ESPN on Ryan’s future in Atlanta

27 minutes ago, isproab said:

I will say this, I like Fields better than Lawrence.  Lawrence is big and has been successful on a great team.  I just don't sense that he has that "it" factor.  I don't feel that he is going to be great on the next level.  Something about him seems very ordinary.  I feel about him like I felt about Paxton Lynch and Brock Osweiler.  I recognize what he is done, he is a local guy so I want him to do well.  Just don't see it at this point.

You are talking about two QB's from Memphis and Arizona State.... Put some RESPEK on Lawrence name. The level he faces day in and day out is wayyyy higher than the competition those others faced at the time. And he's been on the national spotlight and performed relatively well. 

When we drafted Matt Ryan out of college (assuming you were alive or understood the pick), were you screaming, "YEAH HE'S A FIERCE AND FIERY COMPETITOR!"?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hes right. I am a big Ryan guy and I hear it every day but even with a rookie you keep Ryan in 2021 to teach the young kid then 2022 we see how 2021 went

This team was INCREDIBLY fortunate to land Matt Ryan immediately after the Michael Vick saga. This fan base doesn't even realize it. Teams like Miami, Cleveland, Buffalo and even Denver have honestly

Guys calm down.... this is the Falcons we are talking about...    we will have the first pick until we win our last 3 meaningless games to get the 7th pick.. 🤪 sorry not sorry

4 hours ago, g-dawg said:

nothing ever is a sure thing.

I will take my chances with hitting the re-set button and drafting a new QB.....we fared well 12 years ago with that decision.   If you believe the Falcons are in some mythical "2 year window" then I certainly understand staying with Matt.    I have no such illusions.

If the Falcons are in a position to draft those guys - you do it - period.

Doubt we ever have the opp to draft either Lawrence or Fields.....but even if we did, and it were me, I’d trade that pick for a slew of picks and build in the areas we have real deficiencies in.

But I hear you, there’s always the other side of when do we move on at QB.

I just believe we have enough of a foundation that with the right coaching staff, we can build around a still upper tier QB. 

For every Ryan Leaf their is a Pat Mahommes. 

11 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Stupid take by Booger.

if Falcons in position to take Lawrence, Fields or Lance - you do it.

Matt Ryan is dayum good QB but he is closer to the past than the future.

I'm the biggest Ryan homer around. That said, Green Bay didn't hesitate to draft AR with Brett Favre behind center. I know it isn't apples to apples as he was a mid/late 1st rounder, but I think the analogy fits overall. Favre wasn't done, but he wasn't getting younger. They saw a guy they wanted and they used a first round draft pick with a HOF'er standing behind center. 

4 hours ago, falcndave said:

For every Ryan Leaf their is a Pat Mahommes. 

I'm the biggest Ryan homer around. That said, Green Bay didn't hesitate to draft AR with Brett Favre behind center. I know it isn't apples to apples as he was a mid/late 1st rounder, but I think the analogy fits overall. Favre wasn't done, but he wasn't getting younger. They saw a guy they wanted and they used a first round draft pick with a HOF'er standing behind center. 

Not really the same thing. Farve at the time was doing his annual ‘will he retire or won’t?’ guessing game with packers. All that plus Rodgers fell so far in that draft he became a BPA no-brainer late 1st round pick for packers in that draft.

On 10/13/2020 at 11:47 AM, falcndave said:

Fair argument. No such thing as a perfect analogy. I mentioned one flaw in the post. That said, I stand by the point. 

I respect the point Dave, just feel we have much bigger needs on defense and much more so...a huge need to upgrade at HC. 

All these knee jerk reactions at QB who, even in a bad season for his standards, is still on pace for 4700/22/10. If it were me, I’d wait on writing Ryan off until we see how he responds to better coaching and scheme fit.

JUSTIN FIELDS
QB Ohio State
Atlanta Falcons

TRADE: Falcons trade QB Matt Ryan to 49ers for 2021 1st-round pick, 2022 3rd-round pick

This trade would send shockwaves throughout the entire NFL.

I wrote a piece on quarterbacks the 49ers should pursue in a trade, and I think Matt Ryan is a really intriguing option if the Falcons are amenable to it.

Although it may not seem this way on the surface, the team really taking on the brunt of financial burden in a trade like this would be the Falcons, who would have to eat over $40 million in dead money to trade their franchise QB Matt Ryan, who has been around since 2008.

With that being the case, the 49ers would have to pay up, and that wouldn’t be any issue for them. Their pieces are really already in place.

For the Falcons, the firing of Dan Quinn and Thomas Dimitroff signifies that the rebuild is on.

At this point, we haven’t seen Justin Fields play in his second season with Ohio State, but he’s obviously expected to show top-five ability once again.

All of the tools are there, and they always have been for him. With a larger sample size, Fields’ draft stock could soar.

7 hours ago, 408Falcon said:

You are talking about two QB's from Memphis and Arizona State.... Put some RESPEK on Lawrence name. The level he faces day in and day out is wayyyy higher than the competition those others faced at the time. And he's been on the national spotlight and performed relatively well. 

When we drafted Matt Ryan out of college (assuming you were alive or understood the pick), were you screaming, "YEAH HE'S A FIERCE AND FIERY COMPETITOR!"?

