Who is worst coach in Falcons history?

On 10/7/2020 at 11:15 AM, Refried Beans said:

6. Jim Mora- 26-22 Record Mora lost all control of team after Art Blank rolled Vick out onto turf in wheelchair. Mora couldnt control team because they would go right to owner with complaints. Mora was undisciplined but we will never know if he was undermined by Blank. .500 coach non the less. 

Pretty sure he wheeled Vick around in a wheelchair when Reeves was the coach. 

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Bobby Petrino - I don't care what his record was. He was a pure coward

There's a lot of futility in that list. At least Marion Campbell was smart enough to drink. I will say Quinn because has taken this team back near the bad 80's team. The Super Bowl loss is a big part.

This is like a kid in the candy trying to decide what piece of candy they would like. So many to choose from and all would be good choices. 

On 10/7/2020 at 12:48 PM, NaGaBoy said:

3.  June Jones.  I always disrespected June.  When Glanville vacated the HC spot, I think June went to the brass and explained that he was one of the few experienced coaches around that knew the West Coast Offense. 

June Jones ran the Run n Shoot offense, not the WCO.

My vote is Henning.  Mostly based on my memory of how I felt as a fan.  Glanville got you a couple of nice season at least.  June Jones had some exciting plays between the 20s but lost enough that you knew his firing was inevitable.  The Swamp Fox was at least entertaining, even if the team was just horrible (he's probably the worst coach, but his teams were also so consistently bad you knew his firing was inevitable so there was light at the end of the tunnel).

Petrino had the common decency to leave before he completed a season.

Henning had 2 4 and 12 seasons but also two where he give you just enough wins to spoil your draft, but not nearly enough to feel like the team was ever going anywhere.  He never took us to the playoffs, and he wouldn't lose consistently enough for us to make up for it in the draft.  He did draft Scott Case and Bill Fralic, so we owe him for that I guess.  But when Dan Henning was the head coach, especially after firing Bennett, who despite having serious personnel issues managed to coach this team to 3 playoff berths, you just felt the team was never going to get any better.  Hiring Campbell again right after him sort of cemented that perception.  

Lord, this franchise has been terrible.  After Campbell you get Glanville and then Jones before Dan Reeves finally brought some level of respectability.  Then you have the smelling salts kid and Petrino before Smith came along.

Now we have this.  

On 10/7/2020 at 10:15 AM, Refried Beans said:

Dan Henning? Marion Campbell? Dan Quinn? 

1. Bobby Petrino- A true coward. 

2. Jim Hanifan- 0 winning percentage 0-4 

3. Marion Campbell- 11-32 Record and drunk half the time

4. Dan Henning- 22-41- This guy would have been best friends with McKay. Always telling everyone how smart he was and not winning anything

5. June Jones- 19-29 Record The original choker. Coached the Houston Oilers in their monumental collapse against Bills in playoffs. Was tagged as choke of all NFL history until Dan Quinn claimed title. 

6. Jim Mora- 26-22 Record Mora lost all control of team after Art Blank rolled Vick out onto turf in wheelchair. Mora couldnt control team because they would go right to owner with complaints. Mora was undisciplined but we will never know if he was undermined by Blank. .500 coach non the less. 

7. Dan Quinn- 43-37 Record but has been worthless since Shannihan split town. The ultimate rah rah do boy. King of the choke. Knows nothing about in game adjustments and his defenses turn into a pumpkin once Falcons get lead of 21 points or more. A position coach not a head coach. 

8. Jerry Glanville- 27-37 Record.  He had a losing record but the Falcons looked good doing it. 2 Legit to Quit and Deion and the Black Uniforms all came about because of Glanville.  

9.  Leeman Bennet- 46-41 Record. Very underrated coach, had the franchise on the cusp of consistancy until Smith family got sold a bag of bull on Henning. 

10. Dan Reeves- 49-59 Record- Brought respect to what was known in NFL circles as a joke NFL franchise. Drafted Vick and who knows what would have been had Blank not been sold a bag of bull by McKay and bounced Reeves. Vick was under control with Reeves and played his best football, with Mora it all fell apart. 

11. Mike Smith- 66-46 By far the most consistant of all the Falcons coaches. Never lost back to back games. Another fairly good coach bounced by a owner in a knee jerk reaction becasue he listened to a Team President in McKay who has never played football.  

Nice job with the list!  Petrino was BY FAR the worst!

13 hours ago, JDaveG said:

Petrino had the common decency to leave before he completed a season.

I see what you're saying but tt was the way he did it was the biggest problem. I would have had some respect if he stood up and said 'sorry, but it's not good enough so I need to step down.' Instead he tells AB on the Sunday night that he won't resign and then sneaks off the next day with notes left for the players and AB seeing him on TV doing the pig sooey chant. 

9 hours ago, Lornoth said:

Anyone saying Quinn is the worst, well, I just don't understand. I can't stand him right now either but I can't fathom a world where he isn't at least our third best HC ever, which is real sad. 

I could argue 4th best it Leeman Bennett is in the discussion. 

But yeah, any coach that takes us to a Super Bowl is not the worst. Whatever Quinn and Reeves are, they are a cut above the bottom. 

On 10/10/2020 at 4:19 AM, etherdome said:

Reeves started with very little.  His play-calling was conservative, but mostly because he knew the talent on the team.  Also, Reeves never had a GM as talented as TD.  I know TD gets slammed a lot on these boards, but he is way, way better than Ken Herock was.  

I stand by my ranking.  Van Brocklyn was infamous for expecting all of his players to be as talented as he was.  He was a lousy teacher and not adaptive at all.  

Dude. Herock was not Reeves’ GM. He was his own GM. Even though he had Richardson as a figurehead. He was his own worst nightmare. Not having adequate back ups for Jam and Vick cost him three seasons.

Van Brocklin was not nearly as bad as you’re suggesting. He had some expansion level talent. His teams played dam good defense. He had our first winning record and looked cool as hail smoking cigarettes on the sidelines.

1 hour ago, FalconFanSince1970 said:

Dude. Herock was not Reeves’ GM. He was his own GM. Even though he had Richardson as a figurehead. He was his own worst nightmare. Not having adequate back ups for Jam and Vick cost him three seasons.

Van Brocklin was not nearly as bad as you’re suggesting. He had some expansion level talent. His teams played dam good defense. He had our first winning record and looked cool as hail smoking cigarettes on the sidelines.

I stand corrected.  I did not remember that Herok left the year before Reeves took over.  Despite his unhealthy penchant for TE's, Reeves did a formidable job coaching the team to the Super Bowl.