Dan Quinn’s job status has not been discussed by Falcons - AJC

by DLed for the AJC

Despite his team’s a 0-4 start, Falcons coach Dan Quinn’s job status has not been discussed within the upper reaches of the franchise, according to a person familiar with the situation.

“We haven’t talked about it yet,” that person said Wednesday. “I’m not sure what’s going to happen. I know we’re going to still support what’s going on and hopefully (the team) can eventually turn the corner and bring it all together.”

The Falcons are off to their third consecutive slow start under Quinn, who’s only the second coach to guide the team to the Super Bowl.

In 2018, the team lost four of its first five games before finishing with a 7-9 record. The team was beset with injuries and never recovered. Last season, the Falcons were 1-7 in the first half of the season and 6-2 in the second half to again finish 7-9.

Falcons owner Arthur Blank elected to stick with Quinn with the hopes that continuity was the best course for the franchise. He stated repeatedly that he expected the Falcons to be competitive in 2020 and earn a playoff berth. With the expanded playoffs, the Falcons need to get in gear.

After losing 30-16 to Packers this week on “Monday Night Football,” Quinn noted that the “nothing has been decided.”

Defensive end Dante Fowler noted that basically it’s a 12-game season remaining, with six games against teams in the NFC South.

But the Falcons have not played inspired football. They blew two double-digit fourth-quarter leads and were widely ridiculed when they didn’t fall on an onside kick at the end of the Dallas game. That miscue led to a 40-39 loss.

While promoting his new book “Good Company,” Blank spoke about that play. He said he thought the players didn’t know what to do, which went against the statements of Quinn and special-teams coordinator Ben Kotwica.

The Falcons need to start putting together whole games, by playing one play at a time to have an opportunity, the person familiar with Quinn’s situation said.

Quinn, who guided the Falcons to Super Bowl LI, has built an incredible amount of goodwill with how he handled the team after the Super Bowl collapse and through the coronavirus pandemic. After the collapse from a 28-3 lead against the Patriots, the Falcons returned to the playoffs the following season, but lost to the Eagles in the divisional round when a potential game-winning drive stalled on the 1-yard line. The Eagles went on to win the Super Bowl.

Quinn is going to get an opportunity to dig out of this 0-4 hole.

The team needs to play better in close games and understand situational football. The players have to execute Quinn’s schemes.

“If you look at them, one minute it’s like, ‘Wow,’” the person familiar with Quinn’s status said. “Another minute, you can just see that there (were no exhibition games), but that’s something that all teams are dealing with, not just the Falcons. That can’t be the excuse. You have to still go out and execute.”

The players are playing themselves in game shape, and the Falcons have been hit with several soft-tissue injuries, including wide receiver Julio Jones' hamstring.

“We all have to have trust that they eventually turn the corner and execute,” the person said.

Falcons’ next four games

Panthers at Falcons at 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 11

Falcons at Vikings at 1 p.m. Sunday, Oct. 18

Lions at Falcons at 1 p.m. Sunday Oct. 25

Falcons at Panthers at 8:20 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 29

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

And while I appreciate guys like McGary and others defending Quinn.  I'm sorry I don't want to hear it anymore.  At the end of the day this is a business not a circle of best friends.  Wish someone in

oh boy... I can't wait to go on a meaningless late season rally to cost us a top 5-10 pick AGAIN for the 3rd year in a row just for zero of that "momentum" to carry into the next season.

Interesting. I mean I'm all for giving 'your' guys breathing room, but at this point isn't DQ who we think he is. A guy who can lead a team on horrific losing streaks year after year. There's nothing

Posted Images

To the OP it's really not all that surprising.  Blank doesn't fire mid season.  I was wondering if a MNF disaster would be enough, it wasn't, so I honestly don't see it happening until after the season.  We have 12 more weeks of Dan Quinn.

If he is here after those 12 weeks, I'm done.  Refuse to support a franchise who employs perennial losers like Quinn and co.

And while I appreciate guys like McGary and others defending Quinn.  I'm sorry I don't want to hear it anymore.  At the end of the day this is a business not a circle of best friends.  Wish someone in that locker room did what JJ did.

But we have a roster full of spineless players because they buy into a spineless coach.

