#3 Georgia vs #2 Alabama Thread

Carter

10 minutes ago, Carter said:

Really looking forward to this game! I have no idea if we will win, but I think it will be a fun game.

Trying to get my game day food plan together. Wings is my go to and I'll make some other stuff to go with it, but I'm not sure yet what we'll do Saturday.

What are you fine folks gonna be cooking up or picking up this weekend?

Smoked a 16 pound brisket this past weekend.. sooo probably leaning pork or chicken.. been wanting to do some pork belly burnt ends

1 minute ago, TheTrue7 said:

Smoked a 16 pound brisket this past weekend.. sooo probably leaning pork or chicken.. been wanting to do some pork belly burnt ends

I miss grilling. Going through some certification courses for a career change now to get into IT/security and want to plan on buying a house in 2021. Taking all the necessary steps to make that happen. Hopefully we don't have some kind of emergency throw it off track. Can't keep a grill in the apartments we live in. They're actually ***** about it and threaten eviction. I want to get a BGE though whenever the house happens. I've been able to put the oven, an air fryer, and crockpot to pretty good use though. :D 

Smoked brisket is a favorite 🤤🤤🤤 what kind of setup do you have for that?

2 minutes ago, Carter said:

I miss grilling. Going through some certification courses for a career change now to get into IT/security and want to plan on buying a house in 2021. Taking all the necessary steps to make that happen. Hopefully we don't have some kind of emergency throw it off track. Can't keep a grill in the apartments we live in. They're actually ***** about it and threaten eviction. I want to get a BGE though whenever the house happens. I've been able to put the oven, an air fryer, and crockpot to pretty good use though. :D 

Smoked brisket is a favorite 🤤🤤🤤 what kind of setup do you have for that?

Aw man.. you had me at “buy a house”.. I’m in real estate myself.. let me know if you’re looking MS Gulf Coast area.

Got a BGE as a gift.. used it like a champ forever.. then bought a Pit Boss pellet grill.. mannn.. best purchase ever.. 

7 minutes ago, TheTrue7 said:

Aw man.. you had me at “buy a house”.. I’m in real estate myself.. let me know if you’re looking MS Gulf Coast area.

Got a BGE as a gift.. used it like a champ forever.. then bought a Pit Boss pellet grill.. mannn.. best purchase ever.. 

I'll be in the Dallas area, but I will have to keep you in mind and maybe pick your brain for some advice when I get ready if that's alright with you.

One of the bosses at my last job was a big griller. He was one of the head honchos so he would set up pot luck type of days every now and then, he'd bring in a bunch of meat that he smoked and it was so good. Didn't like the guy but he could smoke some meat lol

I'm thinking about doing chicken this weekend. Maybe not wings though. 🤔

3 minutes ago, Carter said:

I'll be in the Dallas area, but I will have to keep you in mind and maybe pick your brain for some advice when I get ready if that's alright with you.

One of the bosses at my last job was a big griller. He was one of the head honchos so he would set up pot luck type of days every now and then, he'd bring in a bunch of meat that he smoked and it was so good. Didn't like the guy but he could smoke some meat lol

I'm thinking about doing chicken this weekend. Maybe not wings though. 🤔

Anytime man!

yea.. worked at a place that used to have legitimate cook offs.. I was only there long  enough to compete in the chili cook off.. came in second with an all white chicken chili.. my mistake was not using dairy (cheese and cream), because I wasn’t sure of peoples allergies.. lol

1 hour ago, Carter said:

Really looking forward to this game! I have no idea if we will win, but I think it will be a fun game.

Trying to get my game day food plan together. Wings is my go to and I'll make some other stuff to go with it, but I'm not sure yet what we'll do Saturday.

What are you fine folks gonna be cooking up or picking up this weekend?

Low country boil. 

On 10/11/2020 at 11:01 AM, mqg96 said:

The last 2 Alabama teams Georgia beat, was a 7-6 Bama team in Saban's 1st year, and that was his worst team, and Mark Richt's best team had to go to overtime in Tuscaloosa to barely beat them. In 2003, Georgia at home in Athens beat a 4-9 Mike Shula team in his 1st year. So basically, the last good or decent enough Alabama team Georgia beat was in 2002 in Tuscaloosa against Franchione's team who finished 10-3, and that was one of Mark Richt's best teams who finished 13-1 with a SEC title and Sugar Bowl win. So that's basically Georgia's last 3 wins over Bama in a nutshell. Only one of those victories were against a good team. 

