2020-21 MLB Off-Season Thread

• Replies 777
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Baseball really needs a salary cap and salary floor.

After missing last season battling colon cancer, Trey Mancini has reported to O's camp and intends to play a full season. 

I'm all for chaining Mookie to the ground next time we play.

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, Malachore said:

Pretty sure that's a big reason Bauer was so good this year. You don't just magically find a spin rate increase like his was this season.

A lot of people thought that. There was some speculation he would admit to it after he was awarded the Cy Young just to prove a point.

I don't think it was a big deal at first because hitters didn't want a guy throwing 98 losing control of a new slick ball. Now that pitchers have figured out how to increase spin rate using substances it has changed that original intent that everyone overlooked. Now it's a problem both ways.

8 hours ago, Unknøwn said:

MLB is reportedly losing $150M a year in revenue from ESPN. The new deal would earn them $550M a year compared to the $700M they got in the previous deal. In all MLB will earn $3.85B from the deal.

Also, to put the situation in context, ESPN will carry fewer games. So, MLB can and likely will make that money back by selling those games to others.

32 minutes ago, jidady said:

Also, to put the situation in context, ESPN will carry fewer games. So, MLB can and likely will make that money back by selling those games to others.

Wonder if we'll ever see the day when NBC or CBS jumps back in with baseball coverage? I mean, I think it would be huge for CBS since they'll be losing the rights to SEC football in a couple years. They'll want to find a way to recoup some of that lost revenue.

1 hour ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Wonder if we'll ever see the day when NBC or CBS jumps back in with baseball coverage? I mean, I think it would be huge for CBS since they'll be losing the rights to SEC football in a couple years. They'll want to find a way to recoup some of that lost revenue.

As long as Gary Danielson isn't calling games in CBS...

4 hours ago, jidady said:

MLB has a very interesting listicle: longest tenured player on every MLB team.

https://www.mlb.com/news/longest-tenured-player-on-each-mlb-team-c275256634

Albert Pujols is actually the second-longest tenured Angel behind Trout. That one surprised me.

I think it's surprising to look and realize that 2021 will be Pujols 10th season with the Angels. He only played 11 seasons in St. Louis. Pretty crazy when you think about it.

I feel the same way about Adam Vinatieri. Vinatieri was old when the Patriots got rid of him and he ended up spending more seasons with the Colts than he did the Patriots. Crazy.

12 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

@ATLBrave This was your guy.

Yeah. Based off the structure of that deal, I most definitely would have done it if I were Atlanta. Missed a really good opportunity to make the ‘pen even better, but still quite a few quality arms out there. Hand or Treinen should be guys we go hard after. 

12 minutes ago, ATLBrave said:

Yeah. Based off the structure of that deal, I most definitely would have done it if I were Atlanta. Missed a really good opportunity to make the ‘pen even better, but still quite a few quality arms out there. Hand or Treinen should be guys we go hard after. 

Really? You would have given a guy that is fixing to turn 32 that much guaranteed money? That's a little rich for my liking.

7 minutes ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Really? You would have given a guy that is fixing to turn 32 that much guaranteed money? That's a little rich for my liking.

His AAV is basically the same as what Smith is making and Hendriks might have been the most dominant reliever in baseball the past couple of years. If he’s not worth the $15m in the 4th year, you pay it out over several years. If he is, that isn’t a ton of money for a high-end RP.