 

15 hours ago, shockerfalcon said:

Well this comment didn’t age well lol. Guess this is what happens when you turn Baker Mayfield loose ctfu. Don’t ever mention baker’s name in the same sentence with Matty’s again. 

Haha, guess not.  Bake had a bad day.  So he's 4-2 now.  And Mike Tomlin had his number for sure.  Credit the Steelers for that game too.  

I'm over the moon about the win yesterday.  And hey, that's the first step to 11-5 season.  It's not over until it's over.

But is your point that a little hustle on 3rd and 1 wouldn't make a difference on 4 of our 5 L?    

I'm happy that Ryan stepped up yesterday and I hope he continues to exert at that level.  Because if he does we can pick things up a little.  Agree or not, he very obviously worked a lot harder than he has in some games this year.  Glad to see that.  No matter what, we're not going to beat the Jets for 1st pick!  So I am hopeful to salvage the season.