2020-21 MLB Off-Season Thread

AUTiger7222

8 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Dodgers now $30M OVER the luxury tax. Theyre still the leader to sign Turner as well. I know it'll never happen but this is why a hard cap is needed. Dodgers can easily outspend anyone. 

This is why I've argued that the luxuary tax is a joke and MLB needs a legit salary cap along with a salary floor. NFL needs a salary floor. NHL is the only sport with salary cap and floor and it keeps teams becoming super dynasties. Yeah, you still get the team that's legit Stanley Cup contenders 3 or 4 years in a row but after that they got to break up the band and start over. They can't afford to do it 6, 8, 10 years because of the cap.

12 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

This is why I've argued that the luxuary tax is a joke and MLB needs a legit salary cap along with a salary floor. NFL needs a salary floor. NHL is the only sport with salary cap and floor and it keeps teams becoming super dynasties. Yeah, you still get the team that's legit Stanley Cup contenders 3 or 4 years in a row but after that they got to break up the band and start over. They can't afford to do it 6, 8, 10 years because of the cap.

Bauer's 2021 salary will be more than the entire O's, Pirates and Cleveland payrolls. 

People are freaking out over Bauer and the dodgers but they forget that in baseball...**** happens.

I mean the braves had 3 hall of fame pitchers at the same time to go along with several other all star caliber pitchers  through out the years with a HOF manager and HOF 3rd baseman and a couple other fringe HOF players....yet still only got 1 ring in 14 straight division championships.

3 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

The NFL has a de facto salary floor. Teams have to spend a certain percentage of their cap over a number of years to be in compliance. It’s never really an issue because NFL teams don’t generally underspend over a period of years. 

24 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

People are freaking out over Bauer and the dodgers but they forget that in baseball...**** happens.

I mean the braves had 3 hall of fame pitchers at the same time to go along with several other all star caliber pitchers  through out the years with a HOF manager and HOF 3rd baseman and a couple other fringe HOF players....yet still only got 1 ring in 14 straight division championships.

But they added him to a team that actually won the World Series last year. That's a problem.

Plus it's the Dodgers, **** the Dodgers. 

24 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

It's about the amount of money the Dodgers have to spend and far less about the roster its self. When you have 1 player making more than a handful of entire teams there's a major major major issue with the way the system is setup. Dodgers payroll this year is probably gonna be like $250M or higher.

25 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

The NFL has a de facto salary floor. Teams have to spend a certain percentage of their cap over a number of years to be in compliance. It’s never really an issue because NFL teams don’t generally underspend over a period of years. 

I realize they have that in place. But it seems like the same handful of teams are in the bottom of NFL payroll on a yearly basis. Teams that rarely spend big money after going into free agency with the most cap space to spend with every year.

I just went and tried to find the numbers and I can only go back to 2018 unless I buy a subscription on spotrac, but look at the Jets ranks in spending for the last 3 seasons, 28th (2018), 29th (2019), 32nd (2020). Unless they open up the wallet during free agency this year they're gonna rank near the bottom again in 2021. So, despite the system in place, teams still find a way to not spend.

MLB will divide the Grapefruit League into two leagues. Itll be East and West coast. The teams will be assigned based on their location in Florida, you'll only play the teams lumped into your pod during spring. Any extra games needed will be intrasquad games like Spring 2.0 last year. 

Protocols for health and safety are expected to be wrapped up very soon. The DH is not expected to be part of it. Union wants the DH but the owners are against it. Players will have to give in to the expanded playoffs to get the DH.

46 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Protocols for health and safety are expected to be wrapped up very soon. The DH is not expected to be part of it. Union wants the DH but the owners are against it. Players will have to give in to the expanded playoffs to get the DH.

The deal is done. 7 innings for doubleheaders and runner on 2B are officially official. Both of those were wanted by both sides. As expected the DH will not be included. That looks like a battle that will be had after the season for the new CBA. Pitchers back up to the plate for one more season.