What Other QB's Would You Really Want Over Ryan Now or Next Year?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quinn and Koetter are my pressing concern right now. 

Fields/Lawrence/Lance, we will suck next year with or without Ryan but at least the transition will be smooth.

For me its also Dimi...

Posted Images

45 minutes ago, tl;dr said:

I like where your head is. I'm fine taking a QB in the 2nd or 3rd if the right one is available. Kyle Trask is having a good year as well. 

If we get the number 1 overall pick, I think we have to trade it. Someone would be willing to pay a fortune for Lawrence I'm sure. Collect picks. If we could trade back and get someone like Lance, Trask, or Wilson later and get a fortune for the number 1 pick, I'm all for it. 

Agreed...if we could get a similar return as the Rams who moved down 4 spots and got two 1st round picks and a 2nd round pick, I’m down.  

Redskins receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 2: QB Robert Griffin III) 
Rams receive: 2012 first-rounder (No. 6: Traded to Cowboys), 2012 second-round selection (No. 39: CB Janoris Jenkins), 2013 first-rounder (No. 22: Traded to Falcons), 2014 first-rounder (No. 2: OT Greg Robinson)

Matt Ryan is not in the top three QB rankings but he is still in his prime and has at least 3-5 years left in the top echelon.  Putting another QB on this team at this point would be counter productive.  Give him a decent O line so that he doesn't have to run for his life, and time to go through his progressions like Brees, Rodgers, Brady and a few others, and you will see how valuable he is.  You don't find Franchise QBs, which Ryan is, everyday .

1 hour ago, Akod2017 said:

Lawrence, Chase, Sewell, and Parsons might all get that generational tag. So my guess is we win enough games to miss all of them.

Almost every scouting report on Lawrence: "Big size (6'6" or 6'7" 220), Superb decision-making skills, especially in clutch situations and in big games, and he understands the importance of ball security. His overall touch, timing and anticipation are very good. Lawrence knows how to lead receivers open and spots the ball very well on back-shoulder throws. Top-tier arm strength. He drives the ball vertically with ease and gets excellent velocity on deeper throws outside the numbers. Lawrence has good pocket mobility for such a tall quarterback, showing solid quickness in the pocket and displaying a very good feel for pressure. Very athletic. He's a long strider with very good speed build-up when he takes off running. He's a once-in-a-decade type quarterback prospect who projects as an immediate NFL starter and should quickly emerge as a top-tier starter at the next level."

If you're in a position to get Lawrence, you have to get him.

Edited by MilleniumFalcon
8 hours ago, jlrfalcon said:

Aaron Rodgers was actually a point of interest on draft day after the Packers drafted Jordan Love.  To many, perhaps including Rodgers himself, it seemed to indicate that Green Bay was ready to move on from a washed-up veteran QB.  Of course, 4 games into this season, would anyone question who Green Bay's starter is?

The Bears had Mitchell Trubisky slated as their young starting QB for the future going into this year.  However, they have now turned to old guy Nick Foles as their starter.  He had a great 1/2 game or so against us and a so-so game against the top defense of the Colts.  Will he still be their starter at the end of 2020?

Deshaun Watson was supposed to be a bright young star to lead the Texans to multiple SuperBowls.  Instead, he is staring at a fired HC and and 0-4 record at present and is really not standing out like the young star he is supposed to be.

As for us, Matt Ryan actually had pretty good games against Seattle and Dallas but his performances were overwhelmed by his team's poor defense.  However, against Chicago and Green Bay, he was mediocre, especially without his best receivers fully available.  Hurst has been OK as a tight end but clearly has not been the safety net Hooper was to him and will he ever have a game without being sacked 2-3 times.

My question, though, is this - what QB would you really want over Ryan?

Would you prefer the Falcons have one of the old guys - short-pass Brees or no-touch Brady?  Will they last forever?

You might logically want Mahomes given how well KC is playing but how many other young QB's are out there like him?

Josh Allen might be a hot grab at present but is he just another Carson Wentz that will soon fade away?

Russell Wilson or Rodgers would probably be popular options right now but both of them have had slumps in their careers?

Other options might be Kyler Murray or Prescott or Lamar Jackson or so, but are there really that many you would want above Ryan?

