A TDWII Exercise: So How Did Ryan Perform in Those Pre-Quinn Collapses?

As many have looked to try and understand why the Falcons find themselves in the position they do today…there have been a lot of ‘culprits’ put up as sacrificial lambs as to why the Falcons are 14-22 in their last 36 and 53-63 in since the 2012 NFCCG collapse.  While the Falcons were generous enough to not snatch defeat out of the hands of victory against Green Bay this past week…the fact remains that the Falcons are a franchise in freefall. 

A lot of that blame is being placed at the feet of Dan Quinn (amongst others)…and I would not disagree that Quinn is a primary culprit in the decay of the Falcons culture.  He needs to go and needed to go back at the conclusion of the 2019 season.  His ‘See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil’ approach to the Falcons performance which includes one meaningful win since November 2018 is not only frustrating to listen to week after week, but also maddening to watch permeate a fanbase that refuses to acknowledge the culpability of certain sacred cows related to this mess.

Earlier this week, I put forth evidence that the collapse of this franchise, either measured on a week-to-week basis or a much longer period of time had roots prior to Quinn.  When you step back and see the picture as a whole…the turning point wasn’t 28-3, although that most certainly put the explanation point on cementing the legacy of the Ryan era, but rather the that 2012 NFCCG collapse.

The ‘WHAT ELSE HE SUPPPOSED TO DOOOOOO????!!!!”ers came out in full force.  And I thought it necessary to dive deeper into Ryan’s performance in those pre-Quinn collapses.

To refresh your memory in 5 collapses, the Falcons had built a cumulative lead of 106-54.  And Ryan was fire to those points in those respective games accumulating the following stat line:

75 Completions
111 Attempts
864 Passing Yards
67.6% Completion Rate
7.78 YPA
12 TD’s
3 INT’s
115.6 QB Rating

In short, Ryan was a key factor in building those leads.  Much like you’d expect a franchise QB to be.  Now to…close…those……….games………………..out.  Well, after that, Ryan’s stat like was, um….not good.

44 Completions
78 Attempts
487 Passing Yards
56.4% Completion Rate
6.24 YPA
0 TD’s
4 INT’s (and a fumble…don’t forget that perfectly snapped ball in the NFCCG)
53.74 Passer Rating (which doesn’t include the fumble)

Yes, folks…I bring you – Joey Harrington; The Sequel.  All prior to Quinn ever stepping foot in Flowery Branch.  To answer the question ‘WHAT ELSE IS HE SUPPOSED TO DOOOOOOOO????!!!!!’ my answer is…

NOT THAT!

But wait, there’s more…

I also brought up the Colts game in 2015…the game Quinn was introduced to the Mr. Hyde version of Matt Ryan when the Falcons had a big lead in the second half.  How’d he do in that one?

6/18 for 46 yards.  0 TD’s.  2 INT’s including a pick 6.  6 being the operative number there in that D’Qwell Jackson returned the INT 6 yards to put the Colts right back in that game.  I mean...a 6 yard pick-six? 🤢

Yes, folks…the culture of choking around these parts.  It predates Dan Quinn.  And if we’re going to go with a whole new regime, I’d just assume not plant that choking seed for a third time as part of the new foundation.

You’re welcome.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are talking about 5 collapses against how many 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives?  I'm not going to spend a lot of time here linking and posting. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm

So we are good on appropriate insults?  Asking for a friend...

Posted Images

We are talking about 5 collapses against how many 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives? 

I'm not going to spend a lot of time here linking and posting. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm so frustrated with this team I don't feel like defending anyone right now. That said, it is my opinion that the OP is based on a non-representative sample and the bias displayed is not going to drive anyone else off of theirs. 

7 minutes ago, falcndave said:

We are talking about 5 collapses against how many 4th quarter comebacks and game winning drives? 

