Finally a happy Monday. Let's look at some coaching candidates

10 hours ago, Robb4242 said:

Pederson really hasn't done much, outside of the 1 year. But at least he finished the final game when he got there unlike DQ. Other than that season, he's a .500 coach. Nagy hasn't shown much in Chicago either.  His best offense was his 1st year there and they ranked 21st. He dropped to 29th last year and is at 27th this season. So yeah, that's  a strike against to me. Also, would Bieniemy be such a hot prospect if Mahomes wasnt the guy in KC?  I'm just not sold right now on him. 

Chicago doesn't have much offensive talent, that trade up for Trubisky really hamstrung that roster. With just an average QB, Nagy might be doing better...I wouldn't judge any coach based on what they have going at QB in Chicago.

1 hour ago, Osiruz said:

Runs WC offense, he believes in running the ball, has experience, just didn't have a good QB or defense in Washington. 

Agree 100%

People cream their jeans on here for some sort of Shanny disciple to be the HC, but then get all "no way" when you bring up Jay Gruden because they only think about what happened in Washington... where he had one of the most dysfunctional owner/front office situations in recent history... and have no clue about his experience and connections to that same offensive scheme.

The ties between the Grudens & Shanahans are super close. Schematically, Jay runs a lot of the same concepts as Kyle & his father. When Jay Gruden was OC for the Bengals, he turned that dumpster fire into one of the better offenses in the NFL, helping lead them to 3 consecutive playoff appearances.

Unlike guys like TATF darlings Mike McDaniel & Mike LaFleur, Jay Gruden actually has a ton of experience as a HC at several different levels. So, hiring him means getting someone who actually understands the duties of the role. Meanwhile, neither LaFleur or McDaniel have even been an OC in the NFL yet.

Lots of young, hotshot coordinators/assistants-turned HCs have been able to get their teams enough regular season wins to be in the playoffs,. But far more often than not, they come up short once the stakes are higher and it's do or die against more experienced coaching staffs.

Just having been a HC before is not a sure thing of course, but if you get a guy w/ experience who happened to be in a bad situation in his first go as a HC, you arguably have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than you do with a guy who's never been a HC before.

So, not necessarily saying Jay Gruden is my favorite candidate, but he's someone folks shouldn't be sleeping on just because of how things went down in Washington. He checks a lot of the boxes for a HC candidate who could potentially make this a smooth transition based on the personnel we have.

For OC, have him bring in someone who worked under him in the system previously... a bright, young guy like Ram's Passing Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, who went with McVay to LA after they had worked under Jay Gruden in Washington.

1 minute ago, k-train said:

Agree 100%

People cream their jeans on here for some sort of Shanny disciple to be the HC, but then get all "no way" when you bring up Jay Gruden because they only think about what happened in Washington... where he had one of the most dysfunctional owner/front office situations in recent history... and have no clue about his experience and connections to that same offensive scheme.

The ties between the Grudens & Shanahans are super close. Schematically, Jay runs a lot of the same concepts as Kyle & his father. When Jay Gruden was OC for the Bengals, he turned that dumpster fire into one of the better offenses in the NFL, helping lead them to 3 consecutive playoff appearances.

Unlike guys like TATF darlings Mike McDaniel & Mike LaFleur, Jay Gruden actually has a ton of experience as a HC at several different levels. So, hiring him means getting someone who actually understands the duties of the role. Meanwhile, neither LaFleur or McDaniel have even been an OC in the NFL yet.

Lots of young, hotshot coordinators/assistants-turned HCs have been able to get their teams enough regular season wins to be in the playoffs,. But far more often than not, they come up short once the stakes are higher and it's do or die against more experienced coaching staffs.

Just having been a HC before is not a sure thing of course, but if you get a guy w/ experience who happened to be in a bad situation in his first go as a HC, you arguably have a better chance at winning a Super Bowl than you do with a guy who's never been a HC before.

So, not necessarily saying Jay Gruden is my favorite candidate, but he's someone folks shouldn't be sleeping on just because of how things went down in Washington. He checks a lot of the boxes for a HC candidate who could potentially make this a smooth transition based on the personnel we have.

For OC, have him bring in someone who worked under him in the system previously... a bright, young guy like Ram's Passing Game Coordinator Shane Waldron, who went with McVay to LA after they had worked under Jay Gruden in Washington.

Thats what Im saying. His offense in Cincy was really good. 

14 hours ago, Robb4242 said:

The bad thing is that this is the year to draft a QB.  It's a strong class.  2022 doesn't seem to be as good.  If there is any way to get into a full rebuild now, we need to go for it.  But we are in terrible cap shape.

It's weird the dichotomy going on here, as many on here are saying the exact opposite: this is a terrible year for QBs. Next year is better

8 hours ago, WhenFalconsWin said:

Yes we are 0-5, but getting the news this morning made me as happy as a kid on Christmas morning. Artie finally did it, I no longer have to see Quinn's puss on the sidelines and Troff'd again is gone as well. 

I go from being giddy to feeling bad for celebrating people losing their jobs, but back to giddy again.

10 hours ago, E. T. said:

Let's have this conversation again after we get our GM.

I’d rather hire the coach first and let him have input on the GM search. I’ve never been one to believe that the coach works under the GM. I think both should be direct reports to the owner (or in our case, the president Rich McKay). And the GM should be called director of player personnel. Shouldn’t the coach have some say on the guy who will supply his roster? I think so. 

Edited by Trump MAGA