The first pick draft option for Trevor Lawrence might actually be our option, but is he really going to just step in a starting role in the NFL and thrive?  Even the best young QB's have mediocre rookie years and for every great one, at least 2 or 3 probably fail.  And, UGA fans would be uncertain to accept Justin Fields as our new QB. 

In the past, Flacco was supposed to be Ryan's equal but has faded away.  Ryan was also compared a lot to Stafford, but the latter is facing similar struggles this year.  Ryan was compared to Cam Newton for years, but Carolina dumped their "treasure" and then subsequently now see him on a COVID list in New England.

Simply, as much as many fans in Atlanta are ready to just dump Ryan after a couple of bad games where he has been only part of the problem and where he has not had his full corps (much less a good OC), he is still far above average of what we could definitively replace him with and this team has many other needs where an upgrade would provide more benefit.

I hate to jump in late.......but....

You pose a hypothetical question.....then ask for a realistic answer.....?

I wont attack that, with opinion, Ill start with fact

Nowhere in the history of man, has zero, been far above average...

Rebuttal being...."Ryan is not the whole problem"

The evidence says....he is not the solution....and he has proven that to you....over.....and over.....and over......and over......and over again

In your post you state something like...."one of the old guys"

This proves my point from a previous topic, that most fans of Matt Ryan or Pro Ryan guys that are "not fans" of Matt Ryan.....Are in denial when it comes to Matt Ryan

Matt Ryan IS............One of the old guys.......

Board it up......Its time for a new future....

4 minutes ago, the baptist said:

You pose a hypothetical question.....then ask for a realistic answer.....?

There seem to be tons of anti-Ryan threads after these past 2 weeks with the notion that finding an upgrade to him is just a snap away.

I agree there are some clearly better QB's in the NFL than him right now but there are many more teams that would consider Ryan an upgrade to what they have.

I also agree a new rookie might be better but there is no certainty that any rookie would be better than him, especially in the short term.

So, my question in very blunt terms is how many QB's would you rather have than Ryan for the next couple of years - even the biggest Ryan-haters would struggle to name 10.

5 minutes ago, jlrfalcon said:

There seem to be tons of anti-Ryan threads after these past 2 weeks with the notion that finding an upgrade to him is just a snap away.

I agree there are some clearly better QB's in the NFL than him right now but there are many more teams that would consider Ryan an upgrade to what they have.

I also agree a new rookie might be better but there is no certainty that any rookie would be better than him, especially in the short term.

So, my question in very blunt terms is how many QB's would you rather have than Ryan for the next couple of years - even the biggest Ryan-haters would struggle to name 10.

I understand your point.....my rebuttal

But where is this team headed in the "short term"? Because its not the Superbowl

I see in another post you allude to being happy with "making the playoffs"

So where you and I will differ, always, is on a foundational level. 

Long term this team will suffer for sticking with Matt Ryan in the "Short Term"

Matt Ryan is not the solution, and he has enough on tape for any Matt Ryan fan to realize that

I can name 10 by the way....Watson,Jackson,Mahomes,Brees,Brady,Rodgers,Burrow,Wilson,Lawrence,Fields

4 hours ago, Hard Case said:

Matt Ryan is not in the top three QB rankings but he is still in his prime and has at least 3-5 years left in the top echelon.  Putting another QB on this team at this point would be counter productive.  Give him a decent O line so that he doesn't have to run for his life, and time to go through his progressions like Brees, Rodgers, Brady and a few others, and you will see how valuable he is.  You don't find Franchise QBs, which Ryan is, everyday .

Where in the world does "top echelon" equate to zero?

No. He doesnt bruh.. He really doesn't. He's on the decline and has been since last yr. He cant hit a receiver in stride to save his life.

We just drafted 2 o line man last year tho ... Mack is top 3 center and Matthews is solid ... Carpenter the weakest link but the line is not that terrible 

I do not see QB as a problem for the Falcons, and it is foolish to suggest it is. I'd much rather see this organization finally build a good defense, and good OL, which they've rarely done. Why bother getting a hyped up rookie QB if all they're going to do is loose because of the inadequacies of the team and front office around them. Star power does not equate to championships.

13 hours ago, JetJones11 said:

We just drafted 2 o line man last year tho ... Mack is top 3 center and Matthews is solid ... Carpenter the weakest link but the line is not that terrible 

Matt was sacked 4 times vs GB , LG and RT  are questionable, and Mack is average now, not All Star.