I'm not going to spend a lot of time here linking and posting. It just isn't worth it to me. I'm so frustrated with this team I don't feel like defending anyone right now. That said, it is my opinion that the OP is based on a non-representative sample and the bias displayed is not going to drive anyone else off of theirs. 

In the original article that for me started this conversation/dialogue...the following statistic was borne out...

Since the beginning of the 2016 season, there have been 465 instances of an NFL team leading by at least 10 points at halftime of a regular season or postseason game. Combined, those teams have gone 422-41-2 in those games, good for a 0.910 winning percentage. Eight teams are undefeated with double-digit halftime leads, but only one has more than three losses. 

So in 4.25 seasons (68 games) the average NFL team lost approximately 1.3 games.   In a span of 33 games for the Falcons - they lost 5.  A rate that is in the vicinity of 7-8x the NFL average.

What is the point of this?  

Matt Ryan's peak is behind him.  This team is in disarray and will have to rebuild.  The most important block in the rebuild will be a new QB.  

If we can draft that next QB in the 2021 draft, we should.  And, we should let the kid learn behind Ryan for a season.  After that, we can trade Ryan for whatever we can get and build from there.

What is the point of knocking a guy that is heading out in due time?

26 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

In the original article that for me started this conversation/dialogue...the following statistic was borne out...

Since the beginning of the 2016 season, there have been 465 instances of an NFL team leading by at least 10 points at halftime of a regular season or postseason game. Combined, those teams have gone 422-41-2 in those games, good for a 0.910 winning percentage. Eight teams are undefeated with double-digit halftime leads, but only one has more than three losses. 

So in 4.25 seasons (68 games) the average NFL team lost approximately 1.3 games.   In a span of 33 games for the Falcons - they lost 5.  A rate that is in the vicinity of 7-8x the NFL average.

I am aware and I'm not attacking you or your work. I appreciate the contribution and you have a right to the underlying opinion. I do think your conclusions from the post as presented in title of this tread are an example of confirmation bias. The flaw isn't in the accuracy of the research, it is in the the premise that drove you to present it. I've done it 20 times in this forum. All humans form conclusions and present every piece of data we trip upon that supports the conclusion while discrediting those that call it into question. 

There are also discussions of special and common causes of variation in the data that are relevant, but then I'm a stats geek. Two of these games are within 8 days of each other. To me, that is an example of special cause variation(also known as assignable cause). The assignable cause, in my opinion, is that Dan Quinn head coached staffs are not adaptable. They do not vary their approach sufficiently based on situation. They prefer to believe in their personnel and what they do...and try to do it better than the opponent ("We chose to stay aggressive in that situation, etc.). So, the assignable cause I have proposed is plausible in 3 of the 5 data points...which potentially pulls the Falcons right down the league average. I can't prove that assignable cause, but I have enough evidence to confirm it in my own mind. 

45 minutes ago, falcndave said:

You can have an awful game but put together one good drive, have your Kicker nail a winning kick and the QB gets the credit for a 4th quarter comeback and/or a game winning drive.

Ryan has 30 which is impressive (8th all-time) but let's be real, That stat is flawed. 

So once again, in a game in which our QB plays great all game, but has a bad 4th quarter, we can't win.

That's evidence of a team not able to pull it together.  Your QB has a 115 QB rating through 3 quarters and you can't help him out in the 4th?

And again, when you're pulling the games in which a team surrendered a huge comeback, it means the offense did poorly (and the defense) so it means poor play.

It's like saying "in the quarters in which the team played poorly, the team played poorly."

6 minutes ago, PriMeTiiMe said:

You can have an awful game but put together one good drive, have your Kicker nail a winning kick and the QB gets the credit for a 4th quarter comeback and/or a game winning drive.

Ryan has 30 which is impressive (8th all-time) but let's be real, That stat is flawed. 

No problem with that. I appreciate the fact that he doesn't choke in the clutch. Although he displays that more than all but 3 active QBs (Brees, Brady, Roethlisberger), they are credited for the trait while he is deemed to be "overcoming his own mistakes." He plays in ATL. We all have to accept that sentiment. 