Now, let's look at Georgia's 5 game losing streak to Bama. Those were all good Bama teams under Saban of course. 2008 Bama came into Athens against Georgia who did a blackout just like against Auburn in 2007, and it was the complete opposite, we wet the bed 1st half and were down 31-0, we came from behind 2nd half and made it 31-17 however Bama put the game away in the end and the final score was 41-30. That 2008 Bama team was their return to the college football world, they started 12-0 that year before losing to the eventual national champion Florida in the SEC title game, then they lost to Utah in the Sugar Bowl to finish with a final record of 12-2 that year. 2008 Georgia ended up taking a step back from 2007, finished 9-3 before winning a mediocre bowl to get to 10-3. Bama ended up winning the national championship the following year in 2009.

2nd game. 2012 SEC Championship. 2012 was Mark Richt's last great team with a lot of potential, we went 11-1 that year, as well as the 2012 Bama team as well who also went 11-1. That SEC Championship game was back & forth the whole time. Bama led 10-7 at the half, but Georgia ended up scoring 2 straight TD's including a blocked field goal by Alec Ogletree for a TD, and Georgia took a 21-10 lead, after that, Bama came from behind, scored a TD and converted the 2 point conversation. It was like 21-18 before Bama led again 25-21, and then, Georgia took the lead again to make it 28-25. Then Bama had a huge TD pass to take a 32-28 lead. Georgia had a late drive and got to the goal line, we didn't spike the ball, an unfortunate tip to a receiver makes the clock run out and we lose a super heartbreaker. Costs us a chance to go to the national championship in Miami against Notre Dame (who we would have beaten, no different than 1980, 2017, and 2019). Georgia had to settle for the Capital One Bowl instead, while Bama went on to win the national championship in a blowout win over Notre Dame.

3rd game. 2015 game in Athens. This was by far the worst and most embarrassing of all the losses. This was a really bad Georgia team led by Greyson Lambert, and Mark Richt's final season too. It was tied 3-3 early on, but then Derrick Henry gashed the Georgia defense the rest of the way, and Georgia gave up a blocked punt, and a big TD pass, just like that, Bama was up 24-3, and then a pick six coming out of the half, Bama led 31-3, and then Bama led 38-3, it was just awful and forgettable. It rained that day. Georgia ended up having a garbage long TD run by Chubb to make it 38-10, but it was a complete mismatch all afternoon long. That Georgia team had a super cupcake schedule and the only good teams we faced all year, we lost to. Georgia surprisingly finished 9-3 that year and won a bowl game against Penn State for 10-3. Bama finished 11-1 that year, won the SEC championship and all playoff games to win the national championship at 14-1. 

4th game. 2017-18 National Championship. This game was very similar to the 2012 SEC Championship. Georgia was in Atlanta again but this time in Mercedes Benz. Georgia had their best season since 1982 basically, and would have been our best since 1980 had we won. We went 11-1 that year, won against Notre Dame in South Bend, IL, dominated Florida in Jacksonville in blowout fashion, won the SEC title in a rematch against Auburn, won the Rose Bowl against Heisman winner Baker Mayfield and Oklahoma in Pasadena, CAL. Chubb and Michel were flying high as an epic senior duo running back combination. Lots of senior leadership & 1st round draft picks on that Georgia team in general with Lorenzo Carter, Roquan Smith, and much more. It was such an epic year for us. Bama however, finished 11-1, didn't win the west, and still got in the playoffs as the #4 seed. So here we go, the national championship game ends up being Georgia vs. Bama. We thought this was going to be our revenge match for the 2012 SEC championship and even 2015 blowout in Athens to cap off a perfect comeback season for us. Unfortunately, the outcome didn't go in our favor. Georgia had another lead on Bama and eventually ended up blowing it. However, there were many calls that the refs screwed up that went in Bama's favor many times. Regardless, Georgia still took a 20-7 lead (Fromm to Mecole for a big bomb TD) and we ended up blowing it at the end. Hurts plays awful in the 1st half, Tua gets put in for the 2nd half, and the rest was history. This would have been Georgia's first national title since 1980, but we blew it at the end in OT by giving up a 2nd & 26 bomb for a TD win. 26-23. 

