Air Coryell: Arians & Koetter

Watching yesterday’s Bucs/Bears game reminded me once again why I hate the Air Coryell in today’s NFL.   The game has changed to such a degree that AC is no longer smart to run in the NFL.  In the 80’s, smart college teams moved the best athletes to the defensive side of the ball.  This has led to the modem defense, where linebackers & DE’s  run 4.5 & DT’s can lift trucks.   Asking your OL to hold up an extra half second in the name of explosive plays seems foolish

When they face elite defensive teams, the offense inevitably crumbles.  You’ll see holding penalties cause WR routes are longer.  You’ll see sacks & QB hits for the same reason.  Yesterday the Bears created pressure on 43% of Brady’s dropbacks but Arians refused to innovate.  Jones had 96 yards on 12 carries yet they continued to air it out.  Sounds exactly like Koetter vs the Bears.

And make no mistake, we are running Air Coryell with WCO terminology.  We’ve turned our back on outside zone for power running between the tackles preferred by Air Coryell scheme.  Very frustrating considering the OL is not built for it.

What I hate about this offense is that there is no creativity in routes or formations. We just line up & expect our WR to win their one on one match ups instead of scheming them open based off of the defensive coverage. Also Matt Ryan doesn’t have the arm talent to throw into tight windows when the play breaks down. 

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And make no mistake, we are running Air Coryell with WCO terminology.  We’ve turned our back on outside zone for power running between the tackles preferred by Air Coryell scheme.  Very frustrating considering the OL is not built for it.

This, to me, is what has stood out in regards to our running game. All that talk in training camp about the commitment to the outside zone scheme and how it would benefit the passing game....then we run traps, pulls, and power running schemes. Also, most of the PA is deep drops with long routes. Nothing quick hitting, no quick slants, no bootlegs for Matt. Really everything that should help Matt and the offense hum is the exact opposite that we do.......

Edited by Goober Pyle
40 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

This, to me, is what has stood out in regards to our running game. All that talk in training camp about the commitment to the outside zone scheme and how it would benefit the passing game....then we run traps, pulls, and power running schemes. Also, most of the PA is deep drops with long routes. Nothing quick hitting, no quick slants, no bootlegs for Matt. Really everything that should help Matt and the offense hum is the exact opposite that we do.......

And the stupid part is once you see the data, we are great running outside the tackles and crap between the tackles.  Just look at the data below and look at the number of rushes in each gap.  It’s illogical

Running outside the tackles our success rate is 64%.  Between the tackles it’s 40%.  But only 1/3 of our attempts are wide.  

4hxwhk.jpg

37 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Yeah, even the PA playcalls have become quite predictable. When's the last time we've seen a quick throw off a PA pass in shotgun? Matt's bread and butter are short to intermediate throws

2 minutes ago, opensource001 said:

I have come to the decision that the reason Koetter runs AC is because it hides how bad he is st being an OC.  He's always had teams with high yardage, but low points.   That makes alot of people think that "next year it's gonna click" when in fact it's not.

That’s why I made this last night

4hwqng.jpg

2 hours ago, NUPE said:

What I hate about this offense is that there is no creativity in routes or formations. We just line up & expect our WR to win their one on one match ups instead of scheming them open based off of the defensive coverage. Also Matt Ryan doesn’t have the arm talent to throw into tight windows when the play breaks down. 

The NFL's advance passing metrics say the arm is not dead yet, but it could be declining. He is 5th in the NFL in passing while throwing into tight windows at the tenth highest rate in the NFL. While his actual complete percentage and passer rating are down compared to the last few years, his actual completion percentage this year is still 2% above his expected completion percentage based on the high number of tight window throws. 

The stats are HERE if your curious. 

