A TDWII Exercise: So How Did Ryan Perform in Those Pre-Quinn Collapses?

3 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

My response here is the same as upthread to a similar response...which I expected.

This one is actually a better point than my original one...because it hits a larger number of games.  I knew of these stats but was too lazy to look them up.

If your point is solely Ryan played badly in these 5 games in the 4th quarter...OK.

If your point is Ryan is the reason the team loses a lot of those games when the offense scores a lot of points...you're going to have a much harder time.  

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are talking about 5 collapses against how many 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives?  I'm not going to spend a lot of time here linking and posting. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm

So we are good on appropriate insults?  Asking for a friend...

Posted Images

31 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

Seriously with these Ryanhate threads. . . this whole argument makes as much sense as being on a plane with both engines out and complaining to the stewardess that your earbuds are tangled

No bro, you don’t get it.

When Ryan has a perfect game and we lose; AND when Ryan has an off game and we lose...only HE can be blamed for the Loss.

His play doesn’t matter. The result is on him not the defense/coaching.

Like, seriously, we had a game just last year where Ryan put up numbers NO ONE has lost with before.

But we lost.

These handful of instances; which EVERY. SINGLE. QB. HAS...of not finishing the 4th Q well and not scoring more as an offense? Does not absolve the defense; especially if the Offense helped make the other team one dimensional and you still let them score too quickly.

The point of prevent is to make them eat clock when up multiple scores in the 2nd half.

Our defense? Translation: give up an 80 play TD drive on 5 plays and in under 2 mins.

But, if Ryan isn’t perfect all game while the other team’s offense and QB get to throw on our bottom tier defense?

lol blind leading blind with this logic.

13 minutes ago, Ergo Proxy said:

No bro, you don’t get it.

When Ryan has a perfect game and we lose; AND when Ryan has an off game and we lose...only HE can be blamed for the Loss.

His play doesn’t matter. The result is in him not the defense/coaching.

Like, seriously, we had a game just last year where Ryan put up numbers NO ONE has lost with before.

But we lost.

These handful of instances; which EVERY. SINGLE. QB. HAS...of not finishing the 4th Q well and not scoring more as an offense? Does not absolve the defense; especially Id the Offense helped make the other team one dimensional and you still let them score too quickly.

The point of prevent is to make them ya clock when up multiple scores in the 2nd half.

Our defense? Translation: give up an 80 play TD drive on 5 plays and under 2 mins.

But, if Ryan isn’t perfect all game while the other team’s offense and QB get to throw on our bottom tier defense?

lol blind leading blind with this logic.

Said it better than I ever could. I can't think of a game where when the offense sputtered the defense picked them up for the win. But the offense has bailed the defense out of plenty of games. There has to be a time where the defense can step up and make a play to end the game. Yes, I know Deion has done it a couple times but more often than not, the offense has to bail the defense out. 

This stat also blows my mind (even though it'll be twisted that the offense didn't score enough)

Since 2016, #Falcons are 2-21 (.087) when scoring fewer than 23 points in a game, the fewest wins and worst win% in the NFL in that time.

They're 0-18 when they score fewer than 20 points. Only the Bengals (0-30) are worse.

Edited by DirtyBird2
8 hours ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

You can have an awful game but put together one good drive, have your Kicker nail a winning kick and the QB gets the credit for a 4th quarter comeback and/or a game winning drive.

Ryan has 30 which is impressive (8th all-time) but let's be real, That stat is flawed. 

Agreed! One stat that I would like to know but don’t have the time to look up is how many of Matt Ryan’s game winning drives were drives where they needed a TD to win. I remember him leading drives to a lot of game winning FG’s. But out of that 30, I only remember about 5-6 games where he led them to a game winning TD to seal a victory. 

Edited by treboyplay
13 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Said it better than I ever could. I can't think of a game where when the offense sputtered the defense picked them up for the win. But the offense has bailed the defense out of plenty of games. There has to be a time where the defense can step up and make a play to end the game. Yes, I know Deion has done it a couple times but more often than not, the offense has to bail the defense out.

This stat also blows my mind (even though it'll be twisted that the offense didn't score enough)

Since 2016, #Falcons are 2-21 (.087) when scoring fewer than 23 points in a game, the fewest wins and worst win% in the NFL in that time.

They're 0-18 when they score fewer than 20 points. Only the Bengals (0-30) are worse.

Saints started winning again when they fixed their defense and stopped having Brees throw it well over 600+ times a season.

We’ve actually had stretches during our streaky seasons lately where there has been legitimately complimentary games from both defense and offense.

To your point, rarely the defense carrying the offense outright. I think they did that vs the Saints in 2017; when the defense was bad at getting off the field but limited RZ TDs and kept games close.

Lowest scoring game we have won since 2018; when the D fell off...23 points.

24 minutes ago, treboyplay said:

Agreed! One stat that I would like to know but don’t have the time to look up is how many of Matt Ryan’s game winning drives were drives where they needed a TD to win. I remember him leading drives to a lot of game winning FG’s. But out of that 30, I only remember about 5-6 games where he led them to a game winning TD to seal a victory. 

Depends on how you want to look at it, 16 if you are counting Ryan pass/run TDs. Or 21 if you are counting rush TDs by another player but MR drives them down to within 5 yards by passing.

He had 2 last year alone on his own

38 minutes ago, DirtyBird2 said:

Said it better than I ever could. I can't think of a game where when the offense sputtered the defense picked them up for the win. But the offense has bailed the defense out of plenty of games. There has to be a time where the defense can step up and make a play to end the game. Yes, I know Deion has done it a couple times but more often than not, the offense has to bail the defense out. 

