#3 Georgia vs #2 Alabama Thread

The comments aren’t out of context. He tried to backtrack after the fact. He clearly said if he didn’t play in the NC game he was going to transfer. What does that have to do with the 4th quarter program? Nothing. 

The difference in the two programs right now is that Tua stuck it out and Fields quit. I’m not sure how either player's decision is ultimately either coach’s fault. Tua also didn’t act like a spoiled, entitled child in practice and around his teammates and by all accounts he showed out over Hurts in practice. Different story for Fields.  

Neither QBs freshman numbers were statistically significant for snaps over the course of the season so that’s a pointless to make that argument about Tua getting so much more game action than Fields. Again, according to Tua’s own comments it wasn’t enough to keep him there. 

The difference was that Tua showed out in practice to the point that Saban felt comfortable enough to put him in the game when it mattered. Clearly, based off practice performance, Kirby didn’t think Fields had proven enough to turn things around for us against LSU or for the rest of the season. Can anybody honestly watch Kirby Smart on the sideline with all that passion and emotion and tell me he’s not going to do everything he can to win a game? I don’t think so. 

I don’t know why anyone from either side brought Fields into this discussion. By his own choice he’s not on Georgia’s roster so there’s no reason to even bring his name up unless it’s a discussion on OSU.

• Replies 783
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Kinda like us losing our starting QB three weeks before the season. Had to go with our most experienced guy, who was never projected to get any playing time. If I’m not mistaken, I don’t think Stet go

I think we have a real possibility to beat Bama. But if I'm being honest, I don't think I believe we could actually do it until we actually do.

Wrong forum 

Posted Images

1 hour ago, tl;dr said:

Good read. Mac Jones has been the biggest surprise in CFB if you ask me. I figured he would play well, but he is playing as well as anyone in the country. Yeah he's got some stud WRs, but the ball is still being placed perfectly. 

I saw someone say that "he thinks" the Georgia defense is better than the Alabama defense. He thinks...? This isn't even up for debate if you ask me lol. Sure Alabama made some mistakes offensively, but I still think Georgia's defense is much much better. Don't know if anyone is going to come close to the ~600 yard, 41 point performance against that defense again all year. 

The Falcons fan in me wonders what would have happened if we had let Sark run his offense in Atlanta. He is doing some insane things for that Alabama offense. He helped Tua improve, has helped turn Mac Jones into a very good QB, and he also helped get Bryce Young to Alabama (just wait, the kid is going to be a freak). What if we had let him run his offense and didn't make him adjust to Shanny's playbook? Guess we will never know...

I thought Bennett did play well for the most part (better than people are giving him credit for tbh), and they are right about some of the UGA adjustments in the first half. They ran right at the Alabama defense which helped. I think in December, Alabama's defense will be playing better though, so he will likely have to be better next time. I'm not sure JT Daniels is going to be the guy to help elevate that offense though. He's good, but he isn't the transcendent talent. 

All that being said... it's VERY hard to beat the same team twice in a year. See 2017 Georgia/Auburn, 1996 Florida/Florida State as the first two that come to mind. 

If Bennett is our QB again the whole rematch thing won’t matter. I like the kid but he’s not good enough to beat Bama plain and simple. We don’t have a QB on the roster, at this moment, who is capable of beating Bama. I think we’re one QB and one stud receiver away from competing this year. By the end of the year, Burton may step up to be that guy at WR but we need someone to step up in a major way at QB or the rest of the talent won’t matter. 

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

The comments aren’t out of context. He tried to backtrack after the fact. He clearly said if he didn’t play in the NC game he was going to transfer. What does that have to do with the 4th quarter program? Nothing. 

The difference in the two programs right now is that Tua stuck it out and Fields quit. I’m not sure how either player's decision is ultimately either coach’s fault. Tua also didn’t act like a spoiled, entitled child in practice and around his teammates and by all accounts he showed out over Hurts in practice. Different story for Fields.  

