2020-21 MLB Off-Season Thread

3 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Some HOF voters are asking the ballot be changed. They want certain character and integrity traits to be required to be present. Curt Schilling is the driving force behind this. Schilling is a well known QAnon supporter and supported the insurrection of Capitol Hill. There is now a push by some to have him effectively removed from ever being on the ballot.

They gunna go in and remove all the women beaters like Dimaggio?

• Replies 778
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baseball really needs a salary cap and salary floor.

After missing last season battling colon cancer, Trey Mancini has reported to O's camp and intends to play a full season. 

I'm all for chaining Mookie to the ground next time we play.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Theres some conflicting reports now that the reported push to change the ballot is overblown and just a small group in reality. Really it just comes down to what you believe right? Don't vote for them if you don't agree.

Pretty sure the mantra has always been vote for the player and not the person. These woke ******** are literally trying to ruin everything.

4 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Don’t forget about Babe Ruth and Ted Williams either. They wouldn’t have won any character awards

Truth be told most players from those eras would be disqualified today because the vast majority of them were pretty freaking racist.

That does not mean that they were not worthy of the hall of fame.

5 minutes ago, youngbloodz said:

Some people even wanted OJ to be removed from the Pro Football Hall of Fame

Had he been found guilty then that is one of those things that is an exception rather than the rule.

If you are found guilty of murdering another human being then you do not deserve to be celebrated in any form or fashion.

The mayors of cities in Arizona have asked MLB to postpone the Cactus League. They say they've met with MLB and are impressed by the plan but Maricopa County, home to Phoenix and Mesa, has one of the highest infection rates in the US. As a result those mayors with facilities in their cities are asking MLB to stand down.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

The mayors of cities in Arizona have asked MLB to postpone the Cactus League. They say they've met with MLB and are impressed by the plan but Maricopa County, home to Phoenix and Mesa, has one of the highest infection rates in the US. As a result those mayors with facilities in their cities are asking MLB to stand down.

Jayson Stark chimed in and said dont expect any delays. Players are looking at this as an attempt to shorten the season and pay less salary. They arent going for it and intend to report in a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Unknøwn said:

The union has rejected the proposal of universal DH and expanded playoffs. Negotiations ongoing.

Of course they have. I wouldn't expect anything less. I'm fully prepared to get another 60 game season that starts in July. Neither the owners or players give a rip about the fans. They're all arrogant selfish SOB's.

56 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Of course they have. I wouldn't expect anything less. I'm fully prepared to get another 60 game season that starts in July. Neither the owners or players give a rip about the fans. They're all arrogant selfish SOB's.

Yeah I dont understand. The reported deal was MLB gives the DH and the Union gives the expanded WC round. Not sure why the players rejected that.

49 minutes ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah I dont understand. The reported deal was MLB gives the DH and the Union gives the expanded WC round. Not sure why the players rejected that.

It's just so frustrating that they would care so little about the fans. If it weren't for the fans neither side would have money or a reason to play. Why wouldn't either side want DH and expanded playoffs? DH gives the players more job opportunities and playoffs also give players more opportunities to earn playoff bonus checks and things like that while putting more money in the owners pockets. Seems like a win/win to me.

It’s all about the money. The MLBPA wants more money from the playoffs if it’s expanded. From MLB Trade Rumors. 

Rosenthal notes that MLB’s latest offer included an extra $30MM or so to be divided up among players — up from $50MM in 2020’s expanded field — but team-side revenues would increase on a much greater basis. Under the traditional structure (i.e. pre-2020), players’ postseason shares are tied to gate revenue, while teams collect 100 percent of television revenues. Last year, in the absence of fans, players agreed to an expanded, 16-team playoff field that saw $50MM of television revenues divided among players.

From the players’ vantage point, postseason expansion is a double-edged sword. A greater chance to play in October could very well be appealing, but there are likely some who (like many fans) worry about “watering down” the field. Of greater concern is the manner in which postseason expansion could also impact free agency. The league would surely argue that increasing the field will motivate borderline clubs to spend more on the open market, thus making it a win for the players.

2 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

Yeah, Ken Rosenthal said the players feel teams will spend less if the playoff spots are easier to get. Both sides agree the DH needs to happen according to Ken but something needs to go back the other way. 

Well, the owners think something should go the other way. They think it should be expanded playoffs.

And the players are absolutely right to reject that, at least not without expansion going with it. It would certainly lower club spending, far more than adding the DH would add to it. 

3 hours ago, K26dp said:

Well, the owners think something should go the other way. They think it should be expanded playoffs.

And the players are absolutely right to reject that, at least not without expansion going with it. It would certainly lower club spending, far more than adding the DH would add to it. 

It would be a sure-fire way for a bad team to back into the playoffs after cutting payroll, with the owner parading around screaming “we can win even if don’t spend!!”