5th game. 2018 SEC Championship. Georgia went 11-1 for the 2nd year in a row. Bama went 11-1 this year and won the west. There's not much to say about this game. It was an absolute nightmare for Georgia. Self inflicted wounds. This was the game we knew, that Georgia just can't mentally get past Bama no matter what. So we dominate Tua and we take him out in the 4th quarter, then Hurts comes in and he comes back on us and we can't win the game? We were up 28-14 in this one, then we blew it and lost 35-28. So you're telling me, for the 3rd straight time Georgia faces Bama in Atlanta, Georgia has a lead and blows it in the 4th quarter.... This game really made me sick and it's hard to believe we just let it go. Granted, 2018 Georgia was a step back from 2017, but still. Georgia had no business losing this game after taking a 28-14 lead. But it happened. It really showed that we we're just mentally broken every time we face Nick Saban and Bama. Georgia went on to finish 11-3 with a Sugar Bowl loss to Texas. Bama won a playoff game with a 14-0 start before losing the national championship to Clemson in blow out fashion and finishing 14-1. 

Georgia has the talent to compete with Bama, but I don't care how close the game is, you have to be on the winning side. Moral victories don't count. I'm not confident that Georgia will come into Tuscaloosa and do it after this 5 game losing streak. Different teams, but same old story. However, we'll see. Saban will be mad at his defense after their performance against Ole Miss, which doesn't work in Georgia's favor with an offense that's still questionable. Georgia has the defense, don't get me wrong, but it's Bama & Nick Saban, who hasn't lost to an assistant, including Kirby twice. We'll have to see next week. I'm not saying much. I just want to see the game on the field. 

that 2006 team was not cmrs best buddy

1 hour ago, UGABOZ said:

that 2006 team was not cmrs best buddy

2007!!! Get the year right. That Georgia team with Matt Stafford and Knowshon Moreno!!! They came together the 2nd half of the year and they were unstoppable, but too bad they slipped up against South Carolina & Tennessee the 1st half of the year, then Tennessee had the head to head to win the East. Georgia finished 11-2 with a dominant Sugar Bowl win over Hawaii. On paper that was Mark Richt's most dominant team on both sides of the ball, especially by the 2nd half of that year.

5 hours ago, putnam6 said:

They are gonna  gave to play with a **** ton of swagger and confidence. pretty much perfect in all 3 facets of the game. I'd say they got a 1 in 7 chance of pulling off the upset. 

Dawgs have a MUCH higher chance than 1 in 7 of pulling off the upset.  Have you watched both Bama and Georgia play this year?

I think we’re gonna see a lot of soft coverage and deep safety help most of the game. Our biggest weakness has been giving up big plays in the passing game and Mac jones throws the deep ball as good as Tua if not better. I think Kirby will force them to put long drive together and use the short field going into the red zone as an advantage. 

offensively we need to street balanced but we absolutely have to establish the run game. If we can get up early and play with a lead we can sic the kraken that is our lb core after the qb and let them take the game over. Our front 7 is talented and athletic enough to overwhelm anyone, including Alabama, if they can pin their ears back and attack the qb. 

I can see this being a 28-27 triple win for the dogs with a strip sack to close it out or a 35-24 game for the tide if we can’t contain their passing game. 

I am really looking forward to this game! We just got tickets and can't wait to visit T-Town, see my kids, and watch a great football game.

I think this will be a real SEC game, unlike the game we played against Ole Miss. Kiffin had been planning for that game since he got the job there and threw everything he had at us. Our guys just couldn't keep up and don't blame them really, I mean when the other team is snapping the ball repeatedly with 29-30 seconds on the play clock, defenders are going to get tired. Glad we got the win, now on to playing some real football.

I think GA and Bama match up well, it's going to be a great game, as it always is. I would never ever try pick a winner, because both teams are just that good.

I hope there are no injuries and I hope that the refs behave and don't become a factor in the game.

