2020-21 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baseball really needs a salary cap and salary floor.

After missing last season battling colon cancer, Trey Mancini has reported to O's camp and intends to play a full season. 

I'm all for chaining Mookie to the ground next time we play.

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Braves didn't sign Realmuto. Braves didn't sign Springer. Braves didn't sign Hendriks. Braves didn't sign Hand. There seems to be absolutely no hope of the Braves bringing back Ozuna, Melancon and/or Greene. WTH is AA doing? Not building a World Series winner!!

I see you're slowly coming around to my side about this guy.

5 minutes ago, Malachore said:

I see you're slowly coming around to my side about this guy.

I just don't get it. We were 1 win away from making the World Series with a roster that had no business being anywhere near that close and instead of doing everything necessary to put the Braves in the World Series all he's done is let the Padres and Mets improve while the Dodgers are still absolutely completely loaded. Braves meanwhile are weaker in the lineup and the bullpen than they were last October. WTH man? Brad Hand for $10.5M? No Thanks. George Springer for only 6 years and $150M ($25 AAV). No Thanks!! God this is frustrating!! It should be World Series or bust. But AA is operating as if just making October is good enough.

If we're really expecting Austin Riley, Drew Waters and Christan Pache to make up for the loss of Ozuna and d'Arnaud crashing back down to earth we're in deep ****.

41 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

I just don't get it. We were 1 win away from making the World Series with a roster that had no business being anywhere near that close and instead of doing everything necessary to put the Braves in the World Series all he's done is let the Padres and Mets improve while the Dodgers are still absolutely completely loaded. Braves meanwhile are weaker in the lineup and the bullpen than they were last October. WTH man? Brad Hand for $10.5M? No Thanks. George Springer for only 6 years and $150M ($25 AAV). No Thanks!! God this is frustrating!! It should be World Series or bust. But AA is operating as if just making October is good enough.

If we're really expecting Austin Riley, Drew Waters and Christan Pache to make up for the loss of Ozuna and d'Arnaud crashing back down to earth we're in deep ****.

Been saying he's afraid since year 1, he only does low risk signings. Yes the rotation was improved slightly but both were 1 year deals.

No players were elected to the HOF this year. Schilling had 71.1%. He needed just 16 more votes. Bonds had 61.8% and Clemens had 61.1%. Each of those 3 only have 1 more year of ballot eligibility remaining. After that itll be up to the committee to induct them. Those committees only meet once every 3 years to attempt inductions.

52 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Schilling has asked to be removed from the HOF ballot. He said he'll leave it up to the committee because they are "men whose opinions actually matter and are in a position to actually judge a player".

With an attitude like that, it's so hard to determine why people wouldn't vote for him!

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

How about this? Courtesy of Buster Olney, the Pirates have $3M on the books after the 2021 season. That $3M is a buyout of Polanco. Thats it, they have absolutely no other money tied up after the season. 

How is this possible, they don't count players who are up for arbitration?

19 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Welcome to the dark side.

13 minutes ago, ATL Fan in the DMV said:

That's crazy! Has that ever happened before? What a dumpster fire.

Teams have gotten pretty low during the tanking strategy but its mainly been Miami running into these type of situations. The union will likely file a grievance because they arent spending the revenue sharing money. 

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

Teams have gotten pretty low during the tanking strategy but its mainly been Miami running into these type of situations. The union will likely file a grievance because they arent spending the revenue sharing money. 

This is why I’m a believer in teams having to have a payroll at a certain level. Make it 50% of what the luxury tax threshold is. Then if they don’t meet that then they lose out on some of the revenue sharing. 

Edited by brdu4
1 hour ago, Malachore said:

Mets traded Matz to Blue Jays, looks like they are making room for Bauer. Must be nice to have a FO willing to win.

Maybe they'll sign Bauer, but they've trying to shed Matz all off-season. There was some thought they were going to non-tender him.

Even without Bauer, they have Jacob deGrom, Marcus Stroman, Carlos Carrasco, David Peterson, and Joey Lucchesi. Plus Syndergaard coming back at some point during the season. Matz would have been behind all of those guys in all likelihood, and that's a lot of salary for a sixth starter.

1 hour ago, brdu4 said:

This is why I’m a believer in teams having to have a payroll at a certain level. Make it 50% of what the luxury tax threshold is. Then if they don’t meet that then they lose out on some of the revenue sharing. 

If they have a cap -- and the way teams treat the luxury tax its effectively a cap -- there absolutely needs to be a floor.