No, but I felt Ryan was a good franchise QB. I'm just not there with Lawrence like everyone else is. He is a 1st round pick. I know he is going #1 overall. 

20 hours ago, g-dawg said:

Stupid take by Booger.

if Falcons in position to take Lawrence, Fields or Lance - you do it.

Matt Ryan is dayum good QB but he is closer to the past than the future.

this is the best statement so far. i love Matt and believe he still has a few very good years left, but making the right pick could shore up the qb spot for another decade plus.  I just hope the front office does whats best for the falcons. if we can't get our guy, i do believe we can win with matt until we do.

4 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

The city has turned on Matt Ryan. He was never accepted like Vick was. He gone after next season. 

Who is “the city”? And if he is “turned on”  but was never accepted?’ So! Lol

And like Mina said, the right coach Matt could be at a high level again. Not even the biggest problem with this team by a mile.

Its not so all or nothing conclusive as people make it seem.

14 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

Who is “the city”? And if he is “turned on”  but was never accepted?’ So! Lol

And like Mina said, the right coach Matt could be at a high level again. Not even the biggest problem with this team by a mile.

Its not so all or nothing conclusive as people make it seem.

I hope you’re right. Matt has one more year to prove he can get back to form with a new regime or he’s gone

2 minutes ago, 175_Ranger_Falcon said:

I hope you’re right. Matt has one more year to prove he can get back to form with a new regime or he’s gone

This is probably true. He wasn’t that far off last year. Had some phenomenal games before his ankle injury, too. Then, we had serious pass blocking and no run game. Now, we seem to have no consistent playcalling and teams know exactly what is coming.

Now, compare that to how our defense looks at its own reflection in the mirror and hides covering one another for some inexplicable reason. It’s not even complex stuff confusing our guys. It’s BASIC assignment football. Lol.

Either way. Offense and defense need coaching overhaul. Regardless if it’s with a new era in mind or revamping with the existing core. BOTH can be part of the plans of a new regime.

I think if you bring Matt back it is for a last hurrah to try to bring the Lombardi to Atlanta.  You use your #1 pick to draft the best defensive player.  The Alex Smith comparison isn't fair because Smith was always a game manager even at his best.  Matt always has been and still is a franchise QB even if his prime has past.  

I don't see him being traded, it doesn't make economic sense. 

I do not believe he has some magic that he's been hiding the last 3 years that will come out now that DQ is gone.  But I think he's here until his contract expires.  That said, there will be some really solid prospects this draft.  I hope we get one.  Better have a plan.

3 hours ago, autigerfan said:

I think if you bring Matt back it is for a last hurrah to try to bring the Lombardi to Atlanta.  You use your #1 pick to draft the best defensive player.  The Alex Smith comparison isn't fair because Smith was always a game manager even at his best.  Matt always has been and still is a franchise QB even if his prime has past.  

Yes,, we should bring Matt back for a couple of years.. To lead the team until Trevor Lawrence learns the system.. By that time which would probably be around two more years.. it would be the perfect timing for Matt to ride off in the Sunset..  with a smile.     :dealwithit:

On 10/12/2020 at 9:22 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Added: Mina throwing some dubs too

Totally don't agree with her take on , "Stop Running the ball on first and second downs",, We did that in the first half and was doing a lot better than the other games we played.. And when they stopped Running in the second half .. WE went backward..  She needs to get her Ps and qs straight.  Prof is in the Puddin!! We should have stuck to running the ball more in the second half also... I just couldn't understand it... Why stop doing what's working ... No wonder DQ got fired..  Don't stop what's working,,... You have to run the ball at least a third of the time IMO ,, if you want to be successful.  It wears down the opposing team more and more as the game goes by.. You cannot abandon the Run Game.. like we did in this last game..  It got DQ fired.

5 hours ago, autigerfan said:

I disagree.  I think you bring Matt back because you can't get a good deal for him or you want to give a rookie QB time to develop.  Basically do what the Packers are doing.  Otherwise, he moves on like Phillip Rivers.

Falcons have never been one player away and Ryan has shown that he needs everything perfect.  One DE is not gonna bring the Lombardi home without other dramatic changes.

Edited by BLM
On 10/13/2020 at 10:35 AM, Wjcorner said:

Random question, am I the only person in the country that hates Lawrence’s throwing motion lol?

Lol nah you’re not, some people think its beautiful but he does have a long drawn out throwing motion on some throws though he can work from different angles. He can’t really flick it like say a Raddler, Hilinski or Murray but his touch is still one of the best.

On 10/12/2020 at 9:35 PM, Ergo Proxy said:

Pretty much it.

And, the #1 QB taken is hardly a sure thing or even the best in their class year to year. It’s a gamble.

Hype is at an all time high. This can go a number of ways.

To put this as a Black & White/All or Nothing as though you can’t actually play with Matt any further because you want to invest in the future there is narrow minded and short-sighted.

Much of this boils down to who is hired. I think it’s premature to assume Ryan and this team can’t bounce back from the right coaching hire.

Anyone just spewing "Trade Matt" or fire him just has an agenda and isn't paying attention to the team