9 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Falcons are banking on us winning, at minimum, 4 of our next 5 games.  Getting to 6-6 is not unreasonable 

I think Quinn also has more leeway this year because of the debut of a 3rd wild card playoff spot this season.

A team could possibly have an 8-8 record and still get into the playoffs without winning their division.

6 minutes ago, athell said:

And while I appreciate guys like McGary and others defending Quinn.  I'm sorry I don't want to hear it anymore.  At the end of the day this is a business not a circle of best friends.  Wish someone in that locker room did what JJ did.

But we have a roster full of spineless players because they buy into a spineless coach.

I don't think loosing was the only thing that got O'Brien fired. His own players also didn't like him that much.

There were reports that he and Hopkins didn't have a good relationship. Good chance Hopkins wasn't the only one.

16 minutes ago, FalconsIn2012 said:

The Falcons are banking on us winning, at minimum, 4 of our next 5 games.  Getting to 6-6 is not unreasonable 

But who cares? I am not interested in seeing my team squander the first half of every season. How on earth could anyone be willing to accept that?

8 minutes ago, athell said:

Right? It's weird how the leaders on this team are so unbelievably loyal to the HC. Even Smitty, you could tell Ryan, Roddy, and Julio all were 100% behind him 

5 minutes ago, DonOfThemBirds said:

I don't think loosing was the only thing that got O'Brien fired. His own players also didn't like him that much.

There were reports that he and Hopkins didn't have a good relationship. Good chance Hopkins wasn't the only one.

That is the key difference.  But at the end of the day, are friendships or championships more important?  Honestly, less kumbaya feelings and more accountability would go a long way for this team.

It's one thing to hate your coach but you get results ie Billy B.

It's another to hate your coach but not get results Billy O' B.

It's an entirely different thing to love your coach while continuously losing in heartbreaking fashion and having to answer the same questions year after year.  

3 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

Right? It's weird how the leaders on this team are so unbelievably loyal to the HC. Even Smitty, you could tell Ryan, Roddy, and Julio all were 100% behind him 

It speaks to how great DQ is as a person but tbh, that doesn't mean squat in the NFL.  It's all about winning.  It's why part of me is ok with the notion to blow it all up.  The blind loyalty inspite of losing is highly concerning to me.

5 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

The kids always love the parent that lets them do what they want...

22 minutes ago, Geneaut said:

Interesting. I mean I'm all for giving 'your' guys breating room, but at this point isn't DQ who we think he is. A guy who can lead a team on horrific losing streaks year after year. There's nothing left to learn about this man.

If we are being honest and objective here, something Quinn does too is go on winning streaks...team started 1-4 in 2018 and got to 4-4. Lost their next 5, and finished on a 3 game winning streak. Last year, 6-2 in the final 8 games. 

Now, by no means am I defending Quinn here. But the trends suggest that at some point, this team WILL go on some kind of meaningless run. 

I seriously doubt this team ends up with a top 10 draft pick.

4 minutes ago, JD dirtybird21 said:

If we are being honest and objective here, something Quinn does too is go on winning streaks...team started 1-4 in 2018 and got to 4-4. Lost their next 5, and finished on a 3 game winning streak. Last year, 6-2 in the final 8 games. 

Now, by no means am I defending Quinn here. But the trends suggest that at some point, this team WILL go on some kind of meaningless run. 

I seriously doubt this team ends up with a top 10 draft pick.

Normally I'd be with you, but I sincerely think they do this year.  If nothing else, injuries are going to play a huge part in an already incompetent team.  Quinn used to blind luck his way into wins based on the talent level of his players.  He is not going to have that convenience this year it seems.

9 minutes ago, athell said:

That is the key difference.  But at the end of the day, are friendships or championships more important?  Honestly, less kumbaya feelings and more accountability would go a long way for this team.

It's one thing to hate your coach but you get results ie Billy B.

It's another to hate your coach but not get results Billy O' B.

It's an entirely different thing to love your coach while continuously losing in heartbreaking fashion and having to answer the same questions year after year.  

I mean, Bill O'Brien's team in the first 5 seasons went 9-7 or better every year except one. In that same amount of time, Quinn only did that twice. He has a better resume then Dan Quinn as a HC. You can say "Well Quinn went to a SB" but that follows up with 28-3 and "That was Shanny not Quinn". His moves as their GM is what really screwed him. 

Edited by PriMeTiiMe