Finally a happy Monday. Let's look at some coaching candidates

I know Eric Bieniemy is at the top of everyone's list, but I worry about hiring him for multiple reasons. 1st, he's an OC under Andy Reid, a position that has historically been a position in name only. Reid doesn't let any OC have very much control in his system, he keeps a tight reign on it. 2nd only 1 former OC for Reid has become a HC and that is Pat Shurmer, who holds a 9-23 record and looked completely overwhelmed at least in part due to lack of decision making input under Reid.  

I think we need an offensive minded coach who can bring in a strong DC, so here are some candidates not named Bieniemy.  My preference is a young offensive coach with some HC experience.  That’s extremely limited, like maybe only Josh McDaniels limiting, and I’m not too thrilled with that either.  Another offensive coach, that isn’t young, but has experience is Jim Caldwell.  Caldwell has gotten a bad wrap, but he’s a good coach.  ****, he took the Detroit Lions to the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons there as HC.

Experienced coaches without HC experience are plentiful.  If we don’t go with one that has HC experience, I’d like to see a coach with a lot of assistant/OC experience.  Brian Shottenheimer is a guy with the pedigree similar to Kyle Shannahan.  He’s not the coach Kyle is though, but hard to argue what he’s done in Seattle the past few years.  Another coach is Pete Carmichael, the Taints long time OC.  It’s hard to say, but he’s been a **** good OC for that team.  Who better to piss off taints fans than bringing in one of their own who knows how to attack their defense?  Greg Roman who is running the offense in Baltimore has multiple OC stops.  He was OC with Kaepernick in SF, OC for the Bills in 15/16 which he probably hopes people would forget. But now he’s with Lamar.  So he’s definitely used to working with QBs like many fans would want (Justin Fields maybe)?

The less experienced coaches who are or will become hot names are the ones that get people excited.  Bieniemy is one of those, here are some others.  Joe Brady, the Panther’s OC.  He’s VERY raw, only 3 years in the NFL and the Panthers is his first OC job at any level.  He’ll be a name in the future for some team, but too early for him now.  Brian Daboll has a little more experience and comes from great coaching trees (Belichick, Saban, Crennel).  He’s built a very good offense in Buffalo and will be a hot name this offseason.  Byron Leftwich, our former QB for the gap year between Vick & Ryan, has been an OC under Bruce Arians for the past 3 seasons.  This year he’s getting experience with the GOAT as his QB.

So there are a lot of candidates out there not named Bieniemy.  My immediate reaction rankings are:

1.       Pete Carmichael

2.       Jim Caldwell

3.       Greg Roman

4.       Brian Daboll

5.       Byron Leftwich

2 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Try to bring in Kubiak to get the very last drops out of Ryan before a full blown rebuild.

I'd say just rebuild now, but it's not really possible in our cap situation.

The bad thing is that this is the year to draft a QB.  It's a strong class.  2022 doesn't seem to be as good.  If there is any way to get into a full rebuild now, we need to go for it.  But we are in terrible cap shape.

You don't trust Beinemy because he coached under Andy Reid but you think Carmichael had control of Sean Payton's offense?

Also, the Andy Reid OC thing wasn't a talking point when Nagy got the job in Chicago, nor when Peterson went to Philly and won a ring before Reid did. But suddenly it's why Beinemy can't get a job. Funny.

23 minutes ago, Robb4242 said:

I know Eric Bieniemy is at the top of everyone's list, but I worry about hiring him for multiple reasons. 1st, he's an OC under Andy Reid, a position that has historically been a position in name only. Reid doesn't let any OC have very much control in his system, he keeps a tight reign on it. 2nd only 1 former OC for Reid has become a HC and that is Pat Shurmer, who holds a 9-23 record and looked completely overwhelmed at least in part due to lack of decision making input under Reid.  

I think we need an offensive minded coach who can bring in a strong DC, so here are some candidates not named Bieniemy.  My preference is a young offensive coach with some HC experience.  That’s extremely limited, like maybe only Josh McDaniels limiting, and I’m not too thrilled with that either.  Another offensive coach, that isn’t young, but has experience is Jim Caldwell.  Caldwell has gotten a bad wrap, but he’s a good coach.  ****, he took the Detroit Lions to the playoffs in 2 of his 3 seasons there as HC.