12 minutes ago, etherdome said:

What is the point of this?  

Matt Ryan's peak is behind him.  This team is in disarray and will have to rebuild.  The most important block in the rebuild will be a new QB.  

If we can draft that next QB in the 2021 draft, we should.  And, we should let the kid learn behind Ryan for a season.  After that, we can trade Ryan for whatever we can get and build from there.

What is the point of knocking a guy that is heading out in due time?

In due time?  What does that mean?  Does that 'due time' timeline pertain to DQ/TD as well?

The situation in KC worked because the QB Mahomes sat behind was Alex Smith, not perhaps the best player in franchise history.  I'll show Ryan repsect in that regard given his standing in franchise history. He should not be handed a 'dead man walking' status.  With the few years he has left...trade him to a place where he can continue a quest to 'ring' himself.

You may think it's 'knocking him'...but Ryan gets a free pass here in Atlanta for what's been when you look at the tableau of his career the last 7+ years, an underwhelming record.  But when the natives aren't restless, there's no reason to make a change.

For me the point is trying to provide emperical evidence that Ryan is as much a part of the problem that this franchises faces as anyone.  Not necessarily just because of his play, but because of his standing.

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

As many have looked to try and understand why the Falcons find themselves in the position they do today…there have been a lot of ‘culprits’ put up as sacrificial lambs as to why the Falcons are 14-22 in their last 36 and 53-63 in since the 2012 NFCCG collapse.  While the Falcons were generous enough to not snatch defeat out of the hands of victory against Green Bay this past week…the fact remains that the Falcons are a franchise in freefall. 

A lot of that blame is being placed at the feet of Dan Quinn (amongst others)…and I would not disagree that Quinn is a primary culprit in the decay of the Falcons culture.  He needs to go and needed to go back at the conclusion of the 2019 season.  His ‘See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil’ approach to the Falcons performance which includes one meaningful win since November 2018 is not only frustrating to listen to week after week, but also maddening to watch permeate a fanbase that refuses to acknowledge the culpability of certain sacred cows related to this mess.

Earlier this week, I put forth evidence that the collapse of this franchise, either measured on a week-to-week basis or a much longer period of time had roots prior to Quinn.  When you step back and see the picture as a whole…the turning point wasn’t 28-3, although that most certainly put the explanation point on cementing the legacy of the Ryan era, but rather the that 2012 NFCCG collapse.

The ‘WHAT ELSE HE SUPPPOSED TO DOOOOOO????!!!!”ers came out in full force.  And I thought it necessary to dive deeper into Ryan’s performance in those pre-Quinn collapses.

To refresh your memory in 5 collapses, the Falcons had built a cumulative lead of 106-54.  And Ryan was fire to those points in those respective games accumulating the following stat line:

75 Completions
111 Attempts
864 Passing Yards
67.6% Completion Rate
7.78 YPA
12 TD’s
3 INT’s
115.6 QB Rating

In short, Ryan was a key factor in building those leads.  Much like you’d expect a franchise QB to be.  Now to…close…those……….games………………..out.  Well, after that, Ryan’s stat like was, um….not good.

44 Completions
78 Attempts
487 Passing Yards
56.4% Completion Rate
6.24 YPA
0 TD’s

Yes, folks…I bring you – Joey Harrington; The Sequel.  All prior to Quinn ever stepping foot in Flowery Branch.  To answer the question ‘WHAT ELSE IS HE SUPPOSED TO DOOOOOOOO????!!!!!’ my answer is…

NOT THAT!

But wait, there’s more…

I also brought up the Colts game in 2015…the game Quinn was introduced to the Mr. Hyde version of Matt Ryan when the Falcons had a big lead in the second half.  How’d he do in that one?

