2020-21 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baseball really needs a salary cap and salary floor.

After missing last season battling colon cancer, Trey Mancini has reported to O's camp and intends to play a full season. 

I'm all for chaining Mookie to the ground next time we play.

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Masahiro Tanaka is headed back to Japan. Hes signed a new deal to return to the Japanese League. Tanaka finishes his MLB career after 7 years, $155M,  78 wins and a 3.74 ERA. He posted a 3.33 in 10 October starts.

Tells you a lot when the second-best starting pitcher on the market takes a look around and decides to literally take his ball and go home.

4 hours ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

Ugh, have not been happy with this offseason. Sigh. 

I don't think anyone is legit happy about this offseason and if they are they're ******* liars. Plain and simple. We've spent a grand total of $26M on MLB contracts this offseason and $11M of that is due to a guy who could easily come out and throw up a 6 ERA given his track record. Every other signing by the Braves this offseason has been a minor league contract. It's ******* ridiculous that AA would blow all his wad on the first couple of days off free agency and especially half of it to Smyly. I don't care that they were "rumored" to be in on George Springer or J.T. Realmuto or Justin Turner or Joc Pederson or Nolan Arenado or Kris Bryant or Matt Chapman or whomever else you want to include on that. I can throw out my own rumor and it wouldn't come anywhere near being anymore accurate than any of those other "rumors." This offseason ******* sucks.

1 hour ago, jidady said:

I don't understand the money with Arenado. It seems like the Rockies could have just paid him for this season and then let him opt out. That strategy would have been cheaper, and it would have put the pressure on him.

I think it shows some serious buyer’s remorse on their part. $50m is a lot, but St. Louis could be on the hook for a lot more for a guy who might not be “that guy” soon. 

Tanaka said he wanted to remain in NY. Yankees made a low offer, they reportedly think Tanaka's stuff is starting to slip. Tanaka said he will consider returning to MLB after 2021 or 2022. He signed a 2 year deal in Japan but can opt out after 1 to return to the US.

9 hours ago, jidady said:

I don't understand the money with Arenado. It seems like the Rockies could have just paid him for this season and then let him opt out. That strategy would have been cheaper, and it would have put the pressure on him.

I suspect the relationship between Arenado and the team had become untenable.

Because, you know, the team being run by incompetent boobs. 

21 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Union expected to reject. Not known if they'll counter. MLB wants to delay Spring to March 22. Honestly don't know why you reject this.

I just read up on it and I have no idea how the players can walk away from this deal. 154 games of full pay is a heIl of a lot better than the 60 games prorated pay they had last year. Everyone agrees that DH in the NL is better for the game. I think expanded playoffs is better.

30 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Why does everyone hate expanded playoffs for baseball? I think 16 teams is too many but I think 12 teams would be great. I personally enjoyed what happened last October. But that's just me. I'll stand alone in my opinion like I do on 95% of topics.

I think it is the fact that it diminishes what is required to get into the playoffs.

When you have teams who finish below .500 and still make it...it feels watered down to me.

5 minutes ago, falconsd56 said:

I think it is the fact that it diminishes what is required to get into the playoffs.

When you have teams who finish below .500 and still make it...it feels watered down to me.

I don't think that would happen very often if it's only 12 teams. I mean how often has it happened in the NFL with a 12 team format?