Experienced coaches without HC experience are plentiful.  If we don’t go with one that has HC experience, I’d like to see a coach with a lot of assistant/OC experience.  Brian Shottenheimer is a guy with the pedigree similar to Kyle Shannahan.  He’s not the coach Kyle is though, but hard to argue what he’s done in Seattle the past few years.  Another coach is Pete Carmichael, the Taints long time OC.  It’s hard to say, but he’s been a **** good OC for that team.  Who better to piss off taints fans than bringing in one of their own who knows how to attack their defense?  Greg Roman who is running the offense in Baltimore has multiple OC stops.  He was OC with Kaepernick in SF, OC for the Bills in 15/16 which he probably hopes people would forget. But now he’s with Lamar.  So he’s definitely used to working with QBs like many fans would want (Justin Fields maybe)?

The less experienced coaches who are or will become hot names are the ones that get people excited.  Bieniemy is one of those, here are some others.  Joe Brady, the Panther’s OC.  He’s VERY raw, only 3 years in the NFL and the Panthers is his first OC job at any level.  He’ll be a name in the future for some team, but too early for him now.  Brian Daboll has a little more experience and comes from great coaching trees (Belichick, Saban, Crennel).  He’s built a very good offense in Buffalo and will be a hot name this offseason.  Byron Leftwich, our former QB for the gap year between Vick & Ryan, has been an OC under Bruce Arians for the past 3 seasons.  This year he’s getting experience with the GOAT as his QB.

So there are a lot of candidates out there not named Bieniemy.  My immediate reaction rankings are:

1.       Pete Carmichael

2.       Jim Caldwell

3.       Greg Roman

4.       Brian Daboll

5.       Byron Leftwich

In no particular order here are mine. 

Roman

Daboll

A. Smith

Riley

McDaniels

I think the most likely DC is Wink Martindale. Todd Bowles would be second.

The most likely OCs imo are Bienemy, Jason Garrett, and Kellen Moore.

If you want a darkhorse candidate, it's Mike LaFleur, Matt's younger brother, who worked here in 2015-2016. He could get Shanny's recommendation, which would matter to Blank.

A choice nobody's discussing yet is Jerrod Mayo, who is currently a LBs Coach but also the guy most likely to become Mike Vrabel II.

39 minutes ago, The Real Tony G. said:

You don't trust Beinemy because he coached under Andy Reid but you think Carmichael had control of Sean Payton's offense?

Also, the Andy Reid OC thing wasn't a talking point when Nagy got the job in Chicago, nor when Peterson went to Philly and won a ring before Reid did. But suddenly it's why Beinemy can't get a job. Funny.

Pederson really hasn't done much, outside of the 1 year. But at least he finished the final game when he got there unlike DQ. Other than that season, he's a .500 coach. Nagy hasn't shown much in Chicago either.  His best offense was his 1st year there and they ranked 21st. He dropped to 29th last year and is at 27th this season. So yeah, that's  a strike against to me. Also, would Bieniemy be such a hot prospect if Mahomes wasnt the guy in KC?  I'm just not sold right now on him. 

22 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

This is the first time that Urban Meyer's name hasn't popped up on here in a while.

I'm impressed lol

Well, i despise Urban, so there may be a reason he wasn't mentioned. Plus i don't think he'd translate well to the pro game. And then there's his health.  

58 minutes ago, FalconFanSince1969 said:

Try to bring in Kubiak to get the very last drops out of Ryan before a full blown rebuild.

I'd say just rebuild now, but it's not really possible in our cap situation.

yeah, we are stuck between a rock and a hard place with TD's hail mary to save his job this year. I'll be on the record and say I do not, under any circumstance unless we get the great Belicheck want a defensive HC.

If we keep Ryan and the gang one last hurrah, we need a coach that has done it before, its a pretty short list of offensive minded guys not named McDaniels like OP mentioned:

Gary Kubiak(if hes healthy)

Jim Harbaugh

Jim Caldwell

all 3 could have a shot to turn this around quick

If we just say **** it and blow it up with plans to go for 2022 which we will have to do with this cap ****, then I think that opens up a lot more options, including grooming a QB for a year.

If you think Joe Brady is the next McVay, you hire him raw without a problem

Other names to consider:

Eric Bienemi

Mike McDaniel

Lincoln Riley

3 hours ago, Robb4242 said:

The bad thing is that this is the year to draft a QB.  It's a strong class.  2022 doesn't seem to be as good.  If there is any way to get into a full rebuild now, we need to go for it.  But we are in terrible cap shape.

It seems like some QBs jump out of nowhere, only to make an otherwise lackluster QB class much better that advertised at first glance. The college game can make some QBs have this meteroric rise in just a season.

I wouldn't be too worried about 2022.