This stat also blows my mind (even though it'll be twisted that the offense didn't score enough)

These stats floor me.  In other words three scores from the offense is the opening ante.  Ryan has to be at least above average just to give us a chance.  

16 minutes ago, Ghosts of Glanville said:

These stats floor me.  In other words three scores from the offense is the opening ante.  Ryan has to be at least above average just to give us a chance.  

Yeah, it was pretty mind blowing. Yes, Ryan has his flaws and has lost us a fair amount of games but to say he is no better than Sam Darnold or he is the main reason for all the blown leads because he happens to be the QB of ****ty teams is ridiculous. I will also note I am in the get Lawrence/Fields team so don't call me a "Ryan Apologist"

Whats bizarre is that the OP has had to pick and choose through the depths of history to prove his point and there are so many recent examples that prove otherwise.

2 of the last 3 games from last season the Falcons had 4th quarter drives to win or tie the game with Ryan at the helm and the Falcons won.

In the Arizona game, he drove the team down the field for a game tying touchdown, but Matt Bryant missed the extra point.  In the Thanksgiving game the Falcons were down 26-9 with 6:30 left in game...no Julio and no Hooper and a band of bums on the OL and he closed the gap to 26-18 but on final drive and Ryan got sacked 4 times in 6 plays. Trust me, I was there, Ryan was not responsible for 4 of 6 plays resulting in sacks. Of course, these were failed results, but the heart and competitiveness were there the entire time.

Thats why you see so many fans here stand up for this QB.  He's not everyone's dreamboat flashy QB, but the guy has fire... he's competitive and we have seen him take some really nasty shots on the field and get up and prepare and do it again. He gets the guys together for offseason workouts. He doesnt moan, he doesnt cry and before the season when the NFL was confused on how they would deal with social justice issues, he stood up first and took the bull by the horns.

He's OUR QB, and we will see him to the door when we determine he is ready.  Until then, GET THE F*** OFF MY FIELD.

Lots of dumb in this thread, and on the board in general these days.  These folks will most likely get what they deserve when Matt Ryan is gone.  I'm done defending Ryan, because his career needs no defense.  He's had a great career.  Not a good career, a great one, and he continues to perform well despite being surrounded by a clown show.  Anyone who continues to denigrate this QB is either pushing an agenda, or simply does not understand what they are watching.  Arguing with either is a waste of time.

23 hours ago, DirtyBird2 said:

The defense dominated vs the Panthers and Saints in Back to back games. They got the pick 6 to end it in week 17 vs Tampa. During that 8 game stretch they were very good aside from the one game vs Tampa we lost. Even in the Saints game we lost they played well. Shut down Shannys offense.

All of 2018 our defense saved our offense.

No doubt they were horrific first half of 2019 and the first 4 games of this year but lets not pretend they never have played well. 

Below are the Colts largest blown leads.   I count 3 blown 20 point leads by Manning and 9 blown 2 TD leads in just his Indy days.  And he had much better defense and coaching supporting him.  Is Manning not an all time great QB?  

Great QB’s build lots of big leads.  That’s the common denominator @TDWII

4i05y0.jpg

You do realize the similarities between Mike Smith and Dan Quinn are uncanny right? The shortcomings of the Falcons franchise during the Matt Ryan era comes from these two coaches not being prepared and not adjusting or countering ANYTHING the opposing team does. Other teams play chess while MS and DQ play checkers. One could just tip his cap and the other could just grab pom poms.

Dip shlt Kyle Shanahan threw away a Falcons championship in what should have never been allowed. You run the ball in that scenario. It also shouldn't have been allowed that he talked to the 49ers prior to the Falcons being eliminated. 

Lastly it's the Atlanta Falcons. Sometimes I can't help but believe they are just destined to be the laughingstock of football forever with a few moments of competition. 

4 minutes ago, 1989Fan said:

“Empty garbage time stats” 🤪

What's truly remarkable about how high up he is on the touchdowns and yards list is how far down the interceptions list he is. There's 59 players in the history of the NFL that's thrown more interceptions than Ryan. That's crazy when you look at his interception numbers compared to the people he's around in the TD and Yards ranks. If Ryan were such a bad QB wouldn't he have way more turnovers in his career? Only 2.1% of his passes have been intercepted. Drew Brees has thrown 2.3% of his passes for interceptions.

14 hours ago, AUTiger7222 said:

Only 8 men in the history of the NFL have more passing yards than Matt Ryan. Only 10 men in the history of the NFL have more touchdown passes than Matt Ryan. Only dumbs can sit here and say Matt Ryan sucks.

It’s observations like this which completely ignore the fact that the type of prolific passing numbers we see today are a rather recent development In NFL history.

Rules changes that protect the QB from getting slaughtered have contributed to that along with the outlawing of the type of decapitating hits WR’s used to be exposed to particularly over the middle of the field.

I mean do you think it’s an accident that when Matt Stafford passes Vinny Testaverde early next year that 11 of the top 15 QB’s in NFL in career passing yardage will have played the majority, if not all, of their careers in the 21st century?

Your argument on this basis is weak.

9 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

Your argument on this basis is weak.

‘Weak’ is constantly pointing out two anomalies in all time record QB lists (Stafford and Testaverde) while ignoring all of the HOFs surrounding Ryan in these same lists.  

Ryan next to Stafford:  Proves he sucks

Ryan next to Elway:  Doesn’t count