Neither QBs freshman numbers were statistically significant for snaps over the course of the season so that’s a pointless to make that argument about Tua getting so much more game action than Fields. Again, according to Tua’s own comments it wasn’t enough to keep him there. 

The difference was that Tua showed out in practice to the point that Saban felt comfortable enough to put him in the game when it mattered. Clearly, based off practice performance, Kirby didn’t think Fields had proven enough to turn things around for us against LSU or for the rest of the season. Can anybody honestly watch Kirby Smart on the sideline with all that passion and emotion and tell me he’s not going to do everything he can to win a game? I don’t think so. 

I don’t know why anyone from either side brought Fields into this discussion. By his own choice he’s not on Georgia’s roster so there’s no reason to even bring his name up unless it’s a discussion on OSU.

He should have transferred if he didn’t play in the title game. Everyone could see for a while that he was the better option. 

But it’s a tough spot for any coach to be in. Bench the guy who won the SEC OPOY the year before for some true freshman who hasn’t seen meaningful time? That’s a tough call, and they waited until what was probably the worst time to make the call, but it worked out. 

Fortunately, Georgia’s call next season is probably A LOT easier than that. Bennett isn’t going to beat out this true freshman from what I’ve seen. 

Honestly, I wonder if it’s time to give Mathis another look. If Daniels isn’t ready, why not let Mathis get another shot? Bennett has had a much longer leash than Mathis. Kentucky’s defense isn’t an ideal time to make a switch, but who knows 

33 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

He should have transferred if he didn’t play in the title game. Everyone could see for a while that he was the better option. 

But it’s a tough spot for any coach to be in. Bench the guy who won the SEC OPOY the year before for some true freshman who hasn’t seen meaningful time? That’s a tough call, and they waited until what was probably the worst time to make the call, but it worked out. 

Fortunately, Georgia’s call next season is probably A LOT easier than that. Bennett isn’t going to beat out this true freshman from what I’ve seen. 

Honestly, I wonder if it’s time to give Mathis another look. If Daniels isn’t ready, why not let Mathis get another shot? Bennett has had a much longer leash than Mathis. Kentucky’s defense isn’t an ideal time to make a switch, but who knows 

I agree about Tua transferring. He was clearly the better option. Kid showed a lot of character sticking it out and not whining throughout the season and it paid off for him in a big way.  

I think Mathis give us the best chance moving forward. He wasn’t as bad as everyone made him out to be. He opens things up with his legs and he has a much higher ceiling than Bennett. 

At this point he would be My last option but better than Bennett- I would honestly like to see jt and beck compete, I know people worry if beck balls out it will make Brock waiver but who cares if the kid can play and take us to the next level now I’d rather that than wait til next season with a true frosh- honestly if jt is healthy and not playing he must not have it, but he’d be harder to keep off the field next season unless we are established w either Mathis or beck. My opinion 

1 hour ago, UAB_DAWG said:

I agree about Tua transferring. He was clearly the better option. Kid showed a lot of character sticking it out and not whining throughout the season and it paid off for him in a big way.  

I think Mathis give us the best chance moving forward. He wasn’t as bad as everyone made him out to be. He opens things up with his legs and he has a much higher ceiling than Bennett. 

Especially after watching Arkansas, I think they are better than advertised. They have competed in every game this year and should be 3-1. They are a bottom tier SEC team, but much better than expected. Not sure that first half performance was the horrific thing it appeared to be at the time. 

3 hours ago, Dawgfanbrock said:

Mathis just looked bad against a bad team, I’m fine w playing a few qbs vs ky and seeing who looks best just honestly don’t wanna see Bennett again- we are 3-1 thru a real tough slate due to him but again we don’t beat bama cu or osu with him under center 

The play calling didn't help him much that game either though.  I'd like to see him get another shot when we're up big if possible.

12 hours ago, Porter Osborne Jr said:

The play calling didn't help him much that game either though.  I'd like to see him get another shot when we're up big if possible.

I agree, I said during the game that his OC wasn't doing him any favors. I can't recall now exactly what plays were being called, but I do remember saying that during his time on the field.