6/18 for 46 yards.  0 TD’s.  2 INT’s including a pick 6.  6 being the operative number there in that D’Qwell Jackson returned the INT 6 yards to put the Colts right back in that game.  I mean...a 6 yard pick-six? 🤢

Yes, folks…the culture of choking around these parts.  It predates Dan Quinn.  And if we’re going to go with a whole new regime, I’d just assume not plant that choking seed for a third time as part of the new foundation.

You’re welcome.

We had an awesome great offensive coordinator during those chokes also. Even in 2016 we had trouble hanging on to big leads.

53 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

So once again, in a game in which our QB plays great all game, but has a bad 4th quarter, we can't win.

That's evidence of a team not able to pull it together.  Your QB has a 115 QB rating through 3 quarters and you can't help him out in the 4th?

And again, when you're pulling the games in which a team surrendered a huge comeback, it means the offense did poorly (and the defense) so it means poor play.

It's like saying "in the quarters in which the team played poorly, the team played poorly."

I love answers like this.  Here's why...this quote 'Your QB has a 115 QB rating through 3 quarters and you can't help him out in the 4th?' completely ignores that over a span of 198:05 of football, over 3.25 games of action, the Falcons defense gave up 51 points...what would amount to 16 PPG.

See what you did there?  You gave no credit to the team (or at least the defense) for it's performance up until the collapses, referencing instead Ryan's QB rating...then BLAMED EVERYONE ELSE when they 'couldn't help him out in the 4th quarter'.  Even though he is the franchise QB and LEADER of the franchise whose paycheck dwarfs most everyone on the roster.

Good times.  Keep 'em coming!

9 minutes ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

I love answers like this.  Here's why...this quote 'Your QB has a 115 QB rating through 3 quarters and you can't help him out in the 4th?' completely ignores that over a span of 198:05 of football, over 3.25 games of action, the Falcons defense gave up 51 points...what would amount to 16 PPG.

See what you did there?  You gave no credit to the team (or at least the defense) for it's performance up until the collapses, referencing instead Ryan's QB rating...then BLAMED EVERYONE ELSE when they 'couldn't help him out in the 4th quarter'.  Even though he is the franchise QB and LEADER of the franchise whose paycheck dwarfs most everyone on the roster.

Good times.  Keep 'em coming!

And here's the thing.  Average scoring in most of those years was 22 points per game.  So the defense playing amazingly and keeping the other team to 16 points in 3 quarters is...wait for it....AVERAGE!

So when our defense manages to play average for 3 quarters we are mesmerized.  When our QB plays radically above average, at an elite level for that same number of quarters, we think it's the same thing.

As I said, when you blow those leads it means both sides have played poorly.  And those are poor 4th quarters for Ryan.  But we think a guy not maintaining unsustainable levels is the same as a side not maintaining average levels.  It's the expectation.

I mean I have them too.  I know, generally speaking, if Ryan doesn't play well, we lose.  If he's thrown for 300 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs and then missed a 3rd down in the 4th quarter...I'm like "man, if Ryan had just completed that, we would have won."  But then I try to go look back and say...his body of work for this game was plenty to win.  The body of work for (defense, run game, OL) was too much to overcome.

And sometimes, like in old Arizona games, Ryan was the problem.  It's just generally not the case.

4 minutes ago, takeitdown said:

And here's the thing.  Average scoring in most of those years was 22 points per game.  So the defense playing amazingly and keeping the other team to 16 points in 3 quarters is...wait for it....AVERAGE!

So when our defense manages to play average for 3 quarters we are mesmerized.  When our QB plays radically above average, at an elite level for that same number of quarters, we think it's the same thing.

As I said, when you blow those leads it means both sides have played poorly.  And those are poor 4th quarters for Ryan.  But we think a guy not maintaining unsustainable levels is the same as a side not maintaining average levels.  It's the expectation.

I mean I have them too.  I know, generally speaking, if Ryan doesn't play well, we lose.  If he's thrown for 300 yards and 2 TDs and no INTs and then missed a 3rd down in the 4th quarter...I'm like "man, if Ryan had just completed that, we would have won."  But then I try to go look back and say...his body of work for this game was plenty to win.  The body of work for (defense, run game, OL) was too much to overcome.