My personal assessment is that he has periods of time where the ball just looks dead coming out of his hand. The first few weeks of last season had that visual, then he appeared to work out of it. I think he needs to do the old-man veteran thing and back off on his reps during the week. Do the flexibility and strength work, but no need to throw the arm off the shoulder. I'm ready to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round QB and get ready to hand the keys over in a couple of years. I have to hope we are going to win our way out of top 5 pick territory. 

23 minutes ago, falcndave said:

The NFL's advance passing metrics say the arm is not dead yet, but it could be declining. He is 5th in the NFL in passing while throwing into tight windows at the tenth highest rate in the NFL. While his actual complete percentage and passer rating are down compared to the last few years, his actual completion percentage this year is still 2% above his expected completion percentage based on the high number of tight window throws. 

My personal assessment is that he has periods of time where the ball just looks dead coming out of his hand. The first few weeks of last season had that visual, then he appeared to work out of it. I think he needs to do the old-man veteran thing and back off on his reps during the week. Do the flexibility and strength work, but no need to throw the arm off the shoulder. I'm ready to pick up a 2nd or 3rd round QB and get ready to hand the keys over in a couple of years. I have to hope we are going to win our way out of top 5 pick territory. 

He still has zip on the ball when he is able to step into it, but he is taking a beating in Koetter's dated 7 step drop offense. He is getting happy feet in the pocket and it is impacting his play. He got tee'd off on in the Bears game and he has not looked comfortable since.

3 hours ago, NUPE said:

Well said. This style of offense is about having a cannon arm, good scrambling ability, and big mauling offensive lineman. We have none of those things. 

13 minutes ago, Butudontseeme™ said:

This response says a lot... DK feeling a lot of pressure seems like.

Ok, I know that coverage dictates where the ball goes, but howzabout you start calling plays that are designed to get your playmakers open? A passive offense that takes what the defense gives is being dictated to. Good OC's know how to get their playmakers the ball and dictate TO the defense....

9 minutes ago, Goober Pyle said:

Ok, I know that coverage dictates where the ball goes, but howzabout you start calling plays that are designed to get your playmakers open? A passive offense that takes what the defense gives is being dictated to. Good OC's know how to get their playmakers the ball and dictate TO the defense....

Calvin Ridley is somewhere saying THANK YOU!

2 hours ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

And the stupid part is once you see the data, we are great running outside the tackles and crap between the tackles.  Just look at the data below and look at the number of rushes in each gap.  It’s illogical

Running outside the tackles our success rate is 64%.  Between the tackles it’s 40%.  But only 1/3 of our attempts are wide.  

4hxwhk.jpg

Love that someone else uses his site. So much good stuff on there.

3 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

I meant to add that comment to that post... you’re exactly right. especially with all the playmakers we have. They should be able to target basically anyone they want with all of those pass catchers. Poor OC work and imagination to not be able to dictate to the defense what we’re doing GOING to do with the talent our offense has. 

3 hours ago, Jpg428gggg said:

He still has zip on the ball when he is able to step into it, but he is taking a beating in Koetter's dated 7 step drop offense. He is getting happy feet in the pocket and it is impacting his play. He got tee'd off on in the Bears game and he has not looked comfortable since.

About arm strength in Week 4, correct. Weeks 1 and 2....not so much. No QB looks good under pressure...not even Tom Brady or Drew Brees. Remember how impotent Brees looked in the first game last year while getting pounded? No one is immune from that. The arm is a bigger concern to me. 

6 hours ago, Goober Pyle said:

This. It would help the passing game too, get people moving side to side and move Matt off the marker. CMon DK!!

5 hours ago, falcndave said:

By arm talent I mean that he has trouble driving that ball down field. He arcs his passes too much. Not necessarily throwing the ball 50 yards but fitting it in between the sideline and defender or 2 defenders. Prime example was the GB game 

5 hours ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Well said. This style of offense is about having a cannon arm, good scrambling ability, and big mauling offensive lineman. We have none of those things. 

Nope, and Koetter his horrible at calling a run game. He historically always have been bad at that