The key for the defense is will our dbs have eyes in the backfield.. If they do because we are afraid of containing harris then bama will score a lot of points throwing over top to waddle and smith.  Our front 7 has to be able to stop the run or slow it down and let our dbs handle their guys.  we must get pressure on mack wilson, but be careful to be disciplined so they don't screen us to death.  on offense if we can sustain drives and limit their opportunities I feel pretty terrific in our defense hanging with them into the 2nd half.  we can't turn the ball over period.. that offense is so prolific we can't give them short fields.. make them earn it. 

7 hours ago, Is This What You Want? said:

Dawgs have a MUCH higher chance than 1 in 7 of pulling off the upset.  Have you watched both Bama and Georgia play this year?

I guess you are taking the 5 strike that 6 points then.

If Georgia plays like they did the first half in Arkansas they will get smoked, if they play like they did the first half against Tennessee they will get smoked. Auburn was the only complete game they have played and that was Auburn and they aren't all that good. Bama will be the best team Georgia faces all year, it will be a huge test for the OL and Stetson along with the running game. Like I said they will have to play pretty much perfect the whole game, can't have a half of a game against Bama in Tuscaloosa and expect to win. Georgia's defense gives them a puncher's chance for the upset and they call it an upset for a reason. 

6 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

I guess you are taking the 5 points then.

If Georgia plays like they did the first half in Arkansas they will get smoked, if they play like they did the first half against Tennessee they will get smoked. Auburn was the only complete game they have played and that was Auburn and they aren't all that good. Bama will be the best team Georgia faces all year, it will be a huge test for the OL and Stetson along with the running game. Like I said they will have to play pretty much perfect the whole game, can't have a half of a game against Bama in Tuscaloosa and expect to win.

Both teams are going to have play a full 60 minutes.

Mistakes by either team could be a disaster. Both these teams are so good and will take advantage of the mistakes made by the other team.

1 minute ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Both teams are going to have play a full 60 minutes.

Mistakes by either team could be a disaster. Both these teams are so good and will take advantage of the mistakes made by the other team.

I just think Bama has less question marks than Georgia. Would I love a Georgia win of course LOL. Mac Jones does have a great deep ball and has plenty of targets, and Harris is as good of a back in the nation. Bennett has played great and really like the guy, but this is the best defense he has ever faced, and Georgia's running game isn't clicking on all cylinders yet. 

But I guess I'm old school and remember Vince would before a game make Georgia sound like crap and make Vandy or whomever they were facing seem like, well Alabama . Would have preferred this game later in the year.

14 minutes ago, putnam6 said:

I just think Bama has less question marks than Georgia. Would I love a Georgia win of course LOL. Mac Jones does have a great deep ball and has plenty of targets, and Harris is as good of a back in the nation. Bennett has played great and really like the guy, but this is the best defense he has ever faced, and Georgia's running game isn't clicking on all cylinders yet. 

But I guess I'm old school and remember Vince would before a game make Georgia sound like crap and make Vandy or whomever they were facing seem like, well Alabama . Would have preferred this game later in the year.

Well, since we are both bagging on our own team, our defense has really struggled against the run. I am not even considering the Ole Miss game, that was just stupid. I mean in the other games, we had trouble. And for some unknown reason we still can't defend the screen. I think Kirby will take advantage of that.

Once again, our DB's are young and give up some big plays, if Stetson sees it, that would be big plays for you guys.

I am nervous, I am always nervous when we play GA. GA is a very good team and your defense could cause us trouble, if y'all shut us down, you win. That will be the deciding factor in the game in my opinion. Your offense plays into our defense and I think we will be ok, not great, there, but your defense is the key to the game.

4 minutes ago, BamaBirdLady said:

Well, since we are both bagging on our own team, our defense has really struggled against the run. I am not even considering the Ole Miss game, that was just stupid. I mean in the other games, we had trouble. And for some unknown reason we still can't defend the screen. I think Kirby will take advantage of that.

Once again, our DB's are young and give up some big plays, if Stetson sees it, that would be big plays for you guys.

I am nervous, I am always nervous when we play GA. GA is a very good team and your defense could cause us trouble, if y'all shut us down, you win. That will be the deciding factor in the game in my opinion. Your offense plays into our defense and I think we will be ok, not great, there, but your defense is the key to the game.

I'm a little nervous every game Georgia plays, too many years of having a game jump up and bite them on the *** every season. When's the last time Bama lost to South Cackalac at home?