And sometimes, like in old Arizona games, Ryan was the problem.  It's just generally not the case.

No, that 16 points/PPG stat, that's prorated over what would amount to full game production.  51 points given up over 198+ minutes of game action.  If we do the math more precisely, that's actually 15.44 PPG (not 3 quarters).  Or as I might define it...ELITE.  Only 2 teams from that 2013-2015 stretch averaged fewer PPG given up than the Falcons did in those stretches.

But did you see how your first instinct was to Protect The Precious at all costs?  To mangle the numbers so you could slander the defense and say their performance was average.  That instead of the defense letting down it's highest paid and most visible player, it might have been vice versa.  Since it's always the defense that bears the brunt of the criticism?  Not Ryan.

Matt Ryan threw a block that sprang Gurley to run for a touchdown!

That's something I thought I'd never see. Matt Ryan blocking or making a tackle.

I even thought he had a clause in his contract that prevented him from making a block or tackling. Yeah he could pretend like he was going to do it so that his team mates wouldn't think he's a wuss, but he actually DID IT!

As far as I'm concerned, the season can end right now. I've seen more than I expected.

3 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

75 Completions
111 Attempts
864 Passing Yards
67.6% Completion Rate
7.78 YPA
12 TD’s
3 INT’s
115.6 QB Rating

44 Completions
78 Attempts
487 Passing Yards
56.4% Completion Rate
6.24 YPA
0 TD’s

NOT THAT!

But wait, there’s more…

You’re welcome.

Can we see the rushing numbers in the second half of those games 

1 hour ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

No, that 16 points/PPG stat, that's prorated over what would amount to full game production.  51 points given up over 198+ minutes of game action.  If we do the math more precisely, that's actually 15.44 PPG (not 3 quarters).  Or as I might define it...ELITE.  Only 2 teams from that 2013-2015 stretch averaged fewer PPG given up than the Falcons did in those stretches.

But did you see how your first instinct was to Protect The Precious at all costs?  To mangle the numbers so you could slander the defense and say their performance was average.  That instead of the defense letting down it's highest paid and most visible player, it might have been vice versa.  Since it's always the defense that bears the brunt of the criticism?  Not Ryan.

No, that was just an honest mistake.

I do defend Ryan after the sort of off balance blame he takes in general.  He wasn't who I wanted to draft, and isn't my type of player.  But he has been the most consistent top level player we've had throughout.  And I can provide scores of data around how other QBs, when they have over 100 QB rating or throw 3 TD and no INT or play to some level, their team nearly always wins while that's not true of Ryan.

So on balance, the team lets Ryan down more than the reverse.  And I get tired of the "if this were A rod, etc. narrative."  The reality is those guys teams win even when they don't play great, and win very consistently when they do, and the Falcons can lose on both sides of that.

So if you found the one area where Ryan actually is as much at fault as the defense, congratulations.  As I've said throughout this, when you succumb to a large comeback, both sides play poorly.  It's defined.

But I did misinterpret the defensive data posted here.  I thought it was the standard if our defense plays anything other than dreadfully they did "their part" whereas if our passing offense plays anything other than extraordinary it's their fault.

They all look miserable to me right now, and I think coaching is a bigger deal than most do regarding the NFL, so at this point, it's all a train wreck.

3 hours ago, TheDirtyWordII said:

75 Completions
111 Attempts
864 Passing Yards
67.6% Completion Rate
7.78 YPA
12 TD’s
3 INT’s
115.6 QB Rating

44 Completions
78 Attempts
487 Passing Yards
56.4% Completion Rate
6.24 YPA
0 TD’s

NOT THAT!

But wait, there’s more…

You’re welcome.

What are your parameters for "closing out a game"? Start of the 2nd half? Start of the 4th?